Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
A Lannister always pays his debts.
badge
"There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes."
mbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I'm currently in the process of learning ASLSK #1 and I'm having a blast. Thanks to Jay Richardson's excellent tutorial series I was able to play through S1 yesterday. I restarted the scenario today and face a routing situation in turn 1 that I would like to have clarified.

I recreated the situation in VASSAL, here's what it looks like:

Both units in L5 are broken (a lucky shot through grain from the Germans in O10) and need to rout. Since there is LOS to both K9 and O10, the buildings in K6 and M6 are out. There is also LOS to P1, so any movement along the street to M5 is also forbidden. I cannot reach I4, I5, I6, J3 or K4 without gaining LOS on the units in the upper left, so the only possible move would be K5 and I would Low Crawl there.

Is my assumption correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I´m quite new to ASL as well, but I do believe you can rout to K6 as the building in K8 is an obstacle to LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Unger
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CombatWombat81 wrote:
Now, I´m quite new to ASL as well, but I do believe you can rout to K6 as the building in K8 is an obstacle to LOS.

I thought that since I have LOS to the unit in K9 (used thread to confirm this), I cannot ever move closer to it during this RPh. At least the rules say so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really tight but I agree there is LOS between L5 and K9. The building K8 does not get in a way. So K6 is out.

However my VASL map says that there is NO los from L5 to P1. M4 gets in the way. Neither can they see those two Germans in I2, J1. So at this time your potential destinations are K4, L3 or M4. So you must pick one of those.

Then you make a decision to either low crawl towards one of them or rout normally (low crawl hexes K5, L4 and M5 are all legal).

Here's what happens if you rout normally.
a) Destination M4, through M5: If you move to M5 on your way to M4, you come into LOS of I2 and P1. No interdiction because their range is only 4. Now you must pick a new destination, because M4 would be closer to those newly seen Germans. Any hex would move you closer to an enemy unit so you must stop there, in M5.

b) Destination L3 (or M4 or K4), through L4: You will be interdicted in L4 from J1 and because any further move would move you closer to enemy units and because you can't stop in Open Ground in normal range of enemy units, they will be eliminated for failure to rout. So don't pick L4 without low crawl.

c) Destination K4, through K5: In K5 you get into LOS of northern enemy units and must pick a new destination. You can pick I6 which is at the same distance from K9 as your starting point. You can rout there through J5.

So, there is a way to get safely to I6 by going first to K5 and then because you have to pick a new destination, pick I6 and rout there. At no point in that rout will you move closer to a Known enemy unit.

edit: L4 is a death trap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miikka was quicker of the mark and gave a better answer so I deleted mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more note. On its way to I6 it must go through J5. There is another tight LOS between K9 and J5. My VASL map says the LOS is blocked just barely. But what if it wasn't blocked? Could the K9 guys interdict?

The answer is no, because they are CX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Unger
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks a lot Miikka!

I probably should've checked LOS in VASSAL, too, in order to see that there is indeed no LOS to P1. My fault.
Your list of available options was very insightful, routing is probably the most difficult thing for me in ASLSK #1.

I finally routed to I6 via K5 and J5. While K9 cannot interdict because of the CX (I figured that out on my own ), my unit suffers interdiction from I2, right? I played it that way, but the attack had no effect anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schaulustiger wrote:
my unit suffers interdiction from I2, right?

No. While J5 is an Open Ground hex, it is NOT Open Ground to units in I2 because of the Orchard hindrance in between them.

Just like in Defensive First Fire the FFMO -1 DRM does not apply if there are hindrances in between the firer and the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Unger
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
No. While J5 is an Open Ground hex, it is NOT Open Ground to units in I2 because of the Orchard hindrance in between them.

Just like in Defensive First Fire the FFMO -1 DRM does not apply if there are hindrances in between the firer and the target.

Ah right, I somehow didn't realize that. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that not all DM units in OG are always required to rout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.