Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JASON UNRATH

PALM BAY
Florida
msg tools
mb
The Googles, they do nothing!

Hi all, back in the late 70s or possibly very early 80s I got a board game. Unfortunately, despite being only 7 years old it was too complicated -- for everyone else! So I couldn't find anyone to play it with and I've forgotten the name and most of the rules in the intervening 30 years.

You and the other players started off on an island in the center of the board, oddly enough called the "Old World" despite very clearly being an island. One of the objects of the game was to create colonies in the "New World" which was a collection of continents and/or islands which were to the periphery of the board, some even touching the edges. The geography was obviously not representative of Planet Earth.

I did a BGG search and the closest game was Conquest. However, it was definitely not Conquest as it was area movement rather than "area to area" as it had no bubbles or movement lines. Plus of course Conquest's areas do not reach all the way to the edges.

The only other things I remember about it were that there was varying terrain in the New World (for instance, definitely desert and maybe jungle and forest), and you got to the New World via boats. I can't really remember anything else definitive (for instance there may or may not have been natives to conquer, pirates, diseases.)

The weirdest thing was the labelling of the Old World and New World in weird spots compared to the real earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you remember anything about the box the game came in? Big? Small? Fantasy theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Imperialism ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON UNRATH

PALM BAY
Florida
msg tools
mb
Yeah I'm almost certain that's it. I'm not sure if I made it to the second page of the photos in my original BGG search. But the map combined with the counters make it a pretty certain match.

Mucho thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.