Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First things first.

Started playing today. only with one core set. Tried the first scenario with every spere deck included to get feel for it.
But i am a former magic, lotr tcg and older version, legende of the five rings, star wars,... and so on ccg player. So the deckbuilding started to ich a bit.

I only opened my first coreset and trying out some stuff. But it is time to open my second set and see what i can come up with.

In lotr tcg i had a dwarven/orc deck and a choke fast aragorn arwen legolas deck.

I am trying to go for a fast deck. so far i came up with this.

gandalf to the rescue

Hero (3)
Aragorn (Core) x1
Eowyn (Core) x1
Theodred (Core) x1

Ally (18)
Faramir (Core) x3
Guard of the Citadel (Core) x3
Northern Tracker (Core) x3
Snowbourn Scout (Core) x3
Wandering Took (Core) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3

Attachment (10)
Celebrian's Stone (Core) x2
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
The Favor of the Lady (Core) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x2

Event (22)
A Light in the Dark (Core) x3
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x2
Hasty Stroke (Core) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x3
Will of the West (Core) x2
Ever Vigilant (Core) x3

A few flaws i am not sure i will be able to pay the northern trackers soon enough.
I have no healing and no carddraw abilities.
I have not tried nor explored the other quest so i have no idea what they have in store.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Including buy a third set :-).
With suggestions i mean pointers, tips, things that a new player to this game could have missed. Please dont suggest a full other deck cause i like to deck build myself.

greetings and thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look through the several months worth of forum posts. Lots of opinions there. See the Strategy posts for deck building, etc. Be sure you have a copy of the FFG FAQ. Also see the files section for many useful player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer not to read to many strategy post.
Looked at that player aid but not printed it out yet.
I read that faq with all the cards and the explenations of them hope that is enough.

thanks for the tips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
Your deck seems solid enough - I would substitute 3 "Stand and Fight" cards for the "A Light in the Dark" cards, but otherwise you should be good to go. Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions.

I originally had that card. But it would mostly be to try to get gandalf back from discardpile, but that is not allowed i think. Since the card says in between brackets(it can be an ally of any sphere), since gandalf is neutral i think that you cant bring him back. Even if possible it would be 5 spirit resources, which is alot.

A light in the dark is pretty strong to imo. Since you can do it before defending if needed, but even better if you are defending and you pull a nasty shadow you can still use, since you can do an action after shadow card and before damage resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Baelrath wrote:
I originally had that card. But it would mostly be to try to get gandalf back from discardpile, but that is not allowed i think. Since the card says in between brackets(it can be an ally of any sphere, since gandalf is neutral i think that you cant bring him back). Even if possible it would be 5 spirit resources, which is alot.

Nate French has just clarified that you cannot use it on Gandalf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,thats what i suspected.

A light in the dark stays then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Baelrath wrote:
I originally had that card. But it would mostly be to try to get gandalf back from discardpile, but that is not allowed i think. Since the card says in between brackets(it can be an ally of any sphere, since gandalf is neutral i think that you cant bring him back). Even if possible it would be 5 spirit resources, which is alot.

I didn't know that, but it does not change my recommendation. It is still more useful than "A Light in the Dark", imo. The latter gains some value if you use Dunhere, but it is expensive and quite situational - much more so than "Stand and Fight". Try it both ways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still thinking about it. a light in the dark is pretty versatile.

But after some math it obvious i have more spirit in my deck then leadership. Maybe i should go with one more spirit hero instead of aragorn or theodred.

My most expensive leadershipcard would then be faramir. If i have steward of gondor he is easy enough to bring into play.
If not i could discard him with eowyn and then bring him back with stand and fight.

I sure would miss aragorn. So think i will keep him. Loosing theodred also means loosing one resource per turn.(more or less)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Baelrath wrote:
Still thinking about it. a light in the dark is pretty versatile.

But after some math it obvious i have more spirit in my deck then leadership. Maybe i should go with one more spirit hero instead of aragorn or theodred.

My most expensive leadershipcard would then be faramir. If i have steward of gondor he is easy enough to bring into play.
If not i could discard him with eowyn and then bring him back with stand and fight.

I sure would miss aragorn. So think i will keep him. Loosing theodred also means loosing one resource per turn.(more or less)

I would keep Theodred, for the resources. Aragorn is more powerful, sure, but he is much more expensive, and his ability will be all the more expensive with only one leadership hero. Allies can substitute adequately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Youre probably right.

Just won the second scenario for the first time but with the deck like above. It wasnt easy and use lots of gandalf for threat reduction and also galadhrims greeting. The trolls are a real menace but i like it.

Exchanging aragorn would mean i can keep the trolls at bay a bit longer. But i would need something to defend and attack in his stead. Still willing to give it a go.

Ony have this game since yesterday, but i have to look out all my form ccg deckbuilding addictions are coming out again. although in most other games i was able to construct a very powerfull deck. Seems really hard to do such a thing in lotr lcg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Baelrath wrote:

wow
That can't be right... It's just too hard to believe that was the intended design in the first place and it just doesn't seem logical. If this was the original design of the card, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the first FAQ since people have been playing it like so from the beginning. There's really no reason to believe you can't use it on a neutral ally since the parenthetical "clarification" doesn't say it can't be used on a neutral ally. If that's really how it's supposed to work, though, I hope FFG stops being so sloppy with their wording.

I still wonder if this is just some circulating misinformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baelrath wrote:

Gawd really ? If the rules to this game get any more esoteric and based on the whim of the publishers (dependent on their mood and day of the week) it will statistically be impossible for anyone to ever be playing 100% correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snailien wrote:
Baelrath wrote:

wow
That can't be right... It's just too hard to believe that was the intended design in the first place and it just doesn't seem logical. If this was the original design of the card, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the first FAQ since people have been playing it like so from the beginning. There's really no reason to believe you can't use it on a neutral ally since the parenthetical "clarification" doesn't say it can't be used on a neutral ally. If that's really how it's supposed to work, though, I hope FFG stops being so sloppy with their wording.

I still wonder if this is just some circulating misinformation.

According to the thread someone emailed him and got back that answer. I agree it is a poor ruling for a poorly worded card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baelrath wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions. Including buy a third set :-).

I'd say you're better off buying the expansions than a third set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
Baelrath wrote:

Gawd really ? If the rules to this game get any more esoteric and based on the whim of the publishers (dependent on their mood and day of the week) it will statistically be impossible for anyone to ever be playing 100% correctly.

This is always the issue when there are so many elements to a single card multiplied by the amount of cards produced so quickly. You'd have thought designers would have learnt to tighten up such wording and cut out as much assumption/guesswork/fudging on the part of the players as possible. The card should specifically read 'not neutral' if this is the case. While it doesn't say neutral cards are included, saying 'any sphere' doesn't exclude them either!!

As Flamehearted says, don't think I'll ever be playing this 100% correctly no matter how many forums I read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Next up: Nate French declares Sneak Attack + Gandalf = not allowed. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Next up: Nate French declares Sneak Attack + Gandalf = not allowed. whistle

He will not need to. Before then he will have declared Gandalf a misprint, and withdrawn the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Hey Guys everything ok. Is always like that in the card games. First set of cards come out and then rule changed, erratas and so on. If someone remember in Decipher LOTR TCG was same story. They even change the rules with time(after second set was released). And many cards from the first set change they game text with erratas. So they try to balance the game.

I think is good idea to stop play Gandalf almost every turn sometimes. 3 Gandalf + 3 Sneak Attack + 3 Stand and fight is a lot.
9 Gandalf per game .In 2 player game 18.To powerful!!! I feel it from begin.

I more happy now. They start to make more difficult quests,cards errats. So balance of the game step by step will be more stable.
I love this game and hope game will have great future.
But i still think we need some more interesting game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
Baelrath wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. A light in the dark is pretty strong to imo. Since you can do it before defending if needed, but even better if you are defending and you pull a nasty shadow you can still use, since you can do an action after shadow card and before damage resolution.

I'd like to get a clarification on this card. I did look in the rules for a player action between the reveal of the shadow card and the enemy attack, and didn't see one, but I probably missed it.

What I'm unsure of, is whether I could immediately de-engage an enemy, right after it engages in that phase, before I even have to declare a defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.