Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Magic Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does learning a spell via "Perceive Spell" require an appropriate Magic chit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question: From section 7.5.7, on the Magic Site result "Perceive Spell"
Quote:
If you have an Artifact or Spell Book active, or if you have discovered a Site chit with Spell cards in your clearing, you can look at its Spell cards and learn the one you want without awakening any spells.

Notice that there is nothing there about having the appropriate Magic chit, unlike the similar entry under "Learn Spell", from the Reading Runes table:
Quote:
You look at the Spell card and if you have a Magic chit that matches the spell’s type you can record it.

Is this intentional? I suspect it is, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
Another question: From section 7.5.7, on the Magic Site result "Perceive Spell"
Quote:
If you have an Artifact or Spell Book active, or if you have discovered a Site chit with Spell cards in your clearing, you can look at its Spell cards and learn the one you want without awakening any spells.

Notice that there is nothing there about having the appropriate Magic chit, unlike the similar entry under "Learn Spell", from the Reading Runes table:
Quote:
You look at the Spell card and if you have a Magic chit that matches the spell’s type you can record it.

Is this intentional? I suspect it is, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

You can only learn spells for which you have the appropriate type Magic chit. This is explicitly stated for the "Reading Runes" table in 7.5.6c.2)

If he rolls a "learn" result, he can record the spell only
if he has a Magic chit of the type needed to cast that spell; the
Magic chit can be active, inactive or enchanted, as long as it has
the proper Roman numeral.

It is not as clear that this applies also to the Magic Sight table. 7.5.7e says:

A "Spells" result allows him to learn one spell without
awakening it. He can specify an Artifact or Spell Book he has
active, or a Site chit (with Spell cards) that he has discovered in
his clearing, look at all of the Spell cards that belong to that item
or site (without changing their order) and choose the one he
learns. He looks at the cards after specifying the item or site.

This might make it appear that the character using Magic Sight could learn a spell for which he does not have a Magic Chit. However, I would call attention to the Q&A for the First Edition on Nand's site at:
http://www.nand.it/mr/mr16.html

Q. Does a roll of "4" on the Magic Sight Table allow the Witch King to learn a spell at the Shrine? Must he take his chances and draw the top spell or may he directly record the Type V spell there?
A. Yes. He may directly record the Type V spell.

Note that this does not say that he could record the Type I spell that is also at the Shrine -- because the Witch King does not have a Magic I chit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. That was my first guess, but the wording of the "Perceive Spell" result led me to think otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes the VP requirement for Spells much harder to meet! Would it be better if the rune reader is allowed to learn ("study") those spells without the ability to cast them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulfhethnar wrote:
That makes the VP requirement for Spells much harder to meet! Would it be better if the rune reader is allowed to learn ("study") those spells without the ability to cast them?

I think the answer to the difficulty of the "Spells" Victory Conditions is to define a VP equal to 1 or 1.5 spells learned instead of 2. It hardly makes sense to give a character credit for spells that he has no possible way to cast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. This limitation is consistent with the availability of spells in development games.
I would opt for 1 Spell = 1 VP. This won't make acquiring VPs from Spells much easier or harder than looting for Great Treasures. 2 seems like an overkill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.