Subject: Is Jenny Barnes the easy mode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I just played a solo game with her vs Nyarlahotep, and wow it was total rapage. Nyar was barely able to get one doom token and I finished the game with over ten clues, and a veritable cache of items and trophies. In fact, I won the game by spending two turns in a row just outright buying the last two elder signs I needed.

Now I have played two games before this, and they were both much more tense including one that literally came down to a final battle that ended with a second to last chance die roll, but it looks like I will need to play a bit more before I can claim that the game isn't too easy as some people say it is.

In fact I am going to give ol' Nyarlahotep a rematch and see if I can't pull a fight out of him this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Played two more games... the second one may as well have been called Nyarlehotep: The Punishing. I asked for a fight and I got one, but not in the way I had hoped. Based on the initial draw of adventures and the first monster in play on the first turn, I ended up starting the game with 2 green dice and red and yellow all locked. Not much you can do with 4 green dice. I struggled for a few turns, finally rescued the green dice but of course it was the The Bloated Woman and of course she kept coming back and locking up 2 green dice again. Or I would just get them back and then the next Mythos card would lock one. And I never did get my red or yellow back. I finally staged a last ditch effort to get the red one back, it was do or die and she died. Now, I could have just placed my doom counter and picked a new investigator, but as the point of the rematch was to see how that match up would play out again, I just let her be devoured and decided to end that game.

Third game was much less interesting... not as much of a squash as the first one, Nyarlehotep actually managed to get 5 doom tokens that time. But unless you get screwed at the beginning, all you have to do with Jenny is make sure you are earning common items, spells or clue tokens along with your elder signs and its like a neverending engine of destruction. And if you don't get any of those for a turn, just take a turn, spend one trophy(I was up to 15 at one point) and get a clue and the engine starts up again.

I think I will just not play her again, because her ability makes all the items, spells and even clue tokens to an extent all have the same function, and makes items like the tommy gun much less special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I drew her randomly when I played tonight, she pretty much murdered it all. She was much easier than my first adventurers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawhun
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I would be curious as to know what you guys think of the idea of nerfing her, to maybe where she gets to use her ability once per day instead of before any investigation? Because the more I think about it, I hate the idea of just never picking her if she comes up randomly.

On the flip side, based on that second game with her where I ended up with 4 locked dice, I was also wondering what people thought about a 'mulligan' rule where you can redraw any card or monster that would result in the game starting with more than two locked dice. Because as much as I like trying to fight against the odds, that just wasn't much fun.

Edit: To be clear on that second one, I don't mean redrawing whenever you have 4 locked dice, just at the way beginning of the game, including the initial six adventures, any monsters summoned to them and any monster that may be drawn by the very first Mythos card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also hate the idea of completely leaving one of the investigators out, never playing with them, but it seems that Jenny here is really a poorly designed (actually poorly converted from Arkham Horror) investigator.

Her special ability is overpowering without house rules, it makes all common items and spells to work exactly the same for her, and it doesn't even make sense; at least I can't figure out how exactly "Trust Fund" corresponds to this power that is written on Jenny's card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Kuchenbrod

Cary
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say this is a "yes / no".

Yes : Because WOW she owned on the ones that I needed big rolls / more dice. Just played my first game of this, and she was the power house of the two I played with. Basically common cards are ignored to be "give me two dice". Helped a ton.

No : Because it still comes down to "can you roll what you need?". If you don't have enough clue tokens to help you with harder cards, then it doesn't matter if you have 2 extra dice or not. I found a few times I needed to stay on the entrance and roll to get some more clues, otherwise I would have risked having her lose an adventure card due to not have any type of re-rolls at all.

But I have to agree with the comments above that if you have the choice of having her on an adventure, it really is hard to leave her behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slater
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still on my first play-through, but I picked Jenny at random and then found this thread.

Was thinking that if 'Common Item, Clue Token, or Spell' is too overpowering, then maybe house-rule it to 'Unique Item or Spell'. Or something like that. Seems the plenty of Common Items and Clue Tokens are the main culprits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cotter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Her ability makes no sense for her character, it makes her into some incredible magician.
Try her with this ability instead:
When Jenny uses multiple trophies, she may retain the lowest value trophy used in the exchange.
—That's a trust fund—
Mind you, Leo basically does this.

So better still, she may use any common or unique item to gain either the yellow, red, or white die (from unseen forces). That's how I use her skill now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.