Piece o' Cake» Forums » Rules

Subject: Have to collect new slice of the variety which you're collecting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
就 就頭
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once I've collected any slice of 1 variety, I have to collect a newly-received slice of the same variety? Or I can still choose eating it?

For example, I've collected 2 slices of NO.11 placed in front of me, and from a new cake, I obtain another 2 slices of NO.11. In this case, can I choose collecting one and eating the other slice?

Now, we play it with allowing choosing to eat. However, I think if forcing player to collect the new slices, maybe they will have different strategy and select another piece instead. Besides, I guess that the probability of choosing "forfeit" may increase.

Have you ever consider this variant/detailed rule? Will it make the game more balanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still choose to eat. Part of the joy of this game is the fine balance between risking eating a slice you are collecting (and on which you may be overtaken), versus keeping the slice to make sure of the points you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
就 就頭
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take the same example and discuss it further.
I'll collect 4 slices of NO.11 after I'm forced to collect the last 2 slices. It's not a great decision obviously(total 12 dollops). For avoiding this situation, I would select another piece instead ahead. Or I still make it happened and wait for a good "forfeit" chance later.

When I skip 2 slices of NO.11, it means another player may collect more 2 slices. It's a risk because the decision makes the probability of losing the NO.11 competition higher. I could overtake NO.11 slices to make sure of the points I already have, but it would be a struggle.

This rule also provides the same joy. To overtake slices by deciding to collect the obtained slices or by selecting the piece including the slices, it's the main difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you are getting at: instead of being able to eat slices I've been collecting, I should avoid any offerings with those slices if I have enough of them already (unless I want to keep someone else from overtaking me in that type).

Without trying it, I'll say that it sounds like an interesting variant. It may result in players eating more slices at the beginning of the game, rather than committing to too many at the start. And it's especially difficult for the high-frequency flavors, as those will appear more often and are more difficult to avoid taking.

I think most people that I know would still prefer the rules as written, as they are more intuitive and also allow more freedom. The people I play with do not like to be locked into something early in the game--even in a short game.

Feel free to try it as your own house variant, however! Thanks for you interest, and for the thoughtful analysis on the game's mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
就 就頭
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank boltongeordie & Jeffrey.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.