Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a 3 player version of Magic awhile back, where I felt that two other players were making it a point to gang up and eliminate me. To counter this double teaming, I thought of a variant.

In the variant, preferable for 3 players, whenever you attack one of the two other players, damage is done to a common life pool shared among them (players are partners with both players in a sense). So, one player attacking a player would reduce one life pool, while another player attacking the same player would reduce a different life pool.

I was wondering if this variant exists. It is a bit like two-headed giant, but might be thought of as three-headed giant in one sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrmm. Interesting.

So this would change it from 'you lose when you take a certain amount of damage' to 'you win when you deal a certain amount of damage (to either opponent)'.

I'm not sure to what extent this would fix your issue. If your position is weakest, then the easiest way for player A to get damage through is to attack you, and the easiest way for player B to get damage through is to attack you as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean something like this:

3 players, A, B and C

A/B Life: 20
A/C Life: 20
B/C Life: 20

A + B are ganging up on C. When A deals damage to C, life pool B/C takes the damage. When B deals damage to C, life pool A/C takes the damage.

That might be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he just means each player has 20, but when you attack and aren't blocked you deal damage to 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
" damage is done to a common life pool shared by both..." says different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Do you mean something like this:

3 players, A, B and C

A/B Life: 20
A/C Life: 20
B/C Life: 20

A + B are ganging up on C. When A deals damage to C, life pool B/C takes the damage. When B deals damage to C, life pool A/C takes the damage.

That might be fun.

Yep, that is it. It makes it so that two players can't just knock one player out. The damage would get split both ways and if one player is taking too much of a beating, a person sharing the life pool with them that has more may feel a need to stream a life it, or whatever.

Of course, there is the case of being milled out being something that may need to be accounted for. Maybe the player who mills out an opponent wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems close to what you are describing:

Cutthroat
By James Earnest

This is usually a three-player variant. When it's your turn in Cutthroat, the other two players are united against you. This means that their defenses are joined, so that if one of them blocks your attack, it damages neither of them. It also means that their life totals are locked, so if you damage them, you are doing an equal amount to both players. If, during your turn, your opponents affect their own life totals, they also affect each other's.

The one exception to this "joined players" rule is in the mana pool. Defenders may never share or exchange mana points, nor will one defender be burned if the other taps too much mana. Damage you sustain on your turn is treated normally and not shared with anyone. When one of the players is eliminated, this becomes a basic two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brahman71 wrote:
This seems close to what you are describing:

Cutthroat
By James Earnest

This is usually a three-player variant. When it's your turn in Cutthroat, the other two players are united against you. This means that their defenses are joined, so that if one of them blocks your attack, it damages neither of them. It also means that their life totals are locked, so if you damage them, you are doing an equal amount to both players. If, during your turn, your opponents affect their own life totals, they also affect each other's.

The one exception to this "joined players" rule is in the mana pool. Defenders may never share or exchange mana points, nor will one defender be burned if the other taps too much mana. Damage you sustain on your turn is treated normally and not shared with anyone. When one of the players is eliminated, this becomes a basic two player game.

I remember when I did this, it went Cutthroat in regards to pooled defenses. What I was thinking, is that it would be somewhat opposite to how Cutthroat works, in that you don't share defense with anyone, but the life pool is shared. Mana pools would be separate also, and attacks are one on one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.