Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michel Sorbet
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"A son seul aspect n'est-on pas terrasse? Nul n'est assez hardi pour l'exciter" Job 40:28
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Drive on Cherbourg scenario. After last game I was eager to try another approach with the Americans.

The victory conditions for both sides remain unchanged:

The American player scores a victory:
• Strategic: if he controls both hexes of Cherbourg at the end of Turn 2 (the historical objective)
• Operational: if he controls both hexes of Cherbourg at the end of Turn 3
• Marginal: if he controls both hexes of Cherbourg at the end of Turn 4 (the historical result)

The German player scores a victory:
• Strategic: if he manages to get a unit into 0617 (Utah beach is destroyed) and retains control of Cherbourg and St-Vaaast-La-Hogue
• Operational: if he controls both hexes of Cherbourg at the end of Turn 4 and two divisions (one of which must be 17SS) are in supply to the south map edge.
• Marginal: if he controls both hexes of Cherbourg at the end of Turn 4

The initial setup:

DSC00880

TURN 1

Germans take the initiative as the Americans have no Headquarters on the map. They manage to bring reinforcements to the proximity of Cherbourg and to consolidate their defence.

The Americans press forward and push the Germans a little bit back. St-Vaast la Hougue is taken. If you read my previous session report, then you know why this is important

TURN 2

The Americans have the upper hand so they continue to attack. Fresh reinforcements arrive at Utah beach. The German line seems still very strong but they have to hold for two more turns.

TURN 3

As the German defense to the south-east seems rather strong the Americans try a different approach. There will be no major offensive this turn but Cherbourg is being cut from the south of the map. This means no supply for all the German units in the cauldron!

Can they hold on one more turn? Remember, that because of the lack of supply their movement and defense capabilities are both halved.

TURN 4

The Americans take the Initiative and launch the attack. The 83 Infantry Division enters the suburbs of Cherbourg!

In a final effort to capture the city, the Americans manage to push back the Germans from the west side of Cherbourg. Unfortunately (luckily for the Germans) that is all that they can achieve.

End of turn 4 = end of game.
Result: as both sides control one hex of the city, the game (again!) ends in a draw.

CONCLUSION:
After my second try at this scenario I am almost completely certain, that a strategic victory both for the German and American side is impossible. It can only happen if one of the sides makes a horrifying mistake or if the Americans get super lucky on turn 1 (and only if they receive a fighters unit on that turn).

Next time I will try something else (scenario Cobra probably).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.