Popular Tags: [View All]
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Like many others, I find it endlessly strange that there's absolutely no "law" element in Cargo Noir, so I added my own with an eye toward keeping things as simple as possible, plus I tossed in another wrinkle to liven things up:

-If ever cargo tokens are being pulled from the bag to replace the empty spaces on the board and two 'wild' tokens suddenly wind up in the same port, BAM, the police raid everyone's warehouses. Everyone must dump all their cargo immediately, or pay 2 coins to the feds in bribes for each cargo token kept. This is something that will definitely not happen in every game; there's just enough threat to keep it in mind.

-If two or more ships are in the same port, competing for that cargo, a player may, once per game, announce that he won't be paying ANYTHING for the cargo, thank you very much! A gunfight breaks out. The player who initiated it walks away from the port with the cargo, for which he pays nothing, AND he steals all the coins that were at the port--unless, when drawing a token from the bag upon his announcement, the token matches one he currently holds in his warehouse. In this case, it's anyone's gunfight to win--choose one of the ships in the port at random, and that player is the winner of the fight.

-Another law variant that seems easy to employ is to move a token clockwise from one port to the next on each turn; wherever the token is, the police are eyeing that port, and any victorious bid there might bring the cops in. Upon winning the bid, the victor draws a random token from the bag; if it's one that matches one currently in his warehouse, there's a raid. The cargo at that point is lost, as are the coins everyone used for bidding. But if there's no raid, it's business as usual with the winning bidder also granted a bonus cargo token from Macao.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Galluzzo

Pennsylvania
msg tools
These are really great suggestions. I also think this could be a much better game with the element of "law" and risk of illegal activity. I'm still waiting to play the game, but when I do I'll try to post suggestions as well.

Have you tried any of these suggestions yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played with these tweaks a couple of times and nothing seemed to break mechanics-wise; for me, they are easy to add and produce a very minor game effect while adding just a few cc's of theme. I would still recommend Cargo Noir without adding any modifications such as these. Sometimes the simplest games can have the most allure, and Cargo Noir could be one of those for the right people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.