Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet, but have read the on-line rules. I have a question about locked dice icons. Some adventures have them and apparently some monsters also have them. It is possible to have so many locked dice icons in play that it becomes impossible to complete anything? Would that be an automatic lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice. It seemed like most were red and yellow locked dice symbols. So we still had the green ones. not sure if all the greens could get locked.

My Question about them is this:
Say the red die is locked on a card. Then I draw another red locked die card. 1. Does the die move to the new card? 2. How about when the card holding the red die is completed. Does the die move to the other red locked card? Or does it only move to a card when its drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't see one myself, so unless there is a rule that removes all the adventure cards from play when the AO wakes up (returning any locked dice to the pool) then it is indeed possible to be put into lockdown status.

EDIT: Unless as mentioned above, the green dice are not lockable. Not sure about if locked die move to other cards as they are resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Total of die lock symbols on all the monsters:
3 Yellow
2 Red
2 Green (Only used when playing with Nyarlathotep as the Ancient One)

Total of die lock symbols on the Adventure Deck:
1 Green
1 Yellow
1 Red

Total on the Other World Adventure Deck:
NONE

Total on the Mythos deck (Only lasts a day):
1 Green
0 Yellow
0 Red

So I would say, no. It is not possible to lose all 6 green dice (in the base game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
2. How about when the card holding the red die is completed. Does the die move to the other red locked card? Or does it only move to a card when its drawn?

Cut and pasted from the rules, one cannot move a die that is already locked on another card or marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
vonkohlmann wrote:
Quote:
2. How about when the card holding the red die is completed. Does the die move to the other red locked card? Or does it only move to a card when its drawn?

Cut and pasted from the rules, one cannot move a die that is already locked on another card or marker.

But, when the card is completed, it's no longer locked. So is it moved the to an empty lock on another card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
vonkohlmann wrote:
Quote:

But, when the card is completed, it's no longer locked. So is it moved the to an empty lock on another card?

No, it only locks the die when it comes into play.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played 7 or 8 games thus far and haven't seen a green die lockout yet. Yellow and red dice have been locked out here and there... the worst case being an adventure that locks out the red, which a few turns later was the only legal placement for a yellow die locking monster :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
soiledshortz wrote:

No, it only locks the die when it comes into play.

This is the way I interpret the locks as well -- that they only trigger as they come into play. However, if folks are looking for ways to make the game a little tougher, this might be one of those small issues that (in combination with other changes) could help make the game more challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I hope it's addressed in the FAQ...

Ok, what if a die is stored on a spell card. Then a die lock card is drawn. I believe the rules say something about the die staying on the spell until it's used. So it's safe then?

(I really hope this game gets an official FAQ soon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the dice don't move if they're on a spell or lock, but the locks are continuously checked. If there's an open lock and a matching unlocked die, the lock immediately activates. If the die's on a spell, it stays on the spell until it's used, and then gets locked immediately if there's still a lock open.

For Sister Mary, if she casts a spell and puts one of the locked dice on it, it'll stay on the spell until it's used, and then go back to the lock.

(This is just my interpretation, not any official ruling.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jessee
United States
Helena
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state "He must place the die on that icon even if the die was
on a Spell card or Investigator marker, but he cannot move a
die that is already locked on another card or marker."

Based on that, I would think that the die gets moved unless it is already locked. If already locked, then it seems that it does not move and the lock would have no effect later if the original card locking the die went away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
Total of die lock symbols on all the monsters:
3 Yellow
2 Red
2 Green (Only used when playing with Nyarlathotep as the Ancient One)

Total of die lock symbols on the Adventure Deck:
1 Green
1 Yellow
1 Red

Total on the Other World Adventure Deck:
NONE

Total on the Mythos deck (Only lasts a day):
1 Green
0 Yellow
0 Red

So I would say, no. It is not possible to lose all 6 green dice (in the base game).

But, (assuming your AO is Nyarlathotep) you could have the red, yellow and three of 6 green dice locked down. Therefore all you would need is for all adventures in play to require at least 4 dice to complete and you'd be in a completely locked down situation.

I guess it's not hopeless as you could go beat up monsters knowing you'll fail the adventure they were on just to free up dice, but it would be bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.