Subject: Exerting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am faced with a Cliffhanger test which requires the rolling of, say, 4 dice. Do I roll the 4 dice and then, if necessary, take some wounds to roll additional dice, or do I have to decide before any rolling, that I am going to exert myself and only do one roll. The rules talk about exerting one at a time which appears to indicate that, in my example, I roll 4 dice and, if I fail, I take a wound, roll again and so on ad infinitum until I get a success or have only one wound left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet, but that's what I got from reading the rules online. You can keep trying to exert until you succeed or have no more life/wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forlorn hope wrote:
I am faced with a Cliffhanger test which requires the rolling of, say, 4 dice. Do I roll the 4 dice and then, if necessary, take some wounds to roll additional dice, or do I have to decide before any rolling, that I am going to exert myself and only do one roll. The rules talk about exerting one at a time which appears to indicate that, in my example, I roll 4 dice and, if I fail, I take a wound, roll again and so on ad infinitum until I get a success or have only one wound left.
You may Exert after seeing the results of your regular roll, and may Exert one wound/die at a time.

So, if you normally roll four dice and get no successes, you may take a Wound and roll another die. If that first Exertion does not help, then you can Exert again (assuming you have another Wound available) rolling another die. This repeats until you run out of Wounds to Exert with (and are KO'd) or finally get a success. At that point, you have either passed the test or another round of die rolling is required, in which case you start with your 4 normal dice, again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From page 8 pf the rules:

Quote:
....A Hero may Exert as many times as they like (and may do so one at a time), but may not KO themselves by Exerting....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
From page 8 pf the rules:

Quote:
....A Hero may Exert as many times as they like (and may do so one at a time), but may not KO themselves by Exerting....
Ooops, yes. Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Compter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had originally interpreted the rules just as Martin had, that is, AFTER your normal roll, roll 1 die at a time until you either get a success or until you run out of wounds to apply to yourself.

In fact, in our last game at home, I was trying to explain this to my wife, who insisted on taking the wound and adding the extra die to her normal roll. I thought she was being foolish, but now I'm not certain that she wasn't doing it according to the INTENT of the rules, if not the letter.

In support of this, I direct your attention to the second sentence following:

"A Hero may Exert as many times as they like (and
may do so one at a time), but may not KO themselves by
Exerting. Another important note is that the extra Adventure
Dice from Exerting is only for the current roll.
If the Hero
gets to roll the dice again (for having gotten at least one
Success), the extra Adventure Dice from Exerting are NOT
included in subsequent rolls."

That sentence implies to me that you can choose how many wounds to take on a given roll, but that the extra dice must be rolled WITH your normal roll.

My other supporting argument is this: It's clear that you're not allowed to exert to the point of KO'ing yourself. But if you were to roll 1 die at a time until you only had one wound left, and still failed, you've effectively KO'd yourself anyway, right?

Thoughts?

_________
| homas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but...
Quote:
"A Hero may Exert as many times as they like (and may do so one at a time), but may not KO themselves by Exerting. Another important note is that the extra Adventure Dice from Exerting is only for the current roll. If the Hero gets to roll the dice again (for having gotten at least one Success), the extra Adventure Dice from Exerting are NOT included in subsequent rolls."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasC wrote:
"A Hero may Exert as many times as they like (and
may do so one at a time), but may not KO themselves by
Exerting. Another important note is that the extra Adventure
Dice from Exerting is only for the current roll.
If the Hero
gets to roll the dice again (for having gotten at least one
Success), the extra Adventure Dice from Exerting are NOT
included in subsequent rolls."

I'm pretty sure that the point of this quote is primarily to accentuate the notion that any extra dice gained by exerting does not count when you get to reroll. For example: you get four dice to roll, need two successes, you get no successes when you roll, you exert once and with that die you get one success which is enough to reroll those original four dice again to try for your second success. You do NOT get four plus the one from exerting on this reroll. That's all that part is saying - just a reminder that your dice from exertion only counts that one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.