Subject: Blue elevation lines and range calculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that the striped blue lines on the map tiles cannot be moved through, but they don't block line-of-sight.

They also say that they are treated as "normal movement borders" for the purposes of range calculation.

Does this mean "pretend you can move through them" or does it mean "compute range as if you had to go around them, as you do with normal movement?"

On my first reading, I thought it was the latter, but now, after looking closely at tiles like 16A, I am thinking it is the former.

That is... if I am standing on the elevated portion of 16A, up the stairs, in cover on the side closest to the "?" sign, then I would count myself at only a range of 1 from the "?" space. So I could shoot down from there with my lancer without giving the enemy any additional defense dice.

Movement-wise, I would be 4 areas away from the "?" space.

Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. Basically think of it thematically. You are on the floor above shooting over the balcony. You can't just jump off - have to walk around, but you can shoot down.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it the same way-elevated from which to rain down on some punk Locusts, but don't move through them, as COGs apparently have bad balance when landing. All that armor.

Too bad you can't hop over them like in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Bryce
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmzomba wrote:
That is correct. Basically think of it thematically. You are on the floor above shooting over the balcony. You can't just jump off - have to walk around, but you can shoot down.

Hope this helps

I totally think of it as you've thematically described but in doing so I ran into another interesting question.

Take tile 16a. If a figure is in the zone to the outside left of the blue area and another figure is in the zone to outside right of the blue area, do they have LOS on each other?

It makes sense if the figures in the blue zone can see "down" and vice versa. But the figures on either side should not be able to thematically see each other. How about from a game mechanics point of view?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules: Yes they can see each other.

Thematically: The central area could be a lowered (not raised) area. Or if it is raised it could be on pillars so you can shoot under it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.