Keith Malkowski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't bought it yet (available on Tues. at my local shop) but am wondering if those that own it believe that the game has enough replay value without an expansion.

Also do you think an expansion will be made available for Christmas shopping?

I'll be buying it no matter what the response as I like the theme.

Thanks,
Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it on good authority that...

"The 'order' returns in 2012!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keithm wrote:
Haven't bought it yet (available on Tues. at my local shop) but am wondering if those that own it believe that the game has enough replay value without an expansion.
I think so. I have only played the basic game and I think there are several more plays in that alone. Adding in the advanced rules (both flavors) will add more.

Because it is a card and dice game there is a lot of randomness, so no two games are likely to be the same. There is a lot of sameness to the flow of the game and that may wear some people down, but the overall experience was certainly good for me and the people I played with. It is more about the experience than the strategy.

If not for the fact that we are gearing up for our first try at World in Flames (5th edition, no expansions) FANG would probably hit the table again tomorrow night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern with replayability comes mainly from two points :

- Limited amount of Adventure cards. Being the main gameplay mechanic it starts to feel a bit repetitive little too soon.

- Two Evil Organizations to fight against. A couple more would have increased replayability a lot, as it did happen in AToE.

Probably an expansion will solve this. Other than that, the game has a great theme, good storytelling, and a promising future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:

- Limited amount of Adventure cards. Being the main gameplay mechanic it starts to feel a bit repetitive little too soon.

- Two Evil Organizations to fight against. A couple more would have increased replayability a lot, as it did happen in AToE.

Probably an expansion will solve this. Other than that, the game has a great theme, good storytelling, and a promising future.

Going on Flying Frog Productions' past, I think it almost a given that an expansion will come, more Adventure cards, Promo cards, a web scenario that introduces martian invaders or indeed a zombie outbreak, as well as glow-in-the-dark translucent figures for radioactive nazis.
And if you like what they've done so far, you just know it's going to be awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:

By Adventure cards, do you mean Danger/Cliffhanger cards? The Adventure cards are combined with Artifact cards and Locations to make the artifact adventures. Since there are 25 Artifacts, 25 Adventures, and 45 locations, that's a lot of possible adventures.

The deck that some people think might be a bit thin is the Danger/Cliffhanger deck. At 40 cards, with duplicate dangers, this aspect of the game could get a bit repetitive. Combined, the players face a lot of dangers over the course of the game, so you'll get used to this deck pretty quickly. I'm sure the planned expansion(s) will add more cards to this deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
By Adventure cards, do you mean Danger/Cliffhanger cards? The Adventure cards are combined with Artifact cards and Locations to make the artifact adventures. Since there are 25 Artifacts, 25 Adventures, and 45 locations, that's a lot of possible adventures.

The deck that some people think might be a bit thin is the Danger/Cliffhanger deck. At 40 cards, with duplicate dangers, this aspect of the game could get a bit repetitive. Combined, the players face a lot of dangers over the course of the game, so you'll get used to this deck pretty quickly. I'm sure the planned expansion(s) will add more cards to this deck.

I can't speak for Acererak, but the Danger/Cliffhanger deck is extremely limited. If your games are with 4-5 players, you'll feel the game repetitive after 3-4 plays. It's the main deck and with that amount of players you'll definitely see the whole deck on each play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keithm wrote:
Personally I feel it does. I mean how old does Nazi smashing really get?

That aside, with both competitive and co-op rules - not to mention all the advanced rules (temples, deep jungles, Villans) there's a lot going on in the box. I still have to play the mob (my group just wants to smash Nazi's...go figure)

Quote:
Doubtful. Chances are the husbands who either survived decapitation or initially got told "no" will probably be looking at their wives for this one for Holidays. If anything it seems that the Flying Frog crew probably have other things they're going to be cooking up and getting ready for, for next year.

which leads me into...

Cornbread46 wrote:

Considering that Jason Hill mentioned "The Coast" my guess this is more related to A Touch of Evil than anything. I will admit The 'order' is one of the groups you do encounter here and there in FanG so seeing them rise as a "Vile Organization" is possible (and also sort of fits with the pulp era theme. So I won't fully discount it. There is also their "Cult of the Spider Queen" message from FanG that also leaves me wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:

The deck that some people think might be a bit thin is the Danger/Cliffhanger deck. At 40 cards, with duplicate dangers, this aspect of the game could get a bit repetitive. Combined, the players face a lotof dangers over the course of the game, so you'll get used to this deck pretty quickly. I'm sure the planned expansion(s) will add more cards to this deck.

My bad. Yes I meant Danger cards. Those are the core of the game, even for the storytelling aspect, and after a few plays they get so repetitive you just concentrate in the skill test and forget about the theme. And that affects the whole gameplay experience, especially the replayability aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure FFP will cover all these areas with expansions: villains, enemies, organizations, danger cards etc, etc.

But one thing I thought when I first looked at the game was how can they expand on the map?? We're used to map expansions from FFP but this one covers the whole world so where do they go next... map an area of the world in greater detail or maybe ... the moon? mars? the solar system? Or does that go too far beyond the limiits of this type of pulp game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
rynosseros wrote:
I'm sure FFP will cover all these areas with expansions: villains, enemies, organizations, danger cards etc, etc.

But one thing I thought when I first looked at the game was how can they expand on the map?? We're used to map expansions from FFP but this one covers the whole world so where do they go next... map an area of the world in greater detail or maybe ... the moon? mars? the solar system? Or does that go too far beyond the limiits of this type of pulp game?

They could make a two-sided temple map (for variety) and a temple encounter deck for it. This would be great. And maybe something like this for the zeppelin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the "duplicate" danger cards have different Cliffhangers on the back, so that helps make them a little more unique.

You do encounter the same Danger cards, but they're things like a car chase -- how often does that happen in different movies (or even the same movie)?

The variation in the game comes from the placement and difficulty of the treasures and temples, the interaction from the other players (either competitive or cooperative) and the hazards from the NPCs either passively blocking your way or actively trying to steal the treasures for themselves.

Just playing cooperatively, the game feels different when you add in the advanced things (Jungle locations, temples, the Zeppelin, villains, etc.). The competitive game would have been fine with a single Vile Organization, but a second should provide even more replayability (although I haven't played with the gangsters yet, so I don't know how different they'll seem vs. Nazis).
Edit: I've played vs. the Mob, and it does feel pretty different to playing against the Nazis.

If this game had a fraction of the items, adventures and opponents, I could still see getting it out from time to time because of how well it captures the feel of old serials or the Indiana Jones films.

And yes, as it's Flying Frog, I expect there'll be expansions. New dangers, new baddies, new heroes, new item/adventures... and they could add scenarios to this pretty easily and turn the game on its head again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One 'expansion' idea could include a set of 'location' maps similar to elaborate temples. Players might have to take an artifact 'back' to one of these, which could be an adventure of its own. Yes, like that dreadful last IJ movie but this time it might be more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
keithm wrote:
Personally I feel it does. I mean how old does Nazi smashing really get?

That aside, with both competitive and co-op rules - not to mention all the advanced rules (temples, deep jungles, Villans) there's a lot going on in the box. I still have to play the mob (my group just wants to smash Nazi's...go figure)

Quote:
Doubtful. Chances are the husbands who either survived decapitation or initially got told "no" will probably be looking at their wives for this one for Holidays. If anything it seems that the Flying Frog crew probably have other things they're going to be cooking up and getting ready for, for next year.

which leads me into...

Cornbread46 wrote:

Considering that Jason Hill mentioned "The Coast" my guess this is more related to A Touch of Evil than anything. I will admit The 'order' is one of the groups you do encounter here and there in FanG so seeing them rise as a "Vile Organization" is possible (and also sort of fits with the pulp era theme. So I won't fully discount it. There is also their "Cult of the Spider Queen" message from FanG that also leaves me wondering.

Yeah - I'll be a lot more interested in a Spider Queen expansion than a zombie expansion. Although I'm pretty sure the latter is unfortunately in the works...Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rynosseros wrote:

...Yes! Barsoom, here we come! Space Rangers to the rescue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stadi wrote:
rynosseros wrote:

They could make a two-sided temple map (for variety) and a temple encounter deck for it. This would be great. And maybe something like this for the zeppelin.

I really like the temple idea, it's a simple, elegant way to augment the game as is. And maybe...instead of just a two sided board, there could be a deck of "Temple Cards" that you would use to uniquely build a temple each time you encounter one. Each card would be a different room with different traps or enemies.

A little mini-Adventurers type game within the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys do realize that one of the options/suggestions for the Danger deck is to shuffle the Danger card deck each time before drawing, right? That way a game does not "work through the entire Danger deck". Combine that with drawing from the bottom, as well as having different cliffhanger sides for the same danger cards, and is makes the Danger deck pretty unpredictable. Granted, I haven't played more than a couple games, and mostly solo or with 2 players, but I would think these should allow even the standard Danger deck to be varied enough for many replays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
You guys do realize that one of the options/suggestions for the Danger deck is to shuffle the Danger card deck each time before drawing, right? That way a game does not "work through the entire Danger deck". Combine that with drawing from the bottom, as well as having different cliffhanger sides for the same danger cards, and is makes the Danger deck pretty unpredictable. Granted, I haven't played more than a couple games, and mostly solo or with 2 players, but I would think these should allow even the standard Danger deck to be varied enough for many replays.

That's not the point. Why would it be better if you see the same dangers in the same game more often? If you don't shuffle it back you will definitely see more dangers, though still not enough variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of what he's suggesting is that an individual game has a better chance of having the same dangers resurface, and some dangers not appear at all. That could make different game sessions have a very different feel. I **like** that idea. In fact, I might go so far as to cut the danger deck in half and THEN reshuffle after every danger card has been used in order to limit the number of dangers in a game and force them to appear more often. Doesn't it seem likely that if there's one car chase in an adventure that there are likely to be a lot more car chases in *that* serial adventure?

...until the Danger card expansion decks come out, of course.

...and I really WOULD like to see different decks for different kinds of adventures eventually - especially a Temple Deck.

Montebanc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Eriksson
Sweden
Sölvesborg
Blekinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRSly wrote:

A little mini-Adventurers type game within the game.

This. It would be awesome to have some additional minimaps that are used when you are "adventuring".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.