Steffen Soller
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first edition base game but none of the expansions. I guess the 2nd edition incorporates some of the expansions into the 2nd edition.

Considering the price - it would probably be cheaper to get the 2nd edition than the expansions for the first edition (German version...they are still available)

So...what would you guys recommend based on what you know about the expansions and the content of the 2nd edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, I'm in the exact same dillema as you. Although I think I will prefer to buy the expantion rather than buying the new edition. I do like the charming wooden pieces...

Still, eager to hear some replies to this one as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the second edition and use your wooden pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Soller
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anything important in the expansions that wouldnt be in the 2nd edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argorius wrote:
Is there anything important in the expansions that wouldnt be in the 2nd edition?

From what I've seen the necessary ports variant is now part of the boardgame art so you don't have to fiddle with the pieces. Also, they've found a way to balance the game for less than 6 players by adding more "neutral army" tokens that go onto the major territories of houses not being played (therefore, if Tyrell isn't being played, there will be neutral armies in Highgarden and surrounding lands that will require a minimum force strength to enter - but like The Eyrie and King's Landing, no battle takes place and no leader cards are used.)

As for the various options for leader decks and Event decks, it remains to be seen whether those options will be retained, or if either a specific selection or blending of those concepts will end up in the "standard" decks.

One thing is for sure - the 4 Player "prequel" variant will likely not be in the new game as it was originally introduced to address the normal map's imbalance when used with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argorius wrote:

That's an opinion but I'd say no. Also, it may be difficult to get the two expansions anyway.

I'd say definitely get the 2nd edition. The revisions will be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
North Manchester
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argorius wrote:

Well one thing I remember liking in the expansion that won't be in 2nd edition is the leaders. I liked the ease it allowed to chain actions and the useful ability to essentially get the benefit twice from a territory they provided. I'm not sure it would be a deal breaker for you. Personally I'm cheap and since I didn't own any part of the first edition I decided to go 2nd because it saves money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.