Subject: How does this play without using the event cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tejas Mistry
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
While this is supposed to be a fairly light game (and from what I hear, a fun game) I read the event cards and it looks like they add a bit too much chaos/confusion.

I almost feel like they detract from the core mechanics of the game which seems sufficiently fun and interesting in itself.

Does anyone feel similar? Or do the event cards actually help?
Has anyone tried this without using the event cards?

Comments appreciated.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lee
United States
Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played the game without the action cards and I enjoy the game for what it is...A nice family game of picking up and delivering goods.

The cards can be avoided by the players. The only way a card comes into play is if a player chooses to end his/her turn on a hazard space. So you're not forced into a card draw. Because the deck is about 50/50 good and bad cards a player may choose to take a longer route to his/her destination in order to avoid drawing a card.

Let me tell you it really sucks to be moving along and then lose some of your cargo or have to return back to the city that you just left. Yes, there are good cards in the deck as well but your main objective of the game is to make the most money by delivering goods, which means unless I"m pressed for time I'll avoid the cards.

I got a copy of this game to replace Empire Builder which takes a while longer to play. But it too is a decent pick up and deliver game where you get to build your own rail lines across the USA.

Another game I'd suggest that I think is great is Logistico.

One question I'd ask you is what you'd plan on doing with the hazard spaces? I think that there has to be some kind of risk when entering those spaces but I think the idea of losing a turn is too severe based on the cards in the deck.

Enjoy,

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I think the event cards are a key part of the game. As Joe mentioned in his response above - what would you do with all the "event" spaces if they were now useless. Furthermore, the "stau" marker is only placed via the event cards.

Having worked scheduling deliveries, I can tell you that the it is rarely as "smooth" as a simple "pick-up and deliver" game. There are always things that pop up that need to be handled...the event cards add that detail rather nicely to the game.

In our last game, one person had loaded up 3 contracts only to draw the Ware verdoben (Spoilt Goods) and be forced to dump all of his cargoes. While he could go back and reload one of those cargoes, he did fall a bit behind in his plans. You might think that this bad event card hurt his chances - guess what, he won the game.

Even the good event cards can play havoc on ones plans. I was on my way to deliver in Bruxells, but was going to stop in Rotterdam first to pick up my next contract. But I drew the Familiennachwuchs (Family Matters) card which sent me immediately to Bruxelles to deliver the goods. My plans to load first were disrupted.

But both of these events just fit nicely into the game and we all adjusted plans accordingly, enjoying the game the whole time. And I think that is way I like the event cards in Auf Achse...one constantly needs to adjust and reprioritize depending on the circumstances. Otherwise, the game might devolve into a simple race to deliver the most goods first.

If you don't want this sort of gaming experience and would prefere a pick-up and deliver game without such random factors, I second the recommendation of Logistico. This is a pure pick-up and deliver puzzle of a game. Furthermore, other than a person's intentions, all the information is visible in the game. You can see how close you are to certain ports and how close your opponent is. Therefore, you can now have a race to deliver the most goods first without worrying about random events to upset the plan of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tejas Mistry
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I feared that the game would be too imbalanced and luck-driven as we already have dice to determine the movement, and the event cards could just create even more chaos and imbalance.

Glad to know that the cards can be avoided, and also it wouldn't be fun (or family-fun) if the game reduced to a simple race to deliver goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
tejasm wrote:
I feared that the game would be too imbalanced and luck-driven as we already have dice to determine the movement

A couple of factors mitigate this -

(1) An exact roll is NOT needed to stop at a city to pick-up/deliver goods. This removes much of the luck of getting to the city.

(2) A roll of "6" is "wild" in that the player can decide whether to move any number of spaces from 1 to 6. This again helps remove the "luck" of rolling just the right roll to get where you want to go. Furthermore, entering a city as a result of a wild "6" counts as landing in a city with an exact roll, so a public contract may be offered up.

Both of these factors reduce the need to wait for just the right roll which is what can make movement controlled by dice more luck-driven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
I agree with the other players: the event cards do add some spice -- and unpredictability -- to the game. I feel the game is pretty dry already. Oh, it's fun enough that I will play it happily if asked, but it's not one for which I will be a champion on any particular game night. The event cards do increase the fun factor a bit.

They also offer a risk/reward for those players that are starting to fall behind. Auf Achse benefits the leader in that she can outbid the other players for contracts whose starting points are close to her current route. While she may become risk-adverse to protect her lead, other players can use event cards to try for a quick delivery to catch up in money, or for a "Stau" event to block her path.

Minor note: I freely admit that smart bidding in the auctions can balance out a leader's monetary advantage. Just hope that you don't get stuck with a route that you really didn't want, and wind up even farther behind!

I think that you should leave the event cards in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.