Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During setup ... as the keeper you have to seed the dungeon, my question is similar to a few others but with a twist.

several people have mentioned that investigaters will tend to go to the rooms that have the highest card stack. While this may be true if you keep the stacks directly on top of each other its kind of hard to tell how many cards are in the stack (besides, an easy fix to this would be to add a few extra "nothing of interest" cards on the smaller stacks), but what is very clear is if you place the "locked room" card on top, it is quite obvious that these are the rooms you want to explore first. Now from a thematic point of view there is no way for someone to know if a room is locked before walking up to the door and trying to open it. What I would like to do for my first game is to place the lock card on the bottom of the stack so every room will have the same back showing from an overhead perspective. Then (except for the fact that one stack of cards might be a little larger then the other) the investigaters will not have an obvious path to follow (no bread crumbs ... so to speak)
My worry is, that from what i have read in the forum, this seems to be a race game for the investigaters ... will it make it too hard for them to finish in time?? I dont want a glowing arrow pointng them in the direction of where to go next (via locked door cards) but i dont want it so hard that they will get frustrated either ...

see my pic below and tell me what you think ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Winters
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is that when they see a locked room card they don't have a clue as to where the key is.
With most of the scenarios they will have a couple of options where the key could be but nothing is certain and if they make the wrong choice they will be behind for quite a while, if not for the whole game.
On top of this, the piece of dialog read out at the start by the Keeper should give them vital clues on the direction to take as well so anything else regarding locations just becomes superflious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, you have to make thematic exceptions in this game. Though investigators cannot move through locked or barred doors, monsters can move through them just fine. Sometimes you just have to make up something creative to explain it.

barbarianprince wrote:
What I would like to do for my first game

Since you have not played this game before, you may not be aware of just how difficult it is for the investigators to win. Visual clues like where locks are may not be thematic but they'll at least give the investigators something to go with. If you take that away, you'll just be hurting their already dismal chances even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a race game...the problem for the investigators is not knowing where to go, but getting to where they need to go quickly enough. The clues lead the players around, there's no point to hiding which rooms have how many cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jshaffstall wrote:
The game is a race game...the problem for the investigators is not knowing where to go, but getting to where they need to go quickly enough. The clues lead the players around, there's no point to hiding which rooms have how many cards.

I do agree with you on this statement for sure, and like I said if your investegaters are always going for the large stacks you can just as easily add some "nothing of interest" cards to the smaller stacks.

My question had more to do with showing them which doors are locked and which ones are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenpolar wrote:
Problem is that when they see a locked room card they don't have a clue as to where the key is.
With most of the scenarios they will have a couple of options where the key could be but nothing is certain and if they make the wrong choice they will be behind for quite a while, if not for the whole game.
On top of this, the piece of dialog read out at the start by the Keeper should give them vital clues on the direction to take as well so anything else regarding locations just becomes superflious.

One thing i do not want is to discourage the investigaters ... I am, by far, the biggest game addict in my group and I dont want to scare anyone away!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Unfortunately, you have to make thematic exceptions in this game. Though investigators cannot move through locked or barred doors, monsters can move through them just fine. Sometimes you just have to make up something creative to explain it.

barbarianprince wrote:
What I would like to do for my first game

Since you have not played this game before, you may not be aware of just how difficult it is for the investigators to win. Visual clues like where locks are may not be thematic but they'll at least give the investigators something to go with. If you take that away, you'll just be hurting their already dismal chances even more.

Nope, im not aware of how hard it is for the investigaters ... thats why I posted this question ...

thanks for the input ... I have decided to show the locked doors again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you are the gamer and don't want to scare the others away...then I highly recommend handicapping yourself.

Don't take the threat in the setup instructions and if you notice that they are not bee-lining for the appropriate room, then take 1 less threat per turn than you should.

Don't announce that you're doing any of this...just do it secretly. If you let them win the 1st game by the skin of their teeth, they will want more. Let them win a 2nd time - again very closely....and in the 3rd game, grind them into the dust that they came from,

You will get many more plays after that.

Have fun!

-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The game setup already resolves this. There are 'big piles' of nothing, as well as 'dud' lock cards.
Just play the game and don't worry about problems until they actually become problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
If you are the gamer and don't want to scare the others away...then I highly recommend handicapping yourself.

Don't take the threat in the setup instructions and if you notice that they are not bee-lining for the appropriate room, then take 1 less threat per turn than you should.

Don't announce that you're doing any of this...just do it secretly. If you let them win the 1st game by the skin of their teeth, they will want more. Let them win a 2nd time - again very closely....and in the 3rd game, grind them into the dust that they came from,

You will get many more plays after that.

Have fun!

-TR

I like your style Mr. D.

Very devious way of keeping your players Keen. I might adopt it myself. From my experience the keeper wins all too often in this game, particularly if you are playing with fresh victims... I mean, investigators whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin bad

Reno
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When we play, the keeper has a pad and writes down the rooms and gives it a number. Then we have a pile of cards for each room off to the side. When an investigator goes into a room, he/she says what room the character is going into. The keeper checks the list and puts out the locked card if needed. This may seem like a bit much but it really adds to the over all feel. And I don't think it handicaps the investigators to the point of making impossible. It doesn't really had that much time either. It does create another area where the keeper can misplace a stack of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.