Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Either this game and/or Touch of Evil are on my radar for a some day purchase. Lately my focus is on games that can be played great solo and ones that my wife enjoys co-op.

Question: Is the solo mode the only way to play this game by yourself or can you for example play co-op with more then one character? Just wasn't sure whether this is any hidden information that would prevent solo co-op play.

While my wife hates many competitive games, she may enjoy this one in a competitive style as long as it does not involve a lot of player conflict. Can one play the competitive mode solo as a learning experience prior to teaching their first game?

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Lauer
Germany
Braubach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can one person play this game number of different ways?
Here you can find a good example for a soloplay...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/688271/a-solitaire-review

As in ATOE the solo-play follows the rules of the competitive game, but there are possibilities (ATOE) to mix them up by using the coopeartive chart for the mystery phase of the game. Still waiting for my copy of FANG to arrive therefore can't answer your questions from personal exprience. The solo-play ist for sure a good training field for teaching the game to others. Pardon my english (german native;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook, which can be found online at the Flying Frog website, the solo game section says you can play either one character or multiple characters. When you play multiple characters, you follow the co-op rules. When you play one character, there are a few additional rules on top of the co-op rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

I'll take a look at that, thanks.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play the game (co-op mode) solo with multiple heroes, all of your heroes share one hand of Event Cards, so that eliminates any problem with hidden information. This style is actually listed as an option in the rulebook.

As for your wife not liking direct conflict, the only realy direct conflict in the game (apart from possibly racing for the same treasure) is the event cards.
However, all the event cards that hurt your oponent also have an "or" ability which will help you out instead so you can pull your punches without really pulling any punches. That should keep the wife happy

For example, an event card may say something like: play on a hero in a mountain area and they take d6 wounds or Play when you are in a mountain area to gain 3 glory.

As for playing competitive solo, that's a little more tricky but very doable. You would just know what your "oponent's" event cards are and where any secret deliveries are headed to. For a learning game you could absolutley do it but if you wanted to play an actual solo game, it's a little redundant since the solo/coop modes are much better suited for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.