No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a personal project implementing iPAD version of hornet / phantom leader on iPAD. The reason of this study is to test if iPAD's screen size is big enough / feasible enough for HL/PL boardgame conversion.

It turned out the game counter size (50x50 pixel) and tactical display (768X768 pixel square) size is still readable and managable, although i have to change the touchscreen behaviour so the counters are not covered by fingers when we move them around. the only counter available for player will be airplane / strike group movement and that will be constrained within the tactical display grid.

There's no AI yet , no mission cards, no event cards, no campaign tracking .. just tactical board and counters on it. basically its just a random mission/target site and bandit generator..

Off course this is not what people want in iPad, since the iOS survey said most want dominion, agricola , arkham horror, space hulk or 7 wonders.. Hornet Leader Carrier Ops is not a massive success like those boardgames i mentioned but to me this game tops every game that i have , better than my previous favorite (arkham horror and spacehulk).

Finding Hornet Leader among boardgames is like finding the best and most valuable treasure inside a treasure vaul filled with other treasures.. a niche solitaire wargame that i love dearly =D

regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good. As a solo game I would have thought that this would be a good candidate for iPad conversion and might be more popular than you may think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome. I would pay for a fully-ipad-playable version of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herodian wrote:
This looks awesome. I would pay for a fully-ipad-playable version of this game.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even have an iPad and I would buy a version of it, just to support such wargame endeavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rankin
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks good. There is a company http://www.shenandoah-studio.com/ who is also lists that they are developing this game for the iPad as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benrankin wrote:
The game looks good. There is a company http://www.shenandoah-studio.com/ who is also lists that they are developing this game for the iPad as well.

thanks benrankin, im currently implementing the menu system and campaign setup screen (including pilot selection).

im also eagerly waiting for shenandoah-studio but it seem they are in process of acquiring funds and not yet starting development.

regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
benrankin wrote:

thanks benrankin, im currently implementing the menu system and campaign setup screen (including pilot selection).

im also eagerly waiting for shenandoah-studio but it seem they are in process of acquiring funds and not yet starting development.

regards

just out of interest how much funds are needed to finish a project like this? you could put it on kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:

just out of interest how much funds are needed to finish a project like this? you could put it on kickstarter?

i honestly cannot say because im not related to shenandoah studio. The funds should depends on their development team's size. a profesional game company usually have to factor in the Game-Designer, Game-Artist and Game-Programmer. With existing game the Art/Graphic Assets should be already available (assuming they want to port the boardgame art directly), then the programmer will code in the completed design in set time (depends on how complex the design).. just like another software project =D

i remember back then in ATARI2600 and APPLE II days when the programmer is also the Artist and also the Animator and also the Game Designer.. Classic Games like KARATEKA is designed and coded by 1 person (Jordan Mechner).. and countless other classic games..

Even Chris Crawford designed and programmed his EASTERN FRONT game (for ATARI) by himself..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
you could put it on kickstarter?

btw whats a kickstarter ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
i honestly cannot say because im not related to shenandoah studio.

I was asking how much you needed to fund your project, not shenandoah.

dprijadi wrote:
btw whats a kickstarter ?

it's a project funding site. you put your project up there with the amount you need to raise and people who are interested will help you by giving you money, usually in exchange for a copy of the product at launch. I don't see why it couldn't work with an iOS app.

http://www.kickstarter.com?ref=bggforums

For me it would be a no brainer. I have Hornet II on my wish list of print and plays to craft, and I am an iOS board gamer. I'd definitely want to see this project happen. Have you spoken to Dan Verssen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
putting my development diary in this site :

http://ipadhornetleader.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
since DVG is on the track of releasing the official phantom leader and hornet leader in 2012, im thinking of re-creating the current hornet leader game that i created into a REBEL LEADER game, but i ran into trouble in creating the same sense of fun in REBEL LEADER.. afaik the XWING vs TIE dogfight use mostly lasers for short range (just like fighter using guns) and no missiles.. though a TIE fighter counter counts for 2 or more TIE vs a single X-WING..

also the ground defense on STARWARS universe is kinda simpler compared to the AAA/SAM type..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.