Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Parsons
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fell in love when I first set eyes on these two games designed by Wizards of the Coast, Hecatomb and Dreamblade, amazing games with amazing themes.

I am a HUGE horror fan and also a big fan of collectible games, what can I say? I'm an addict. I continued to play them even after Wizards killed them off, but I've come to realize with a limited pool of cards and miniatures two of my favorite games of all time are becoming boring.

While it is true I only ever had the base set of Dreamblade, the miniatures aren't so easy to come by anymore.

I'd like a game to fill the void, but I'm not sure there is anything out there that can.

Recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first recommendation would be to track down some Dreamblade pieces from the later expansions, or just print some proxies from the spoiler lists. No need to pick up a new addiction when an old one will do.

If you want something new, HorrorClix is fun. Also out of print, unfortunately. More of a classic miniatures game, with extra plot twists (in the form of cards) and mobile powerups, er, victims, wandering around the board.

On the card side of things, you could try Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. It's still in print, has lots of expansions, and covers a lot of Lovecraftian goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harrison Chadd
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
NAMQVE PAVCI LIBERTATEM, PARS MAGNA IVSTOS DOMINOS VOLVNT
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
My first recommendation would be to track down some Dreamblade pieces from the later expansions, or just print some proxies from the spoiler lists. No need to pick up a new addiction when an old one will do.

If you want something new, HorrorClix is fun. Also out of print, unfortunately. More of a classic miniatures game, with extra plot twists (in the form of cards) and mobile powerups, er, victims, wandering around the board.

+1 to all of this.

I love Dreamblade so much that last year I bought cases of the stuff on eBay and through the 'Geek, even though I already have minimum 4+ playsets of every figure from every expansion. Some evil sub-domain within my OCD/Collecting impulse dungeons made me do it.

"Because it's out of print and you might never be able to get it again". (But did I need it anyway?)

"Because it might be worth something one day." (Like I'd sell it even if it was!)

"Because it'll provide you with enough to share around a whole bunch of gamers so they can make their own warbands." (Sounds like generosity but is really just self-denial and wishful thinking.)

So, I recently started looking sideways at Horrorclix - as mentioned above - and pulled the trigger on a case. Then another one. And another. As of last week I have managed to collect basically the entire range - except for one of the standalone Aliens boxes - they're just going for insane $$. It's great fun, and has definitely scratched the itch for a skirmish-based pre-painted minis game with a bit of a weird twist that Dreamblade used to give me. It doesn't have the "chess-like" fixed board feel, but it's fun. Kinda like my rebound game after Dreamblade and I broke up.

Of course - the point about Dreamblade not really being "over" still stands. With hundreds of minis, you can happily play it for the rest of your life. I've taken to painting some of the minis too, and that definitely reignites the desire to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Parsons
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've definitely considered picking up more Dreamblade and I'm sure at some point I won't be able to help myself. Part of the trouble of buying more is how used to buying dead games for cheap I am. I bought three booster boxes of Hecatomb for $23, some booster cases of Dreamblade are $80 and the miniature distribution seems rather bad. (Lots of duplicates)

Call of Cthulhu looks great, but at the same time I have some kind of aversion to games based on other properties, I'm not quite sure why, but it is there. Perhaps I could pick up the CoC core set and give it a try. I do love the Cthulhu stories after all.

Horrorclix is interesting, especially since I was a Mage Knight player, but I really dislike the use of Freddy, Predators, Aliens and such, those are only restricted to collector's sets correct? And the rest of the expansions are more generic horror things?

Any other recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atendarius wrote:
Horrorclix is interesting, especially since I was a Mage Knight player, but I really dislike the use of Freddy, Predators, Aliens and such, those are only restricted to collector's sets correct? And the rest of the expansions are more generic horror things?

As best I can recall, the booster minis are all fairly generic. Some of them are... strongly derivative whistle : you'll recognize Buffy, for instance, as well as grey aliens and Frankenstein. But there are plenty of generic zombies, werewolves and vampires as well, with different sculpts and different "day jobs".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atendarius wrote:
Any other recommendations?

Double post, poor form, I know. blush These are less likely to be what you're interested in, but I thought they might be worth mentioning if you're still looking.

I like Mythos over Call of Cthulhu, just because it encourages storytelling rather than competitive deck building. But it's ancient and very hard to get ahold of.

I don't know if giant eldrich monsters count; if so, you might try Lords of Cthul (technically not Lovecraft, although anyone can see the relation) in Monsterpocalypse.

A final option is to jump into the wild world of miniatures games, where you have to paint and everything. The only marginally horror-themed game I've played is Warmachine (Cryx); its companion Hordes also has Skorne and Everblight as good horror-themed armies. But there are other choices out there: Malifaux and Hell Dorado leap immediately to mind, although I'm sure there are dozens of others. (I think Hell Dorado may be pre-painted, too, if painting is a bridge too far.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Parsons
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have a small Cryx army and played a lot of Warmachine and Hordes. I've even tried out Malifaux, and while I haven't tried it I should point out that Hell Dorado is not pre-painted. I'm a big miniature wargaming fan, but none of them have the collectible feel I love.

Since it's cheap, I think I'll pick up some Horrorclix, maybe even try out Monsterpocalypse again, even though it is going non-collectible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, you are my gaming equivalent. Dreamblade was my favorite game ever (dear everyone, if you have a couple of warbands dice and a playmat you wanna sell me for cheap GM me). I have also dabbled in Warmachine and MonPoc. Nothing has satisfied my cravings. Seems like there's a void in the market, seems like someone needs to jump on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Parsons
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You and me, let's create some magic.

... As in a game to fill the void of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. I've wondered if it'd be possible to create a dominion deck building like game except with minis. Imagine some sort of a buy system where you buy Scarab Warcharms =) devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Parsons
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarab Warcharms make me cry since my two regular opponents love playing Valor. T_T

Still, a miniature deck builder could be great; however one stumble I've seen multiple times in deck builders is that card game players are used to owning their own cards and don't like to share. The same is probably true with miniature players, therefor I think it would be a good idea to have some kind of unique commander figure or several such things that are linked to a player from the get go. (Have any deck builders done this? I haven't played many)

Then basically recruit from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the prepainted range, but I also enjoy Dreamblade, Hecatomb, and a variety of the other recommendations (MonPac, Horrorclix). But I will go a bit off the rails with Malifaux. Painting or hobby aspects may not be your thing, but its a comparatively small model count, a starter force is 30 bucks, usually from 5-10 miniatures, the main rulebook is 15 bucks (or cheaper online, goes for all of this). And the theme is right there, I'd say. Its very steampunk/horror/western themes, and each faction varies pretty widely. Plus it has an interesting card based combat system, rather than dice, so has a hand aspect management as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malifaux has caught my eye for a log time. But if warmachine taught me anything, it's that I am a terrible Hobby-ist miniatures owner. I like the games- I hate glue. That being said my FLGS has started a miniatures night and apparently people have been demo'ing Malifaux. Maybe I'll check it out.

That being said, from what I've read, I actually think the combat system in Malifaux looks neat. In fact, it might be something Atendius and I want to import into our little brew we've started in here.

@Atendarius I think I see your point. If all of the miniatures were unique would that solve the problem? (I.E. there'd only be one scarab that either player could get?).

Cheers.
Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.