Dungeon Run» Forums » General

Subject: How does this compare to Cutthroat Caverns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not too familiar with either game, but Cutthroat Caverns has been on my wish list for a long time. It sounds like the "backstabbing through a dungeon" play style is similar in both games.

Could anyone give particulars on how they play differently? And similarities?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is simlar, but the gameplay is much different. CC is a card based game. DR is a dungeon crawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's better b/c I didn't like Cutthroat Caverns! yuk My read of the rules for Dungeon Run makes me think it will be much better (it's on my "to buy" list, which means I will get it ASAP rather than waiting for a trade...)

(Sorry for my extreme reaction, but CC brought back traumatic memories of Munchkin when I played it...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, CC sounded good but it was a total fail when we actually had a chance to play it. It is NOTHING like Dungeon Run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Yeah, CC sounded good but it was a total fail when we actually had a chance to play it. It is NOTHING like Dungeon Run.

Hmmm yeah I had the same reaction too. Tried out CC on a bunch of roleplayers who usually love silliness and backstabbing, and it fell flat.

The same group had more fun playing Munchkin. (not their favourite game of course)

But have the respondents to this thread actually confirmed that Dungeon Run does much better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Trump wrote:

Hmmm yeah I had the same reaction too. Tried out CC on a bunch of roleplayers who usually love silliness and backstabbing, and it fell flat.

The same group had more fun playing Munchkin. (not their favourite game of course)

But have the respondents to this thread actually confirmed that Dungeon Run does much better?

First of all, they're not the same sort of game, but I'll try to address this. CC has backstabbing, BUT you could play the whole game and never do anything nefarious and just see how it goes. You CAN'T do that in Dungeon Run. Before the Summoning Stone is won, the players can totally avoid backstabbing if they like. They can even cooperate. Once the Stone is in play though, THEY HAVE NO CHOICE. Only one of them can walk out of that dungeon with the stone and win and you're not going to get it by asking nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desferous wrote:
I am not too familiar with either game, but Cutthroat Caverns has been on my wish list for a long time. It sounds like the "backstabbing through a dungeon" play style is similar in both games.

Could anyone give particulars on how they play differently? And similarities?

Thanks!
CC is a fun game it is a fun game with 5 or 6 players. There really cannot be a comparison because they are 2 entirely different games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.