aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very unique game and will take a few plays to fully appreciate and wrap your head around. The first piece of advice i can offer: forget all the lessons you learned mastering Dominion. Flush all that crap from your brain. You're going to have to learn an entirely new approach to deckbuilding.

The key word here to remember is survival. Which is kinda perfect when you consider the theme.

Survival. You're really just trying to survive or outlast the good folks around you. You're going to have to trip a survivor so they fall down and get killed first. Every man and woman for themself.

So a few strategy thoughts to compliment this mindset:

1) You're gonna need stuff to throw at zombies (lose to attrition). A critism of quarriors is the lack of choice of what to buy (buy the most expensive monster you can afford). Not so much in EBZ. First you have to decide HOW you plan to survive with the literally limited resources you're given. So what to buy? Biggest weapon? Maybe but maybe not. In this game 2-3 synergy items are much better than 1 badass weapon.

Oh yeah thats the other word. Synergy. Make sure you got it goin on.

2) So what SHOULD I be throwing at the zombies? A combination of flee and fight? All flee? All fight? Much of this depends on the swag available. My suggestion would be to lose all fight or all flee consistantly throughout the game. Id rather be strong in one thing rather than moderate in both. Moderate will get you through the first zombie deck but not after the shuffle. And early strategic 'trashing' of cards can actually work to our advantage if you play correctly and carefully, as well as swag complimentary and with synergy to your remaining cards.

3) Know where your zombie(s) are in your deck at all times. Good payers should be able to somewhat accuratly discard a zombie from their deck at the right moment. I would argue that topdeck discard of zombie and having 6 quality cards in your hand > mucking up your hand to play on opponents. Let your other opponents trip your other opponents. You should be busy looking through gun lockers and trash cans.

4) Ok, let's talk about the 1 attrition zombie. Ouch, 8 toughness. You look at your hand. Somehow the stars have aligned and you're staring at 10 fight and 1 flee. Hey let's kick it's butt right? Wrong. Just flee. I can't think of a single reason why you'd want this guy in your deck (unless you're getting close to beating the entire deck of zombies). You can't add him to the hoarde, and he mucks up your hand permanently. Losing a card slot in your hand is devastating, and a sure fire time to start panicking. But don't lose all hope yet, as your neighbors may have 2 slots lost in hand, and will be going downhill shortly. So the lesson here, don't kill zombies unless you plan on being able to play them on your neighbors.

So does the above dictate that fleeing is strictly better than fighting? No I don't think so, but that's what makes this game and the decisions so interesting.

5) Ok, my neighbor is now a zombie, now what, do I play differently? Well, if a fellow survivor hasn't...survived, then you can probably forget about killing the deck of zombies. I mean sure it can be done, and if the zombie or zombies aren't playing correctly and they're grabbing 4 zombie cards a turn (I think 2-3 is about right), then maybe keep that option in mind. But instead you should probably focus your energy on 'tripping' your surviving opponents (just seems so evil!!). The timing of zombie cards in your hand is crucial. Save them (in a 4 player game) for the survivor who seems to be in the best position, getting the most swag, etc. Just trying to survive.

I won't go into individual card strategy, as I need to play this more, but these are just a few initial thoughts to start some discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly possible to win through killing all the zombies. We've had two purely cooperative wins, and one win where one player became a zombie but the other three still won.

If anything it seems very difficult to become a zombie player AND win that way. I shall have to test it more

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
I played two handed to learn the game tonight. (It arrived today.) I had no problem discarding the flee cards, thinning both players down to only fight cards, then they exhausted the zombie pile even though they played one zombie on each other as often as possible. (Did not play more than one zombie even though it is allowed in two player.)

For now I need a player aid summarizing the number of discards and the legal sources of discards in different situations and how the zombie horde disperses in different situations (flee or fight, successful or unsuccessful) although it will likely only take a few games to learn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as legal sources of discards go, the easiest way to remember is that you can only trash cards from your discard pile when you flee successfully. Any other time is from your hand or top of deck only.

As far as zombie dispersion goes, again the only exception is when you flee successfully: The oldest zombie wanders off. In any other situation (successful fight, unsuccessful fight and unsuccessful flee) all the zombies in the horde are either killed and/or wander off to the zombie discard pile.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.