Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SMG seems to have come out of nowhere to become my top "must have" game. It looks beautiful, and I really want to try what looks like a real attempt to create a brand new wargaming experience, with its combination of components and styles.

Day of Days is the no brainer purchase, but I suspect that it might be best to start with some extra soldiers to properly experience the system and get a true flavour of its potential.

What, then, is the ideal combination of add on soldiers to create a robust starting platform? Do you need an extra leader pack to go with extra troops? Are MG teams a solid addition for now, or best left until later?

Any advice would be welcome, and quickly if I am to sneak an order in before the new cut off date!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the DoD set that is avaliable, I suggest leaving out the MG teams for now. When map expansions come out, then delve into the MG/Heavy Weapons teams.
I picked up and extra rifle squad and a leader for each side. The leaders have auto weapons to spice things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree extra leader with a rifle or sub machine gun.
Then either an assault or rifle team.
However considering postage customs handling charges it may be worth adding more than an extra leader and team per side.

I added in a MG42 and .30 cal team until extra terrain comes out the MG's wont see much action. However it does give a lot more variety and choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies chaps!

Postage and customs charges are always the extra stinger to consider when making purchases across the pond, and normally they do edge me towards "buy now, save that extra handling charge from the extortion racket that is Her Majesty's Customs". It looks like the most likely purchase will be an extra team, leader and MG per side, along with the base game. I hope my wife doesn't read this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginjav wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies chaps!

Postage and customs charges are always the extra stinger to consider when making purchases across the pond, and normally they do edge me towards "buy now, save that extra handling charge from the extortion racket that is Her Majesty's Customs". It looks like the most likely purchase will be an extra team, leader and MG per side, along with the base game. I hope my wife doesn't read this!

Same here with postage Downunder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angus ,

If only one extra team per side I would go with the Assault teams as I believe the next option after La Friere Bridge is a tactics deck to take advantage of the rifle grenades/panzr fausts.

It probably also includes the MG's

I went for Both MG's , German Assault and US BAR.

Just thought I would add some more things for you to ponder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just say that I believe the game (w/o any new features added yet, like the coming tactics cards), is "Leader-driven". Having a Leader(s) three-rank's of cards to pick and choose from, gives player's lots of flexibility in configuring the Action cards that'll be included in the draw mix. Single Soldiers can be a real "hit or miss" when it comes to the cards they ship with.

In addition to the three-rank sets of cards a Leader ships with, they're the ones that might have the attribute to actually allow Holding cards.

I'd buy a couple leaders per side if possible.

Soldiers are the brawn in the SMG system, while the Leaders are the brains (that allow the card-play to be manipulated to greater affect).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think it makes more sense to buy for what there is now and what we really believe is "soon." the tactics cards sound cool but who knows when?

We're hearing a lot about a map/scenarios expansion called La Fiere Bridge. I think I read somewhere this will double the space. So that's a very good thing for the MGs to be included. And it sounds like the 'next release,' so it might be soon.

Even on the regular space, you could make something interesting, say, with an MG team and maybe just a couple guys for support, on defense against a larger force.

Or maybe using the MGs to support an attack when you don't have big odds.

I actually think the first extras should be picking up another leader for each side that is 'different.' You get a US rifle leader, so getting a Thompson for them makes sense. You get a German Mp40 leader, so getting a rifle leader for them makes sense.

And then I'd think about more rifle guys. Doesn't sound exciting but that's where you can really make some choices for force make up. It's the low VP cost guys you will really want to have around when you're buying troops.

If I were buying from overseas, I'd really be thinking about pressing lost battalion for "exactly when do you think the expansion will come out?" and maybe making the big order then. You know you'll want the extra map and scenarios. If the paypal account or credit card will stand the strain, I'd get Day and the bridge and a goodly force of troops all at the same time. Yeah, more rifles, an MG team for each side... maybe save the 'assault team' things for the future when we really see where the tactical things happen. but that's just my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you buy, I have learned a lot from just playing some games of 4 on 4. This game is different than other games I have played and I think it helps to get a feel for it and the basics down before you try anything more. I just got some more troops today and thought it was funny that my Bar team was named Kipling and Emerson. A very poetic duo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the leaders being a good first purchase. My Paratroop leader I just got with a Thompson has three cards, one at T/Sgt. one at Corporal and one at Pfc. The T/Sgt is more a platoon sergeant rank so so you would probably not have more than one per platoon maybe two (I am not sure what the rank was for a platoon guide) if you were going for historic organization. The corporal and Pfc rank leaders, you could have several per squad. I am not that up on WW2 US organization I just know what we had when I was in the army. I will have to look into the WW2 platoon organization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea is that the T/Sgt is going to be the guy in charge of the squad. If you have a larger group, you might use the Corporal version as a secondary leader. He gives you more cards in your hand and the ability to hold more, and is also a fall back position if your T/Sgt. gets himself hurt.

Much of the time, it all comes down to how many VPs you have to spend.
Take note of those four cards that all soldiers will take with them, whatever their rank. If these are things like a "Shoot" action or lethal hit checks, this might be a guy you want to add to your unit, even if he is just coming in as a private.

And it's so cool to have options like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's great about SMG covering the possibilities for scenarios during D-Day, using the Day of Days set, is that the missions don't necessarily need to reflect the tables of organizations for the US Paratroopers, because of how the troops haphazardly assembled after the airborne drops from whomever they could get together "on the go".

(historically, Captains could be leading a few troopers, while Corporals could be leading many)

The German contingents encountered could/should reflect closer to normal leadership ranks though in DoD.

With an eye on expanding troops for the next battle scenarios post D-Day though (like with the La Fiere Bridge set), some semblance of US rank order would certainly have been in effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not even think about the chaos after the DDay drops. You could have just about any group that banded together. You would even have troopers from 101st fighting beside guys from the 82nd. I was not sure about the T/Sgt or if some of the US leaders might come with buck Sgt. as the senior rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have emailed my order, and an awaiting an invoice! I went for:

Day of Days
Paratrooper BAR Team
Paratrooper Rifle Team
Paratrooper M2 Carbine Leader
Paratrooper M1A1 Thompson Leader
Luftlande Assault Team
Luftlande Rifle Team
Luftlande Rifle Leader
Luftlande MP40 Leader

I held off on the MGs for the moment. From reading the replies I decided to get extra leaders, to give some extra flexibility in squad building, and a good mix of basic troops to flesh out the roster.

I am very, very excited about SMG: it really does look like a unique game, with incredible components.

Thanks to everyone who helped with information and advice, it was much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you enjoy it all, Angus. You can get the MGs when the next expansions come out. These troops should give you lots of good options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, not to revive an old thread, but I've been trolling for a while as this game only came on my radar about 2 weeks ago. While I was hesitant at first at the $100 initial buy in This game seems to be worth it so I am planning on jumping in as well ( Birthday coming up ).

If I were only to get a single squad or leader per side, which would be suggested from the vets who've played this game? Although I'd love to get one of everything... $200 for a base game is about all I can ask from the finance committee ..

So, there it is. Would you suggest getting leaders or squads and which one for either side..

Thanks,
-Rob

(edits: spelling errors)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, they say timing is everything!

To the point, how far away is your birthday?

At the $200 price point the choice will be whether to go for mass (buy an extra fire team per side + DoD & shipping), or command+; getting an extra leader per side but just one fire team for a single side of your choice (+ DoD & shipping).

The "ideal" buy-in would be an extra rifle fire team and Leader per side as my suggestion, but that'll take you over the price-point goal.

If your B-day is months away, I might hold off to see how the LBG add-ons are rolled-out in the meantime, because the "Causeway" set might be the best choice for around $200 then (if it makes a timely appearance), or perhaps the new tactics/weapons cards might make buying assault teams a better bet over regular fire teams. (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid November on B-day ... I could wait few weeks afterwards to order, but what I've been reading and researching sounds like a game that my son and I could really like (he's 11). I've played Memoir '44 and Dust Tactics with him and a WWII squad level game would be awesome.

Also, what is "Causeway"?

Thanks,
-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 2 American leaders (Thompson and M2 Carbine) and a German Rifle leader. The nice thing about the leaders is that you get three choices (ranks)non how to deploy them.

I could see how additional rifle teams would also be beneficial.

(Note: I am still grousing about the initial cost and costs for upgrading... finding it difficult to justify buying more into the system)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Belli
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The next expansion scheduled for SMG is called Road to Carenten.

It will have 16-5" tiles and 2-10" Landmark tiles. It will have a scenario book featuring 20 new scenarios, a deck of cards containing story cards, new order cards and new cards pretaining to US and German Assault team packs.

We have released this to our publisher already so it should be in production soon. We are manfacturing the maps as we speak.

So just to clarify the Road to Carenten and Causeway are two completely different expansions. There seems to some misunderstanding on that. So after Road to Carenten, Causeway will be next on our agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robkoch2112 wrote:
Also, what is "Causeway"?

Causeway is the big "original" set that was to be issued initially, before the more affordable Day of Days set was decided for release (from what we've read here on how the product was rolled-out by LBG).

Here's an idea of what might come with Causeway (which is still planned), lots more terrain and a few more figures:

The above pic is from one of the demo's Jeff conducted this summer, but he and Kevin have said in posts on this board that this is a similar sized idea they have for the "Causeway" game. There's two terrain expansion sets in the planning too, La Fiere Bridge, and Road to Carentan (the latter hopefully only days/weeks away from release now).

You've probably seen this thread already, but here's an idea of what will come with the RtC expansion set:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/708366/first-look-the-ro...

StevenE wrote:
(Note: I am still grousing about the initial cost and costs for upgrading... finding it difficult to justify buying more into the system)

Steven, you know you'll end buying more......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelli wrote:
We have released this to our publisher already so it should be in production soon. We are manfacturing the maps as we speak.

Good news!

I've got a game con and two SMG games scheduled for it the second weekend this November, so Rob will I have Road to Carentan by then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion of "names with C in them."

Carentan and "December" have never been in the same sentence until now.

"Causeway" was talked about for a December release.

David, I'll let Rob answer your "mid November?" question about Carentan as he's where the factory is and knows much more than I do about actual shipping.

Going back in history about things I do know about, Causeway was-- way back when-- originally intended as a dual release with Day of Days. The huge demo map Jeff was using at Historicon was planned for Causeway, but there were a couple glitches found in it and they elected to focus of doing only Day and also spending more time on final game development.

In the meantime, there has been some rethinking about contents. At that $200 price point, Causeway had the huge map (4X what came in Day of Days) but only a few more figures. We know the huge map is impressive but there are not that many occasions folks could use all of it, while taking SMG to a 4 player game seemed a good course. There are also several other elements in the mix and it is still not confirmed what will be in the big box for Causeway, but we will let you know as soon as that is settled. Right now the main production forces are on Carentan, allowing for an immediate expansion of map size (double) and lots more scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.