Subject: Face-up expansion stack - how many & how to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving on to the theme games and I'm not clear on the face-up expansion cards.

Question 1

On page 14 it says:

Each card in the face-up expansion card stack is marked with a "1x."

And on page 16 under The Era of Gold it says:

The face-up expansion card stack consists of the two Merchant Guild cards.

However, the Moneylender card is also marked with a "1x." If it doesn't go in the face-up expansion card stack, what does the "1x" signify?

Question 2

On page 14 it says that the cards "are never part of your hand. Instead, you may look through this stack, select the card you want to build, and pay the building costs as usual."

So that's an action you can take apart from the normal sequence of playing cards from your hand and then re-filling your hand from the draw stacks, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:

Question 1

On page 14 it says:

Each card in the face-up expansion card stack is marked with a "1x."

And on page 16 under The Era of Gold it says:

The face-up expansion card stack consists of the two Merchant Guild cards.

However, the Moneylender card is also marked with a "1x." If it doesn't go in the face-up expansion card stack, what does the "1x" signify?

If a card is marked with a "1x" then you are allowed only one copy of that card in your principality.

stevepop wrote:

Question 2

On page 14 it says that the cards "are never part of your hand. Instead, you may look through this stack, select the card you want to build, and pay the building costs as usual."

So that's an action you can take apart from the normal sequence of playing cards from your hand and then re-filling your hand from the draw stacks, correct?

You may only purchase these during your Action Phase. Essentially, you can treat these cards as though you had them in your hand. Once you have the necessary resources, you may build them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It is quite easy:

All cards in the face-up stacks do have 1x.

Not all cards that have a 1x go in the face-up stacks.

As already pointed out, any card with 1x may only be part of a realm once.
The purpose of the face-up stacks is to give both players access to key cards of the respective set.
The purpose of 1x cards is to limit those (normally powerful) cards for the players. (A player owning such a card can still deny the card to the opponent and keep it in his hand as long as it is not a card from a face-up stack.)

So, it is quite natural that all key cards also have a 1x. But not all limited cards are key cards, so there will always be cards with 1x that are not in face-up stacks.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's the answer to the 1x question on page 7 of my rules.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Er heisst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebastian Rapp wrote:
It is quite easy:

For you I bet it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brodie
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I have just read Mr Teuber's blog - part 8.
I quote "The University takes center stage in this set. It can be found in the face-up draw stack. If you previously built an Abbey (Basic Set) or a Library, you may build the University directly, without having to draw it into your hand first."

My interpretation of the rules is the same as what everyone else has been saying: the card is waiting there for you until you can afford to play it: pay the resources and put it into play immediately.

Whereas, the blog seems to indicate that the cards in the face-up draw stack must be drawn into the hand before being played. This method doesn't seem to fit with the apparent intention of the set-up. Perhaps there is a better explanation in the German rules?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well, a blog is a blog and the rules are the rules...

But both mean the same. You have to have built a library or an abbey before you can build the university.
Since there is no way to build the university without having either, you misinterpret what Klaus Teuber writes. He means: Build library or abbey, then build the university. The "directly" is misleading, because there is no other, indirect way of building the university. It is always built from the open stack into your realm - if you have the prerequisite.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brodie
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
On page 14 it says: Each card in the face-up expansion card stack is marked with a "1x."

The 1x on the Moneylender card confused me too, because initially I also interpreted the above rules incorrectly to mean it had to be in the face-up expansion card stack.

If there's only one Moneylender card in the game anyway, why does it need to be marked with 1x? Or does it occur in another expansion other than the Era of Gold theme deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cyrus
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
There are several other cards with (1x) and only one copy. I suspect they are merely errors.

It's too bad that the cards that belong in the face-up expansion deck are not marked in any way. The (1x) is very close to being such a marking, but there are numerous (1x) cards that are drawn normally, with either one or two copies in the set.

One idea would be to put all of these cards in a separate draw stack, one where the cost of choosing a card was 0. Then both the (1x) marking and the one/two copies makes sense. That implies these cards would have to be drawn before being played.

We play with all nine theme decks, each in their own stack, and the rule that you can't have two cards of the same theme in your hand at once. When you draw a card with a prerequisite, you need to be able to draw the prerequisite without discarding the original card, so we'd use a rule that permits you to play the face-up card directly from the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
This caused me a big headache last night playing Era of Gold for the first time. I couldn't figure out how to tell the difference between "face-up expansion cards" and those that go face-down in the draw deck.

I ended up deciding that X1 must be the indicator, so I put the Moneylender X1 card along with the 2 Merchant Guilds (I interpreted the "containing the two Merchant Guilds" text to not be exclusive but rather to mean "including" - otherwise there seemed no other way to differentiate face-up vs face-down!). But then even more confusion happened when the rules said the face-down draw stacks should be of equal size, and I had 21 Era of Gold cards!

At least I know now. But, the rules explicitly state Merchant Guilds in the diagram on p.15, so we know at least they are face up. My question now is, though, for the other Eras, For Era of Turmoil and Era of Progress, how do we know which card(s) should be faceup? Since the X1 indicator is not reliable (see Moneylender). Are there no faceup cards in the other two eras, or if so, which ones and how did you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah never mind, I see that they list them on pp. 16-17 blush
I wish they had referenced those pages when they introduce the Face-Up cards in the rules on p.14, I must've read that paragraph 20 times trying to figure out how to differentiate face-up vs face-down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I wish they had referenced those pages when they introduce the Face-Up cards in the rules on p.14, I must've read that paragraph 20 times trying to figure out how to differentiate face-up vs face-down!

I recognise what you are saying, also reread that paragraph multiple times to see if I missed something how to identify these cards.
It would indeed have been easier if they included a reference to those pages or had simply also given these face up cards a unique "face up" identifier to indicate these are the face up cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.