Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading 7.2.3, on the activities you can do at the start of your phase, I see this:
"Each character can activate certain types of spells at the beginning of any phase, subject to the restrictions below:"
This would seem to imply that a character can activate spells at the beginning of any character's phase, rather than only the active player. I'm assuming that I'm reading this too pedantically and that only the active character (and his followers) can activate spells at the start of a phase?

Also, a second question: can characters following an individual play color chits as well?

Sorry about all these crazy questions: I'm reformatting the rules for the set I'm assembling using Karim's artwork, and its causing me to look very carefully at the wording of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My hunch:

1st question: the answer seems to be in the affirmative.
Compare
"Each character, hired leader, and controlled monster can trade with other characters, hired leaders, and controlled monsters at the start of any of his phases."
"Each character, hired leader, and controlled monster can arrange his belongings at the start of each phase at his turn."
and
"Each character can activate certain types of spells at the beginning of any phase...
At the start of any phase, each character can use his color chits to energize Permanent spells."

There are clear rules to resolve conflicting spell effects cast/energized at the same time (4.6.10).

2nd question: I would say that is allowed because playing a color chit is not counted as an independent "(recorded) Daylight activity"; the rules of Following seem to apply to Daylight activities (Move, Hide, Search, etc.) only.

My understanding is playing a color chit is effortless, in a way like Dropping a belonging. There is no speed or strength limitation, even during combat. Perhaps in the Realm playing a color chit is just as easy and trivial as flipping a switch?

Correct me if i am wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - if you are correct, I would worry about issues with timing conflicts in extreme cases. Could anyone give examples of why the non-active players want to Energize Spells when the characters weren't active?

Quote:
My understanding is playing a color chit is effortless, in a way like Dropping a belonging. There is no speed or strength limitation, even during combat. Perhaps in the Realm playing a color chit is just as easy and trivial as flipping a switch?

I teach new players to think of a color chit as a "can of color magic." So it's as easy as opening a soda can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps you are unhidden in a clearing and waiting for your turn. Another character goes before you and moves into your tile or clearing, drawing monsters at the end of their turn. If a monster is summoned to your clearing before you get your turn, you will be blocked.

It might be possible for you to play your color to energize a spell, such as Melt Into Mist, that would prevent you from being blocked, or you might energize Absorb Essence and become a monster before being blocked.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
Sorry about all these crazy questions: I'm reformatting the rules for the set I'm assembling using Karim's artwork, and its causing me to look very carefully at the wording of the rules.

You do know about v3.2 of the rules, right? With Karim's artwork?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
You do know about v3.2 of the rules, right? With Karim's artwork?

Yes, but I'm making my own version, for my own pleasure. Partly because I'm crazy, partly because I love typesetting and I don't like the typesetting results of TeX, and partly to condense it from its 240+ page length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
srschacher wrote:
Perhaps you are unhidden in a clearing and waiting for your turn. Another character goes before you and moves into your tile or clearing, drawing monsters at the end of their turn. If a monster is summoned to your clearing before you get your turn, you will be blocked.

It might be possible for you to play your color to energize a spell, such as Melt Into Mist, that would prevent you from being blocked, or you might energize Absorb Essence and become a monster before being blocked.

Steve

I thought of another possibility: you are playing an annoying Elf and have cast Lost on your tile. You hold some Gold magic in reserve and energize the spell (hopefully after your turn) if anyone else enters the tile, to make their travels difficult.

It is pretty clear to me now that, yes, any character can energize a permanent spell at the start of any character's phase. I'm learning a lot by going through the rules so closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulfhethnar wrote:
My hunch:

1st question: the answer seems to be in the affirmative.
Compare
"Each character, hired leader, and controlled monster can trade with other characters, hired leaders, and controlled monsters at the start of any of his phases."
"Each character, hired leader, and controlled monster can arrange his belongings at the start of each phase at his turn."
and
"Each character can activate certain types of spells at the beginning of any phase...
At the start of any phase, each character can use his color chits to energize Permanent spells."

There are clear rules to resolve conflicting spell effects cast/energized at the same time (4.6.10).

2nd question: I would say that is allowed because playing a color chit is not counted as an independent "(recorded) Daylight activity"; the rules of Following seem to apply to Daylight activities (Move, Hide, Search, etc.) only.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Even more explicitly, rule 4.6.7h.6 states:

"h.6) During Daylight, he can play color chits each time he
or anyone else starts a phase of their turn in his clearing."

[bold emphasis added...]

A follower can play a color magic chit at the beginning of a phase of his guide's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more nasty way to easily ruin another character's life is to energize Bad Luck before he starts the day ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
Could anyone give examples of why the non-active players want to Energize Spells when the characters weren't active?

One idea I've contemplated:

Sorceror has cast Melt Into Mist on himself. It's a very handy escape spell for the Sorceror, but it could also be used against him. Interfere with his plans by throwing some purple color at him to activate the spell against his will. Now he can only Move and Hide - no searching, looting, trading, etc., no active treasures. He may be invulnerable, but he also can't attack anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
Sorceror has cast Melt Into Mist on himself. It's a very handy escape spell for the Sorceror, but it could also be used against him. Interfere with his plans by throwing some purple color at him to activate the spell against his will. Now he can only Move and Hide - no searching, looting, trading, etc., no active treasures. He may be invulnerable, but he also can't attack anything.

Wow, I keep learning! I didn't know you could use your color chits to energize permanent spells that you didn't cast. How about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, AFAIK, nowhere in the rules does it say that only the caster of the permanent spell can energize it, only that the target of the spell is in the clearing! For that matter, I think the target of the spell could even be hidden, and someone else could still energize the spell. I figure practitioners of magic can sense the spell in the magical ether - or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree.
4.6.7 h3:
Quote:
Enchanted cards, the Chapel or Toadstool Circle, enchanted map tiles, and the seventh
day of each week energize Permanent spells automatically, regardless of the wishes of the
characters. A Permanent spell is automatically and instantly energized whenever its target
is supplied with the required magic color from one of these sources.

Example: The Transform spell is instantly energized whenever its target is in the same clearing
with the Dragon Essence card, or when he is on an enchanted map tile that supplies
Purple magic, or when it is the 21st day of the month.

and h5:
Quote:
A character can energize a spell using his color chits only if the spell’s target is in his clearing and he plays a chit that supplies the magic color required by that spell.

There is no mention of "found hidden enemies" as the prerequisite for energizing permanent spells cast on hidden targets. I suppose the character's color chit works just in the same way as those other sources of colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.