Test of Fire: Bull Run 1861» Forums » General

Subject: re: It sounds good, but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I'm on the fence on this game--I've read the reviews, like the rules summary, like the board... but, man, those unit counters are terrible looking! I don't have Wallace's Gettysburg, but was thinking that maybe those would work well with this game? It would also be nice if there was a bit of chrome--maybe Jackson, zouaves, Stuart's cavalry... Still on the fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bfletcher wrote:
It would also be nice if there was a bit of chrome--maybe Jackson, zouaves, Stuart's cavalry... Still on the fence.

As the saying goes, it's all in the cards - only the Confederates have Cavalry cards, both sides have a Friendly Fire card, and the Confederates have more Hold cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bradley,

I will strongly recommend this game to you, especially if you like fast playing, non rules heavy war games that also have a little depth to them. The game pieces are not the best, but they are functional and serve their purpose well. There are different game end victory conditions too which helps maintain a good level of re-playability. Another plus, the game also seems fairly well balanced with victories coming out for both sides in our early playings. The only real negative so far is there is some luck as dice are involved, but this is true of most war games anyway.

With our group all the feedback has been positive, even with those that are not really 'war gamers'. Don't get me wrong though, it is not a Euro disguised as a war game. It is very much a war game, but one you can play to conclusion in about an hour. You can be up and playing this game within fifteen minutes including rules explanation and set up.

I think ToF is one of the best light war games out there right now and I hope Mr. Wallace comes out with more battle games using the mechanics engine layed out in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but one you can play to conclusion in about an hour.

I just played this with my oldest daughter and it took two hours to play - and I think we were moving the game along at a good clip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Quote:
but one you can play to conclusion in about an hour.

I just played this with my oldest daughter and it took two hours to play - and I think we were moving the game along at a good clip.

That seems rather long, but I think the speed of the game can be slowed by lack of 'ones' rolled on the dice. The more ones, the faster someone's card deck runs out and hence a faster end to the game. I for one, happen to roll a LOT of ones. Ask anyone in my group......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Christopher completely. It is a tight little game that is quick to learn but will take a while to master. Considering the modest price any civil war gamer should add it to their collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.