Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » General

Subject: Can the French survive with only one Settler card: the Quebec card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who have played this enough times--likely everyone but me--if the British do take both of the Empire Settler's cards, how difficult is it for the French to win?

What kind of handicap is it for the French side to not have either of the Empire cards?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
For those of you who have played this enough times--likely everyone but me--if the British do take both of the Empire Settler's cards, how difficult is it for the French to win?

What kind of handicap is it for the French side to not have either of the Empire cards?

goo

I have not played it yet where the British player tried that strategy, but given what I know now after 5 plays, I'd hazard that a extremely thinned French deck would be able to use win by sieging or raiding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:

I haven't won a game as French against good opposition. (That's what I want to try next.) But as British I've not taken the two green Settler cards and have won that way. And it's worth noting the the French do have two Settler cards if they really need them, the second is the Intendant. Expensive I'll grant you, but an option.

If the British did try the two early green Settlers play, I think it's time for a French military assault. But as I said, haven't tried it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the British are asking for trouble if they open by buying the two neutral settlers on turn 2. That's a lot of money that they won't have to spend on military units when the French launch the siege of Pemaquid. I've not found it difficult to win with only the Quebec settler. As already mentioned, use the Intendant to pick it up again for two uses each time through the deck.

If the Brit thinks he can win by focusing on emptying out his town pile, he's probably wrong. Left alone, the French should have plenty of time to upgrade enough of their juicy starting locations. If the British player is more aggressive, neither will have the luxury to settle frequently, and the cards will just bog down your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried and won as the Brits with this strategy; however, my opponent did not go aggresively military. She tried to compete on towns and, even so, it was close. If instead, she had pushed the military I think she would have won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think this gums the British deck up with a lot of useless cards. The French should take (and resign themselves to funding) the Intendant so they can fish Quebec out of the discard pile from time to time as needed, or they should go after the British militarily or via raids (those Settlers are no good at all in a fight---on the contrary, they turn 2VP targets into 4VP targets.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you one and all: even you, my dear Dearlove. kiss

Just consider it Bent getting bent, or Snape getting snaped.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the second game I played the British used this tactic against me and I found it very difficult for the rest of the game. I hadn't read any of the strategy advice around BGG so didn't immediately attack Pemaquid - although I'm not sure I would have been able to given the cards I had.

Although the French do have a marginal military edge at the start I don't think it is enough to guarantee being able to seige Pemaquid. I did get a fort in Fort Beausejour to raid from but it is relatively easy for the British to generate cash and my oponenet quickly grabbed a green fort card and Pemaquid was fortified before I really had a chance to go on the offensive.

It's hard for the French to generate cash to fund both an increasing military and a raiding campaign - the cheap option the French have is to expand but that clogs your hand up. Developing the already present villages to towns typically requires a Settler card and you are limited to just Quebec - which requires even more money to retrieve via the intendant. Although I kept the British at bay for quite some time I never really felt I was in with a chance of overturning the situation.

It looked a pretty strong openning move for the British to me - it should be said I wasn't desperately lucky on how my first couple of deck cycles went in terms of having fur cards in my hand at the right time to generate income with the trader - this undoubtedly gave the British breathing space to recover financially and reach military parity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon, good food for gaming thought here.

Yes, attacking and besieging Pemaquid is not the same as actually winning the place. Is it more the threat then the execution that is important?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won a number of games as the French with only the one Settler (Quebec). They were all military wins (siege vs Boston or New York). I have also lost to others playing the French when I denied them the two neutral settlers. Both time this happened they won via VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Gordon, good food for gaming thought here.

Yes, attacking and besieging Pemaquid is not the same as actually winning the place. Is it more the threat then the execution that is important?

goo

A long siege at Pemaquid is the best thing to happen to the French. They can then get all the non-pelt cards out and use the trader for beaucoup bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I have tried and won as the Brits with this strategy; however, my opponent did not go aggresively military. She tried to compete on towns and, even so, it was close. If instead, she had pushed the military I think she would have won.

I tried and lost with this British strategy, because my opponent *did* go aggressively military, and the extra cards gum up the works too much. That was against a very competent French opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bent, my experience is, against a competent French player, the double Settler strategy is very problematic--for the British! It leaves the Brits cash poor and with a bloated deck--not a good combo. I think the French have a lot of answers against this strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Friday, my opponent took a neutral settler card and won by placing all of his towns on the board.

With Intendant and Home Support in his deck, he was able to develop his villages pretty easily. Perhaps i played not aggressively (i mean sieges)...

More details here : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/698162/expansion-and-develop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Played today: English resigned after I as French drafted a Ship, Coureur des bois, Halifax and Home Support, then proceeded to pirate, ambush and siege them into the ground. The English never had more than 10 moneys at any given point after they spent their first 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fogg
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two days a go I turned the tables on a complete English victory by Sieging and settling New York.

While the english was busy going the Port Royale - Louisbourg - Quebec way,
I as a French was defending by buying all infantries and militias, ambushing with the natives and slowly making my way to Albany, getting rid of the extra cards with Governor. Once the English were getting ready to smash Quebec, Two successful ambushes got rid of artillery and regulars and I sieged NY just after losing Taddoussac and surprised the English with no troops at hand to counter the move. Used the intendant to rescue the ONLY settler card in my deck - Quebec for a win.

So far Ive had two wins as a french, one lose and one win as an English. I NEVER took any othe settler cards, even if the game went the settling way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Not needed at all, I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.