Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob question: Ran out of monster types rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Crowell

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
Just finished my second try at the first adventure (the solo one). My strategy this time was just to run like mad, exploring every turn and whacking anything that could keep up with me (by luck, there were only two most of the time).

After a while, I had control of one of every type of monster (big mob behind me) when I drew what turned out to be the penultimate tile. I couldn't find that situation covered in the rules, did I miss something?

I ended up reshuffling & drawing a duplicate, then won it on the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's an official rule for it, so it's up to you on how to play. In other games, when a situation like this happens, often you would take the figure from behind and place it ahead.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What is the issue? Isn't there more than one of each creature? If you have multiple cards, you can activate whichever monster of that type you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
What is the issue? Isn't there more than one of each creature? If you have multiple cards, you can activate whichever monster of that type you choose.

No. The rules explicitly state that you can only control 1 of each monster.
Strictly speaking if you follow the rules you will draw and discard every card in the deck and then reshuffle and continue on for eternety. Not a great solution.
Once you have all of the available monsters you have to choose. Continue with no new monsters until you kill one and it is available to draw when next you explore a new tile or you could house rule that under those circumstances you can control a second monster with the same name but under those circumstances you should be activating both monsters for each card so you'd better get those monsters under control fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What happens in the case of "High Alert" when you have to pass a monster card to the player on your right. Can you pass a card that the player already has? If not, then do you really need to pass one (for instance if you can't, or you'd rather pass the duplicate)?

I was thinking of multiple players, but I had forgotten about not owning the same type of monster twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
What happens in the case of "High Alert" when you have to pass a monster card to the player on your right. Can you pass a card that the player already has? If not, then do you really need to pass one (for instance if you can't, or you'd rather pass the duplicate)?

I am refloating this thread because I'm really interested in the answer of the question raised.
When you are requested to pass a monster card to a team mate, can you pass him a copy of a card he already owns?
In case it's possible, 'that' kind of monster would activate twice? or only once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing in the Rules that says a Hero cannot have more than one copy of the same monster. The Rules state that when a Hero "places a Monster" to draw a monster card and if he/she already has that card, discard and draw a new one. In the case of passing cards, it's very possible to have more than one copy of the same monster. In that case, the new card just goes to the end of the Monster/trap card list and activates just like all the other monster cards, so yes, "that kind of monster would activate twice."

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Bryce!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.