10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Zombie Survival or Last Night on Earth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panagiotis Papakos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So I've been looking for a zombie themed game. I am looking for a simple fun game 1-2 hours long, 5 people or so. Initially I was looking at Zombies!, but from what I hear its a very long, overly simplistic game.

So I've narrowed it down to Last Night on Earth, or Zombie survival. Any recommendations? I hear both are good, though LNOE seems to have problems when it comes to multiple players playing zombies. Is that a mandatory rule?

Any other ideas for good zombie games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind Zombies!!! but wouldn't recommend it either.
I haven't played Zombie Survival so I am curious what others have to say.
I enjoy Last Night on Earth but we never play with more than one zombie player and it works out fine. It just means that not all players are controlling the same number of characters or you have less than 4 characters (which is really challenging for the heroes).
I think this game plays best with 2,3, and 5 for that reason but if you don't mind 1 person playing 2 characters then 4 works great as well. In the rules with 4 players you are supposed to have 2 zombie players and 2 hero players but splitting the zombie role just doesn't seem to work for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Papakos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah, did not like that as well. I have no problem playing the zombies, but two people playing a DM role sounds boring. Is there any differences in the balance if two people play zombies or one?(like, do 2 zombie players get more cards, movement or something?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrDuckman wrote:
So I've been looking for a zombie themed game. I am looking for a simple fun game 1-2 hours long, 5 people or so. Initially I was looking at Zombies!, but from what I hear its a very long, overly simplistic game.

So I've narrowed it down to Last Night on Earth, or Zombie survival. Any recommendations? I hear both are good, though LNOE seems to have problems when it comes to multiple players playing zombies. Is that a mandatory rule?

Any other ideas for good zombie games?

I haven't played Zombie Survival, but LNOE is the best of all the zombie games I've played, and is pretty universally well received. It tends to play out like the plot of a B-movie zombie flick, and you'll find yourself telling the story of what happened to the characters when the game is over. Go read some of the session reports to see what I mean.

Regarding number of players and sharing the zombie role, this is only really a problem with four or six players, in which cases two players are supposed to split the zombie role. This isn't really so bad. I actually like conspiring gleefully with my fellow zombie player when we draw our cards each turn and plot the demise of the humans. On the downside, you do have fewer choices to make when you share the zombie role and the game can take a bit longer since two instead of one player is moving the zombie figures on the board.

As an alternative set up for a six-player game, some have suggested having five heroes and one zombie player. The zombie player is compensated by increasing his hand size to 5 and allowing him to discard up to 2 cards at the start of his turn. I haven't tried this, but it sounds like a plausible way to balance out a fifth hero, and worth trying if you don't want to split the zombie role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely want Last Night on Earth. I was skeptical about two players playing the zombies but it makes for an equally enjoyable experience. Really, it is an easy to learn, quick playing B-movie romp that is the beer and pretzels zombie game that you want. If you choose to go for a couple of expansions, too, then Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest can offer you any kind of zombie film trope you can imagine.

I enjoy all kinds of games from light to heavy, Euro to AT and I feel that this game really hits the sweet spot for what you would want in a game of this theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While LNOE isn't my fave game, it's the best zombie boardgame to date that I have played. It has all the required vibes, good bits and quite good mechanics.

I would stay clear of Zombies!!! and while Zombie Survival is one of the better Twilight Creations that I've played it's more a "screw your neighbor" type of game.

However, if you can't resist the temptation of Zombies!!! then you could use the bits for Zombie Plague. Which is also good fun zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!!! gets a bad rap here. But it is the first game I bought and still is one I pull out for a gateway game. It is playable with kids (Even young ones if you don't use the cards), and it is playable with teens and adults that like a screw your neighbor type game.

I LOVE LNOE. it's a bit more gamer-y rules wise, but do-able if you have a good group of newbs.

Zombie survival is one I demo-ed at gencon. It's a good game, but it's solitaire in a group with the caveat that you can send zombies to your neighbor's yard to spite him. It kind of dragged waiting for each person to take a turn, BUT I think if it wasn't a teaching demo, everyone could theoretically take their turn at the same time since they are independent of each other! That would make all the difference in the world. The last thing you do is send zombies to your neighbor, so I think it would work. Heck it may be the way you're supposed to play it for all I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth seems great. I've never played it by itself, but you can combine it with Invasion from Outer Space, which is cool. This Friday, we played with 2 Zombie players, 2 Martian players, and 2 Human players (the humans had two characters each, and drew another if they died.) It was pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love LNOE but I prefer to play as the zombies alone because it is easier to build up good strategies.

The game is great but I like it best with 2-3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Papakos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Excellent! Thanks everybody. LNOE it is! Thanks.

Also, I had not seen Invasion from Outer Space. I'll check that out too.

Thanks for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.