5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Battlestar Galactica & Saboteur rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
What are the similarity and difference between these games ? Is one a more meaty version of the other ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tan
New Zealand
Auckland
North Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are semi-cooperative games with hidden traitor elements. Its a bit unfair to say that BSG is a meatier version but in many ways it is. BSG has variable character abilities, more mechanics in general like the skill card system, the crisis cards, destiny deck and the player roles. Sabotuer has a simple good/bad guy system where everyone plays from a single deck of path/action cards. But both games have gotten expansions since. Sabotuer 2 gives you the chance to have good guys with conflicting interests (good guy teams vs bad guys). BSG has had Pegasus and Exodus which change the way the game is played (New Caprica/ Ionian Nebula endgames, new characters and mechanics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG is also by Fantasy Flight Games, and embodies all that FFG stands for in game design. Depending on your tastes, this may be good or bad. Saboteur is pretty streamlined, and particularly with the expansion, plays very well at any player count up to 12 (!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of the "feel" of the game (maybe this is obvious but it hasn't been explicitly stated yet):

Saboteur is a card game.
BSG is a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to say that Saboteur compresses the interesting paranoia and bickering about who's a traitor down from BSG's many hours to 30 minutes. Saboteur is a pretty simple quick game. BSG is longer and more complex with various subsystems going on and lots of chrome detail. I prefer Saboteur, but perhaps if I was more into the whole "paranoia and bickering about whose a traitor" thing I might like having it drawn out over hours like BSG does. Or maybe not, since my wife doesn't like long games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.