No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Donahue
United States
New York
flag msg tools
It's not explicitly stated such, but I assume the list of VP hexes are those included under 12.7.5, right? In other words, Finland, and city or oil field hexes.

I think it might be good in future additions of the rules to put the list of what constitute VP hexes in its own section, instead of burying it under 12.7.5. Minor nitpick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adamdonahue wrote:
It's not explicitly stated such, but I assume the list of VP hexes are those included under 12.7.5, right? In other words, Finland, and city or oil field hexes.

I think it might be good in future additions of the rules to actual put the list of what constitute VP hexes in their own section, instead of burying them under 12.7.5. Minor nitpick.

Absolutely. Noted.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Savaresse
France
flag msg tools

But if Finland brings 1 VP for the German... why the German player begins the Campain Game with 12 VPs and not 13 ?
At the start of the game I count 11 german controlled cities + 1 oil field... + Finland ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany does not control Finland, Germany must invade it to take control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:
Germany does not control Finland, Germany must invade it to take control.

Very true. You must have a German unit in Finland to control it.

Please read rule [12.7.2]. And the Designer's notes where I talk about Finland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Savaresse
France
flag msg tools

Thank you very much.gulp

I think that I thought that Finland was allied to the German. The color of the Finland Fortress can also let think this wrong idea.

I will read the designer's notes of course. I prefer to wait to play several games before... I just began yesterday !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrunoSava wrote:

Thank you very much.gulp

I think that I thought that Finland was allied to the German. The color of the Finland Fortress can also let think this wrong idea.

I will read the designer's notes of course. I prefer to wait to play several games before... I just began yesterday !

Right!

There was much free/wasted space on the Finland part of the map, In retrospect I could have added a precision text there like:

"1VP, must be occupied by a German (Not Finnish) or Soviet unit"

I'll correct this if there is a second edition printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Germany have to attack the Finnish fort in order to obtain the victory point for Finland (attack its ally?) or will German units coexist with the Finnish fort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
Does Germany have to attack the Finnish fort in order to obtain the victory point for Finland (attack its ally?) or will German units coexist with the Finnish fort?

They will coexist. These two are allies. Just move a German unit in Finland and you'll get the Victory Point: It represents the cutting of the Murmansk Rail line, the possible Capture of Murmansk and advance towards Archangelsk by Germans troops (Finnish troops were unwilling to go that far, their war aims were just to recapture the territory lost in 1939).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I kind of feel dumb now. I always thought the Germans would somehow have to either attack Finland or retake it once the USSR captures it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is explicitly stated in the rules that the Germans can just walk in there. Although for most people this may be obvious, for me it is one of those forehead slapping moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
capadotia wrote:
Oh, I kind of feel dumb now. I always thought the Germans would somehow have to either attack Finland or retake it once the USSR captures it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is explicitly stated in the rules that the Germans can just walk in there. Although for most people this may be obvious, for me it is one of those forehead slapping moments.

Mhhh.. Let me look...

[2.3] Playing Pieces
The playing pieces represent actual military units that
fought in this campaign. The numbers and symbols on
them indicate their strength and type.
The “Axis” (a.k.a. “German”) player controls the German
Army (gray/green) and Axis Allied Rumanian/Hungarian/
Italian/Finnish (blue) units. The “Soviet” (a.k.a. “Russian”)
player controls all Soviet (brown/red) units.

[8.6] Finland
German, Finnish and Soviet units can enter Finland. There
are no hexes in Finland, so consider the entire country
as one huge hex that’s adjacent to many hexes in Russia.
Normal stacking rules apply inside Finland, and normal
Zone of Control rules apply to and from. Thus, Russian
units in the four hexes adjacent to Finland can all join
together to attack it.

I guess not excplicitly. Still the Finnish unit is described as an Axis Allied unit that is controlled by the Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on being dumb then to, German units were there during the Continuation War, But after Sept 1944 settled with Soviet Union and the Lapland War began to expel German Units from Finland. After 41 it was a pretty quiet front for Finland. But i did assume that Germany would have to attack to get a 1 VP. I think it needs to be spelled out better.

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.