Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Fugazza
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In scenarios 5 and 7 AA fire is rolled with D6, a german aircraft will be hit with a die roll of six ? what's the AA range ?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Ollikainen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would like to have clarification to this. It seems that the scenario related instructions are in conflict with the AA rules?

I have played the scenarios so that the AA works just as the fire phase of the game: Roll 1D6, if plane is within the range less or equal to the result the plane is taking a hit. This means that when you are next to or above the target hex you are taking a hit without any dice roll... This leads to most devastating AA during WW2 and is not very realistic. Anyway it is still possible to win with the raiders if you manage to avoid the interceptors during your bombing run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Brinkmann
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
I totally agree that the rules regarding AA are not very clear.

For AA guns it says at page 21 that for light or heavy AA guns D10 dice are rolled equal to the number shown in the table at page 23. The table is very nice and informative. However, the scenario rules appear to completely ignore these rules and the table.

For example, in scenario six "An Unknown Victory" it is referred to an airfield occupying 2 hexes with 1D6 die AA strength and Damage Strength 5. However, the table at page 23 does not describe such a target. The scenario description also fails to explain whether this airfield is equipped with light of heavy AA guns. Without this explanation it is difficult to determine the range of the AA gun. A heavy AA gun has a range of 0 to 25 while a light AA gun has a range of 0 to 15 hexes (see the table at page 23).

Due to the missing information we decided in our games that the airfield is like a "Alliend Minor Airfield". That means that one D10 is rolled to determine hits. A hit is obtained on a 10 and since a "Alliend Minor Airfield" only has light AA guns the range is 0 to 15 hexes and only 1D10 is rolled.

In scenario six "An Unknown Victory" as well as in the scenario's 5 and 7 Alberto referred to they talk about the "strength" of the AA gun. The rules at pages 21 to 23 do not talk about the "strength" of an AA gun at all. I would therefore also be interested to find out what it means.

Quote:
Quote:
I have played the scenarios so that the AA works just as the fire phase of the game: Roll 1D6, if plane is within the range less or equal to the result the plane is taking a hit. This means that when you are next to or above the target hex you are taking a hit without any dice roll... This leads to most devastating AA during WW2 and is not very realistic. Anyway it is still possible to win with the raiders if you manage to avoid the interceptors during your bombing run.

Timo I would also be interested to know where you found the above information in the rule book that a D6 is rolled to determine hits. I might have overlooked some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Ollikainen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leithian wrote:
...in scenario six "An Unknown Victory" it is referred to an airfield occupying 2 hexes with 1D6 die AA strength and Damage Strength 5.

I understand this so that the Airfield has to take five hits before it is destroyed.

leithian wrote:

Timo I would also be interested to know where you found the above information in the rule book that a D6 is rolled to determine hits. I might have overlooked some rules.

Well, this is just how I have played the game (once) when I tried to understand what the "scenario spesific" rules are trying to say about the AA. Maybe I was inspired by the BC/BS rulebook while I tried to say that this is not the way to go . After this we have played according the the AA rules for the Allied Minor Airfield, but with the Airfield damage value of 5 and using 1D6 so that the AA scores a hit when number six is rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Brinkmann
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Quote:
Well, this is just how I have played the game (once) when I tried to understand what the "scenario spesific" rules are trying to say about the AA. Maybe I was inspired by the BC/BS rulebook while I tried to say that this is not the way to go . After this we have played according the the AA rules for the Allied Minor Airfield, but with the Airfield damage value of 5 and using 1D6 so that the AA scores a hit when number six is rolled.

Regarding the use of D10 dice instead of D6 Bartow wrote in another thread (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/872997/aa-in-scenario-5) that he contacted John and received the following information:

Quote:
I emailed John, the designer, about scenario #5 and here is what he wrote back to me:

"In scenario 5, change 4D6 to 4d10 dice. Range of 15 and hits on a 10. As to friend or foe: Yes, any a/c within range of the AA is a target. However, the defender has the choice as to when to start firing the AA. Once it starts,it continues until the game's end.
Hope this helps.
-John "

Thus, according to my understanding this would mean that for the other scenarios D6 would need to be replaced with D10 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leithian wrote:
I totally agree that the rules regarding AA are not very clear.

Maybe the whole rulebook?whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.