Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Simons
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after about a 6 month hiatus, I brought VdG to the table again. Wanting to refresh myself with the set-up and rules, I briefly skimmed the rulebook and made a startling discovery. On page 12 of the English rulebook concerning Phase 3: Navigation, the rules state,
"Any Captain that was possibly on board returns to the appropriate Player's supply to be used for following Rounds."
The "Player's Supply" is defined during the initial setup as the items in front of the player available for use each round (i.e. action discs, reals, etc.). I certainly missed this little detail when player previously, as we have always returned captains to the recruiting supply, having to purchase them again in subsequent rounds. I can only imagine this will make a huge difference in playing and scoring as in my experience the availability of captains is what normally limits players from sending multiple ships each round.
Hopefully I am one of the few who made this mistaken oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes. There's a real timing game where you want to make sure you get your captains back when you need them, even if maybe you would like to score a boat another turn or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered how it would play if you had to "re-purchase" captains... It seems a little too easy to get them back to re-deploy once their voyage is done, but we've always played it that way (by the rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Simons
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:
I wondered how it would play if you had to "re-purchase" captains... It seems a little too easy to get them back to re-deploy once their voyage is done, but we've always played it that way (by the rules).

The most noticeable difference was the overall score. Having Captains readily available greatly increased the amount of ships people were able to send each round. Not having to re-recruit them along with sailors made money a little more plentiful too. Although I noticed that this just made people more aggressive when choosing action number spots. All in all, playing buy the rules was a much better experience than my over-sighted version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty easy oversight to make. Keeping the captains should increase your ships sailed (and scores) as you pointed out.

Speaking of scores, what was the final score of that ISU-Iowa game on the 10th? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HJ DJ
Netherlands
Steenwijk
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you're not the only one!
We played it yesterday (great game!) for the first time, but with the rule that the captains return to the recruiting supply.
I'll check the Dutch rulebook ...

THX!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HJ DJ
Netherlands
Steenwijk
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check completed.
It was a german rulebook, but it clearly states that the captain returns to the player's supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
g00sep00p wrote:
So after about a 6 month hiatus, I brought VdG to the table again. Wanting to refresh myself with the set-up and rules, I briefly skimmed the rulebook and made a startling discovery. On page 12 of the English rulebook concerning Phase 3: Navigation, the rules state,
"Any Captain that was possibly on board returns to the appropriate Player's supply to be used for following Rounds."
The "Player's Supply" is defined during the initial setup as the items in front of the player available for use each round (i.e. action discs, reals, etc.). I certainly missed this little detail when player previously, as we have always returned captains to the recruiting supply, having to purchase them again in subsequent rounds. I can only imagine this will make a huge difference in playing and scoring as in my experience the availability of captains is what normally limits players from sending multiple ships each round.
Hopefully I am one of the few who made this mistaken oversight.

Thank you so much for this hint. I totally missed it, too. Yesterday, we had a two-player game with the correct rules and it makes navigation so much easier when you don't have to run after captains all the time...(and it is less painful if you "lose" a ship because there's no appropriate space in the next harbor because your opponent blocked it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this several times and missed that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Important for end game points for those that can score additional points.
Example: You know you can manage a situation where during scoring you will get captains back. You were able to buy two projects (which cost you one point worth of coin +1) that you have crew for, but not sail due to no captains. The one point spent extra to buy the extra project nets you an extra 3 points and 6 points overall for doing so with the captains you got back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.