6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any Macroeconomics games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there any games which focus on the macro side of economics ?

Something that combines labour, capital, foreign exchange, gdp and such ? most games takes only 1 or 2 aspect.

It's probably hard to combine many different aspects of macro economics together but maybe someone will surprise me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an expert, but what about Imperial 2030?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Chang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Container?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Wealth of Nations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any macroeconomic board game would need two sets of rules: one for Keynesians and one for monitarists. Of course, the later wouldn't be an accurate economic simulation but is still preferred to be played by the plutocratic elite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to ask for suggestions of game like this as well.

What inspired the question for me was recent news about China allegedly keeping their currency purposefully over-inflated, or artificially weak, apparently to boost their exports. Similarly, Japan is currently suffering from deflation, which is hurting their exports.

In truth I know little about either situation, but that's partly why I'd want to explore the concepts in a game. There must be both advantages and disadvantages to a strong currency, and certain circumstances that would make it advantageous to strengthen or weaken your own currency to play the world markets.

I would envision a game where there is a round of currency trading or shifting currency valuation (with players throwing around their weight and maybe adjusting their nations' interest rates to affect currency valuations). This would be followed by a round of importing and exporting, spending the various currencies obtained in exchange for necessary good.

Probably an unworkable (and boring?) game if that's all there is, but I'm wondering if the description rings a bell for anyone as to games already out there.
Not games pop to my mind, though Acquire has some fascinating stock buying mechanics that could have parallels to currency trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.