Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: help me choose a bidding/backstabbing game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
klav klav
msg tools
I'm having some trouble choosing between a number of bidding "these will ruin your friendship"-type of games.

Please help me choose between
Kremlin, Intrigue and Junta: Viva El Presidente (reading/viewing review on the original Junta doesn't show that there is more "worthwhile" content in addition to Viva El President. We have copies of Diplomacy and Imperial 2030 so you can leave these out.

We don't fear lengthy, more complex or theme-less games, as long as the game is about bidding/backstabbing/social interaction/manipulation you're welcome to suggest any game other then this which might fit better.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
I have played Kremlin and Intrigue. Enjoy them both but I think Kremlin is the much better choice of those two. Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Maschino
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If testing the strength of friendships is of interest than there's really only one choice: Diplomacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider gigantin or the less evil remake black gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta: Viva el Presidente is a nice fast play screw your neighbor game. There isn't any bidding or auction process, but a secret selection of actions for your militia and a bribery function when the Presidente (the player with the sunglasses!) hands out cards.

If you're looking for an auction mechanic game that with an emphasis on player interaction, I'd recommend Cyclades.

If you're looking for a diplomatic game of betrayal and treachery, I'd recommend The Republic of Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is the poster child for backstabbing games.

If you have exactly 5, I highly recommend Santiago.

Lifeboats and Intrigue are also usually highly regarded as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Cosmic Encounter is the game for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires
And, for something lighter, that also plays up to 10 I think,
Fantasy Business

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would second the suggestion of Santiago as it's a really neat game with extortion and lost of screw others over aspects.

Stay far far far away from Junta Viva El Presidente. What a bleh game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
klavrynd wrote:
I'm having some trouble choosing between a number of bidding "these will ruin your friendship"-type of games.

Please help me choose between
Kremlin, Intrigue and Junta: Viva El Presidente (reading/viewing review on the original Junta doesn't show that there is more "worthwhile" content in addition to Viva El President. We have copies of Diplomacy and Imperial 2030 so you can leave these out.

We don't fear lengthy, more complex or theme-less games, as long as the game is about bidding/backstabbing/social interaction/manipulation you're welcome to suggest any game other then this which might fit better.

thanks

Original Junta is a much deeper game with negotiations that need to go much longer in terms of game turns. So the inevitable knife in the back is far more painful and personal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
jkayati wrote:

If you're looking for an auction mechanic game that with an emphasis on player interaction, I'd recommend Cyclades.

I was going to post that, but you stabbed me in the back and posted ahead of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to a bidding game have a look at Revolution!.

Lots of good backstabbing games have been mentioned. But add to the list Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and the new kid on the block Mob Ties: The Board Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.