Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: can I use the doctor or Koln ability on electors and the emperor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aschvey wrote:
Question: can I use the doctor or Koln ability on electors and the emperor?

Yep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow-- fast response. How do you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without consulting the rules, MaBi from mabiweb.com rigorously researches and implements correct rules - it is permitted there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
aschvey wrote:

Because you can do it on any piece on the board and those are pieces on the board. What makes you think they are exemption?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aschvey wrote:

I'm about to review the game and so have spent a bit of time recently making sure I have the rules down pat. There are a good many little questions like the one you've posed, and that's the answer I came up with- either from the rules or the FAQ posted here- I can't recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
aschvey wrote:

Because you can do it on any piece on the board and those are pieces on the board. What makes you think they are exemption?

Now that I a home, to add a bit more to this:

The Doctor (and Koln) affect one Aristocrat. Perhaps you think that an "aristocrat" does not include the Emperor or Barons. However, page2, during set-up, shows that each player has FOUR aristocrats on the board. If Electors and the Emperor were not aristocrats, then they would only have 3 on the board.

Page 3, Aging, says all Aristocrats age by one rotation. This includes the Emperor as a special note is given to him on how to fill the vacancy if he dies at this point. If Emperors and Electors were not subject to aging, they would be "forever young" or at least the age they were when they entered office!

On pages 6 and 7, describing the cards, the Doctor makes no exception to Electors or the Emperor being affected by this card. Compare to the description under Move which also applies to aristocrats. But here, they make a specific exception that it does not apply to Electors or the Emperor.

On page 8, describing the electorates, Koln doesn't even mention "aristocrats" but instead targets "Barons" (single aristocrats) or "Couples" (married aristocrats).

So all of this to say that Electors and the Emperor still retain their classification as "aristocrats" even though they moved into office. They can increase or decrease in age with Doctors/Koln. Thematically, it makes sense, perhaps more so as teh higher offices should have easier access to medical care to improve their health or the intrigues that make it suffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.