Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So I finally got this game on the table last night for my maiden voyage. Initial games often have that learning element going on. This one sure did. The Germans couldn't get it together. Panzers getting chewed up left and right. Leningrad, Moscow were never really threatened through 1942. Even worse, German tank production was pathetic. The only seemingly good news early on was the Axis Ally Units Commit. It was nice to not worry about my Rumanian flanks. The Soviets couldn't seem to do any better. Neither Moscow nor Leningrad were fortifified. Possibly, my offensives were so unthreatening to the Kremlin. I also noticed relations with the Allies were strained as Lend-Lease didn't materialize. Soviet Industrial policy was in a bad way, too. At least tank production was decent.

Still, as 1942 wound down, I mentally prepared to shift to the strategic defensive as the Germans lost the Strategic Initiative and shifted to contested. Suddenly, German tank production soared. Maybe Speer got Germany's industrial house in order? All I knew was the Wehrmacht was flush with panzers again. So I figured, what the hell? A last-ditch drive on Moscow and Leningrad. Stalingrad was out of the question. But, I'd finally been able to lay seige to Leningrad and Moscow was within strking distance.

Just as my final offensive was about to kick off, I got another break. The Finns jumped into the war big-time. Suddenly, Leningrad had real problems. I'll spare you all the details (the hour is late), but Leningrad finally succumbed. Moscow traded hands. And once the Finns got in and Leningrad fell, they set off for Archangel. Another break saw this objective come into play. So, I had another what the hell moment and the Finns were off. I remember the Archangel event because it seemed so implausible. Reading about the possibility, I thought, give me a break. How's that going to happen? Well, it happened.

The morale of the story? Keep swinging. 1943 wasn't a cake-walk. But, through it all, I keep focused on the task at hand. For a while, as the Soviets ramped up and Lend-Lease finally starting kicking in, the initiative got contested and the Soviets started getting initiative combat. But, I kept at it and my northern offensive paid off. Cutting off Lend-Lease shifted the initiative firmly back to the Axis. And with my mightly Rumanian allies seemingly sweeping everything before them, I was able to finish off the Soviet Union.

It was an odd game for the first time out. I very much look forward to playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
And with my mightly Rumanian allies seemingly sweeping everything before them, I was able to finish off the Soviet Union.

Conquest or VP victory?

Interesting game, but the luck factor does bother me a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
And with my mightly Rumanian allies seemingly sweeping everything before them, I was able to finish off the Soviet Union.

I was being facetious. The Rumanians held up their end of the line.

Sancherib wrote:
Conquest or VP victory?

Neither. It was summer 1944. Germany still held the Strategic Initiative. I didn't play it out and it was 4 a.m.

I took another swing at the game this afternoon. This time it was a straight-up conquest victory. With Stalingrad falling in late 1943. I scored a lot of city capture bonuses. I also think I goofed on handling the special events table, particularly early on. Again, Lend-Lease was not a factor, which I suspect is not typical. My summer 1941 turn was impressive. There is a balance in pocketing Soviet troops. You need to ensure your panzers are not vulerable to counter-attack.

Good stuff. Alas, the game does take more time and requires some set-up to get on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
Good stuff. Alas, the game does take more time and requires some set-up to get on the table.

I actually found the setup wasn't too bad once I realised there's very little need to sort out counters beforehand. Just find the Panzers, setup the line and you're basically done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
hoostus wrote:
HitchKennedy wrote:

I actually found the setup wasn't too bad once I realised there's very little need to sort out counters beforehand. Just find the Panzers, setup the line and you're basically done.

It is more of a mental adjustment. I've been playing State of Siege games mostly the past couple of years. They tend to have about eight pieces. So I noticed the difference.

Beside, I like my stuff all organized. It is like setting the table for dinner. No hurry here. It's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.