United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
In answering another question posted regarding siege resolution the designer posted the following response:

Quote:
the active player who is defending in a siege must "declare" the location at some point in the combat phase, but can then choose to remain inside the castle and thus avoid hostilities. (It can matter whether you've declared a location yet, should units retreat into that location from another combat site.)

That got me thinking about another question. Let's say the besieged player is active and declares combat in that besieged castle's location. Later in the turn, some of that player's blocks retreat into this besieged location. Since the blocks in the castle have already declared combat in that location, does that mean when these retreating blocks fight, they do so without the blocks in the castle?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the originally declared combat turn out?

The latter blocks will either be retreating into a declared Siege, a fresh Siege or new Battle, depending on what happened there first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocks retreating into a siege situation that has already been declared this turn join their side but do not fight this turn. If their side is besieged, they join inside the castle. In this way it is possible to temporarily violate the castle stacking limit-- but only until the next round of combat declarations.

There's a rule about this exact situation in the book. I have never seen this happen in a game, but I felt it needed specific treatment because it's a situation in which something unexpected is forced to occur (either violating castle limits, separating a force in same location, or enacting combat multiple times for same blocks in same location and turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. Adam, I was referring to the blocks that were already inside the castle due to a pre-existing siege. When it is that player's turn (the player who owns the besieged blocks) that player must declare combat for those castle blocks by either a) doing nothing and stay in the castle or b) come out and fight.

It matters not what they actually do, but the issue is the timing on declaring combat in that space. According to Matt above, if you declare their combat before any friendly blocks retreat into the besieged space in question, then those castle blocks cannot join the fight (since they have already declared their combat for the turn). However, if those besieged castle blocks have not declared yet for the turn, then they must fight with any friendly blocks that end up retreating into that space

I am guessing (please correct me if I am wrong) that blocks cannot be declared for combat twice. The only way blocks fight twice is if they retreat from one combat into an enemy-occupied location
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
...if you declare their combat before any friendly blocks retreat into the besieged space in question, then those castle blocks cannot join the fight...

Then there can be no fight at all. The blocks retreating into that location from the other battle will simply exceed the castle's stacking limits until the enemy's next turn. As Matt says. All blocks in a location must be elegible to fight together. The existing blocks having already declared a siege that turn cannot fight again.

[... Edit]

voynix wrote:
The only way blocks fight twice is if they retreat from one combat into an enemy-occupied location.

Yes. Unless they retreat into a location where you have already declared/created a state of siege from a prior battle fought in this turn of yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you retreat blocks into a siege that has not been declared yet, and you are the besieged party, then when you declare combat you must fight a battle. Reason: the new blocks arrived outside the castle, and the old blocks must fight alongside them. If that battle is lost, you are welcome to retreat any 2 of your blocks back to the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.