Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At 10 september at the Ducosim convention in Amersfoort in The Netherlands I played Principato at the stand of White Goblin Games.

Game setup
Each player gets an own player board with his or her principality displayed on it. You can develop your own principality in four ways; agricultural (green), city buildings (yellow), military (red) and culture (blue). You get these developments by placing tiles on your card board.
Each player also gets two secret objectives and two starter action cards.
On the table, in the middle, you will also find five action cards.

Yellow and green cubes
The agricultural and city building developments come in two kinds. Tiles that can produce or tiles that can store the production. The production is money in the form of a yellow cube or food in the form of a green wooden cube.

picture by henk.rolleman

Game play
On your turn you have two actions at your disposal and you can choose from three possible actions, it is allowed to do the same action twice on your turn.
You can do the action from one of the two cards you have. Possible actions can be obtain goods or invest in buildings. With money you purchase the green tiles and yellow tiles can be obtained with food. At the end of the action some cards have to be exchanged with one of the five in the middle of the table, some cards can stay yours.
At your turn you can also use one of your both actions to swap a card without using it or you can also obtain a purple cube.
When your turn ends the first of the five action cards in the middle is discarded and replaced by one of the deck.

Year in, year out
There are four groups of action cards; the starter cards and cards for the first, second or third year. So when the first year cards deck is depleted a scoring rounds is done and then the cards of the second year come into the game. For the in game scoring your military strength counts. After the third year the game ends.

Planning your turns
There is some planning required in this game, you may want to produce but then you have to be sure you have the capacity to store these goods. You can also work on your military which come in three different kinds and two of these, infantry and cavalry can be recruited against no cost but need to be paid or fed at the end of every year. Untreated military even mutes against you, meaning that a paid military counts as one but an unpaid military counts as minus one. Catapults won't mute, they only need to be paid for while constructing.

Principato is pleasant playing
I think this is a nice game with nice speed in it. You need to plan but that is very well possible with the two cards you have at your disposal. We played with three and I estimate that this game runs equally smooth with two or four players.
Principato is a nice pleasant game with a good game length and it is nice priced! The card board maybe a bit too thin for heavy use and the points come in the form of paper can also be debated, but hey! Principato is friendly priced.

If you are interested in reading more of my reviews, click here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good review, thanks

this could come to my collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.