Subject: Newbie Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S C
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi, me and friends are avid TCG players, we encountered this problem while playing this game since the rulebook does not clarify it.

My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) of the Tactic Cards and Unit Actions are similar to that of "Instant/Interrupt" from Magic, since there are Action window in every phase and multiple action windows during combat phase.

The question is, when units declared attack and defend, after damage has been assigned but before the damage has been applied, can players play modifier cards? for example, lowering the attack on unit(s) so the assigned damage must be lowered as well? or play a card to corrupt/direct damage that kills the attacking unit, thus cancelling its attack (after damage has been assigned phase)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i understand correctly, then yes you can play tactics cards to modify combat, but your timing is alittle off. once that damage is assigned it 'exists' outside of the units it comes from. so to lower the attack/power or kill an attacking unit, it would need to happen before the damage is assigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Ilchenko
Ukraine
Kyiv
Kyiv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66647/warhammer-invasion-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John is correct here: once you reach the assign damage step, damage tokens exists outside of the units. You can most certainly still corrupt an attacking unit using a valid Action effect but it would be too late to stop its damage from hitting your units/capital, unless an effect specifically says to influence damage "after it is assigned but before it is applied". I am currently unsure if there is such an effect in the current card pool.

Timing in W:I is a tad more crucial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
thanks for the replies.

what about units that get corrupted after declare as attackers but before the damage is assigned? do the attack still go through because the attack has been declared? it's starting to sound very differently than all the TCGs i've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just imagine it this way:

a group of archers is shooting their arrows into the air towards the enemy. This is your "Assign Damage" phase. You can, of course, try to kill or corrupt the archers now, but the arrows are still on their way towards the enemy. You can however try to power up the target of the arrow volley to prevent them from being damaged, but you can't stop the volley itself (unless you have some really really special cards).

Think of the phases this way:

Declare Attacker - Archers ready their bows (they haven't shot yet, so you can try to weaken them)
Declare Defenders - Targets are raising their shields
Assign Damage - Arrows are being shot
Apply damage - Arrow volley hits the target unit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Ilchenko
Ukraine
Kyiv
Kyiv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nekochen wrote:
thanks for the replies.

what about units that get corrupted after declare as attackers but before the damage is assigned? do the attack still go through because the attack has been declared? it's starting to sound very differently than all the TCGs i've played.

if you corrupt unit after declare his as attacker - his power added to general damage (later this damage still assign)... if you corrupt unit before declare his as attacker - his power do not added to general damage..

P.s. sorry for my bad english. I well read, but badly I write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is funny, I just got back into W:I after trading it away a years ago, and was looking for an answer to a question. turns out I answered it 4 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.