Popular Tags: [View All]
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Seen that new card-game Redakai. Now wouldn't it be amazing if they re-released Netrunner (with all the original artwork), but done in this 3D style? Just imagine sitting across the table with funky 3D effect ice jumping out at your equally 3D breakers - This game is such a missed opportunity - I'm sure they would make enough money from it's re-release to make it viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all the cards holograms though?, sounds like it could be expensive. Whats the price on a starter deck or booster or equivalents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The higher cost of the cards would not help, IMHO.

Redakai already integrates the transparency of the cards in the mechanic of the game while Netrunner requires hidden info to work (especially for the Corp player). The extra work and costs in doing it this way would price the game out of the market, especially without the mass market tie in Redakai is using to boost sales.

John, the cards are partly transparent, and partly lenticular. Pricing is much higher due to the technologies involved. I believe retail pricing is $6 for an 11 card booster (which also includes one special but useless lenticular card) and starters tend to be about $18 for a 44 card structured deck (prebuilt) while the mass market starter that offers 2 boosters and a card holder runs about $13 I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats actually comprable to current 60+ card starters and 8-12 card boosters. Someones chuckling a fair amount of cash into this if it has a toy figure line and animated series backing it out the gate.

I agree though that the transparent cards wouldnt really work for netrunner. But it is a neet idea that could be applied to a new expansion pack or a simmilar themed cyberspace game that isnt so reliant on hidden data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Are all the cards holograms though?, sounds like it could be expensive. Whats the price on a starter deck or booster or equivalents?

Depends. Rainbowholograms, as seen on real paper money all over the world, has two amazing qualities: They are incredibly hard to copy and they are low cost to make. Hence their widespread use as a proof of genuinity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely pricier if you consider the fewer cards and the slightly higher pack costs, but I also have to say the cards are thick enough to feel substantial as opposed to the really thin transparent cards used previously in Gloom or Hecatomb and you do feel you are getting value from the purchase.

I suspect though that the huge push means they are banking on a huge print run that brought the costs down enough to feel comparable to current TCG pricing that otherwise would be impossible in the hobby sector only, especially if you look at the rarity guides and see how many rares there are to collect and the split marketing with mass market packaging and special hobby only packaging and collectible subsets.

The lenticular part is really just chrome, but there is a pretty decent use of the transparency to the game. I suspect the next breakthrough would be somehow using the depth of stacked cards to add more game depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.