Thunderstone: Dragonspire» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Cabal - Last pick of the team rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't sure whether to post this under Strategy or Sessions but since I won't be talking about the whole game I'll stick it here and apologise later if I have to.

One card that we just never seemed to use was Cabal and there always seemed to be a groan when he came out. You could guarantee that at the end of the game the other heroes would be out in the dungeon and Cabal would still be there in the village looking dejected like the last fat kid at the dance. So I just decided to try him and see if I could make him work.

A quick refresh for anyone not familiar with him.

----
WIZARD
----
Level 1; Cost 7; Strength 3; MAGIC ATTACK +1, Additional MAGIC ATTACK +1 for each spell you play:

Level 2; Cost 10; Strength 3; MAGIC ATTACK +2, Additional MAGIC ATTACK +2 for each spell you play:

Level 3; Cost 13; Strength 4; MAGIC ATTACK +3, Additional MAGIC ATTACK +3 for each spell you play; Victory Pts - 2:
----
Okay. So what we got. Cost 7 - expensive for a card with no village gold, no light and crap strength. So what are we left with - MAGIC ATTACK +1 and additional MAGIC ATTACK +1 for each spell you play. We've always looked at that as "Oooh, add +1 to a Frost Bolt" followed by a roll of the eyes.

I looked at the cards out and the only spells were Foresight Elixir and Burnt Offering. Not even a damaging spell. I normally use the odd Burnt offerings to get rid of unwanted cards but their usefulness eventually runs out unless there's diseases kicking about. The other was Foresight Elixir from the new expansion we just bought.

Cost 6. 2 Gold. Reveal to avoid a trap. DUNGEON: Look at the top 3 cards of the dungeon Deck. Return them in any order. Draw 2 cards.

We're not using traps so the reveal is useless. 2 Gold is pretty good for the village. DUNGEON effect: Looking at the deck is nice but not exactly game-breaking. Draw 2 cards - that's pretty good. Suddenly I understand Cabal's true ability. One Cabal makes that card +1 MAGIC ATTACK and draw 2 cards. 2 Cabal and that card is +2 MAGIC ATTACK and draw 2 cards. And that's only the level one Cabals...

So while everyone else is hoovering up their usual choices I quietly pick up Cabals and Foresight Elixirs. I pick up the odd Gohlen as I like to get some benefit from monsters in my hand. Everyone wonders what on earth I'm doing until part way through the game I manage to draw 12 cards on one turn and hit the dungeon with 10+ points of MAGIC ATTACK. Suddenly they're buying Foresight Elixirs but I've got most of them and my decks better designed to use them anyway. I enjoyed gambling with plenty with of trips to the dungeon to see what I would draw and sent back stuff which I thought others wanted and could kill.

In the end the game was still close. My mate picked up 9 points on the last turn and I only took it by 1 point. My deck wasn't perfect as I never seemed to draw my burnt offering in the same turn as my daggers, iron rations or torches which sometimes clogged my hand. I added some Belzur late game simply for the card draw and to level them up for protection against any Gohlen stealing my kills. With hindsight I would have gone for more Belzur over Gohlen for the card draw and the Gohlen were popular and went quick. It also would have struggled against Giants or Magic Immune monsters but against Horde, Dark Enchanted and Bandits it went pretty well.

So why in the strategy forum. Well I included some of my thoughts and reasons for picking certain cards but I guess the real moral is to never dismiss a card hands down. Read them ALL carefully and don't assume their use is obvious. I remember playing with Ambrosia and I was the only one who noticed it had 2 Victory Points. I had 10 points in the bag before I couldn't help blurting it out.

It's also worth trying something different from your tried and trusted strategies cause everyone else may be doing the same thing and fighting over the same cards. No-one will put Cabal in the corner again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened with me with Harruli...similar to Cabal but costs less and has higher strength and 3rd level searches top 3 cards of deck for a spell instead.

We always thought it was a junk card, and figured it was released as a promo because it was so weak...until one game where we had it with foresight elixir, illusory blade and fortune teller.focusing on buying these cards only make a pretty good engine for your deck - the fortune teller & available spell make him useful.

But ultimately its still a very narrow use card - which is why we only play with preset villages now that make the most out of these situational cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preset villages, what way does that work?

We usually allow one swop out by mutual consent (as a sop to the guy who always wants all his favourite cards in the mix and would be adding them all every game if he got his way). Personally I see each build as a puzzle to solve and enjoy trying to find the cards that go together in unexpected ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, DEEP works the same way with Mercenaries as CABAL does with spells. DEEP with any of the Draw card Mercenaries makes a nasty pairing. :o)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.