Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that I just got this game and I am realling liking it ... did a solo play through the other day.

My problem is this ... I know the entire idea of the game is to figure out exactly whats happening and what you need to do as an investigater to actually win the game, but that same puzzle should not be the burden of the keeper.

In the first scene, as the keeper, I still found myself trying to figure out exactly what was going on. (and I had access to all clues and the objective cards!!)
I know how lovecraft likes to leave stories vague but the game should not be!! I went through a lot of posts and I think its great how bgg'ers have come up with great story lines to explain the plot from start to finish ... this way I could convey that info to the investigaters and I would also have a better understanding of exactly what is happening in the game.

I just wish fantasy flight would do this instead! I mean at $15.00 for each additional scene you would think they could add one additonal slip of paper that the keeper could read that had a one paragraph description of the entire story background ... It would really help in game setup

DO YOU HEAR THIS FANTASY FLIGHT!!
I have glanced over the other 4 included scenes and it seems like more of the same stuff ... the story line is vague and i really have to reread the clues and the objectives to piece together what is happening in the game (like for instance in the first scene ... with the zombie that is on fire, or the maniac ... I feel myself pretty game savey but it wasnt immediatly clear to me how they fit into the game untill I read some posts about it later)

Any thouhts from anyone or am i just taking these stories to literrialy!!
Just my rant ... was wondering what others had felt about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "storylines" frequently make no coherent sense at all, and the clues make no sense if you stop and think about them for more than ten seconds.

And the expansions are $15 for what should have fit on a single sheet of paper had FFG not designed the game specifically to be hard to set up scenarios for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are fair comments from the OP.

The game is good, the mechanics flow smoothly. The problem for me is that the storylines arn't clear. Also, the flavour text that the keeper is required to read (for theme and background story) quite often doesn't make sense with what is happening in the game. Especially when either the heroes or the keeper has not been very effective,

Seems a shame to me. I feel that I will need to draft up extra flavour text for the clues and event cards to deliver more of the tale to the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I find them faily easy to follow. Maybe I watched too much columbo as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the easiest way to understand each story (as the Keeper, pregame) is to read the intro and the setup questions with the objective cards in hand. Question #1 is the primary scene setter, and its answer, in conjunction with the appropriate objective card, give you the clif's notes version of what is happening: what is happening, who the protagonist is, and the possible outcomes. Then the rest of the questions flesh it out.

After answering all the questions, read the clue cards IN REVERSE ORDER, since they are found in reverse order 4-3-2-1. There's enough plot there to hold together a CSI episode.

I find the bigger problem to be actually having the players pay attention to the clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems this whole issue is going to be fixed with the first main expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:
I think the easiest way to understand each story (as the Keeper, pregame) is to read the intro and the setup questions with the objective cards in hand. Question #1 is the primary scene setter, and its answer, in conjunction with the appropriate objective card, give you the clif's notes version of what is happening: what is happening, who the protagonist is, and the possible outcomes. Then the rest of the questions flesh it out.

After answering all the questions, read the clue cards IN REVERSE ORDER, since they are found in reverse order 4-3-2-1. There's enough plot there to hold together a CSI episode.

I find the bigger problem to be actually having the players pay attention to the clues.

I think one reason the players are not paying attention to the clues is because the story line or the hooks to get them sucked in just isnt there ... at least as is

This is why I plan on adding some flavor text of my own!!
thanks for the comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Seems this whole issue is going to be fixed with the first main expansion...

I hope so ... This is a game that I really want to love but the damb thing reminds of the old D&D days where I had to put the story together myself!! And considering the entire game revolves around the story its kind of unforgivable on the part of FF

Hope its fixed ...
Either way I still plan on enjoying the game I just wish I didnt have to work so hard at it to FINISH THE THING!!angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schorn
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
My problem is this ... I know the entire idea of the game is to figure out exactly whats happening and what you need to do as an investigater to actually win the game, but that same puzzle should not be the burden of the keeper.

I went through a lot of posts and I think its great how bgg'ers have come up with great story lines to explain the plot from start to finish ...

Same problem here. Would you mind to point out WHERE the story lines are explained by bgg'ers? I would really like to read the ideas of a more cohesive background of the stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mondkuss wrote:
barbarianprince wrote:

I went through a lot of posts and I think its great how bgg'ers have come up with great story lines to explain the plot from start to finish ...

Same problem here. Would you mind to point out WHERE the story lines are explained by bgg'ers? I would really like to read the ideas of a more cohesive background of the stories.

No problem ... its in the files section ... and may I add is very well done ...

These were originally created by
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
in a pdf format and later revised a little bit more and put into card form by
Freiduin Shadowleaf
msg tools

(card form)
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66088/storybased-objective...
(pdf form)
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65553/flavour-text-to-read...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schorn
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx a lot for the links. These flavour text based objektives are awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never saw that before, really nice work guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.