Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this awhile back for games not in the top 100 and got a lot of flap about games out of the top 100 shouldn't be considered as being underrated. Honestly....there is a lot of truth to that. And I'm realizing there are MANY games in the top 1000 that are good games.

So....what games - rated below 1000 - would you recommend people give a second look to?

My first is Krysis ranked 3224. I picked this up at GenCon for about $10.00 and have been pleasantly surprised. While it may not be GREAT...it has some good elements and some customization options that should let you play this for quite some time. You can still pick this up for around $20.00 on-line and I think it would be well worth it.

Colonia currently ranked 1035. While not a great game, if you shop around you can get it for $30 to $40. It plays well and for that kind of money it is at least work a look. Nicely produced and engaging (enough) game play. Overall a good - but admittedly not great - worker placement game.

So...these are my two out of the top 1000 that I feel should at least get a second look.

What else, in you opinion, is out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I would have to say Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth! at rank 1044.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of my "9" and "10" rated games, only one is ranked below 1000:

Fist of Dragonstones, ranked 1310.
Here is a session report I wrote about it: First Time with the Stones
For anyone who loves blind bidding, fantasy theme, and Citadels, this is worth getting ahold of. And even those who aren't too into blind bidding, there's a multi-type auction variant on faidutti.com.

Of my "8" rated games there are 6 ranked below 1000:

Lascaux, ranked 1513
Beautiful cave-painting-themed auction/bidding card game that uses real shells for the bids.

The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Pendants, ranked 1367
Tactical asymmetric game (all vs. one), nicely integrated theme.

Eketorp, ranked 1258.
Not only goes up to 6 players, is best with 6, pretty rare. Viking-themed blind simultaneous action selection, you're building castles and fighting your foes. Dirk Henn design (Shogun/Wallenstein (first edition))

Knightmare Chess, ranked 1072
Turns chess into a chaotic crazy battle. Another Bruno Faidutti game.

Beowulf: The Movie Board Game, ranked 1027.
Reiner Knizia re-theme of his earlier Kingdoms. Very mathy, but, doesn't feel at all dry, due to the constant tripping up of your opponents.

Hameln, ranked 2880.
Lowest ranked of my all top-rated games! A Fragor Games game (designers of Snow Tails, Shear Panic, Antics!, etc). Pied piper theme. It's got the cute little Fragor animals (a rat and I think cats?). There's a lot going on, more complex than their other games; one of the criticisms is that there's too much going on. But, still worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
For anyone who loves blind bidding, fantasy theme, and Citadels, this is worth getting ahold of. And even those who aren't too into blind bidding, there's a multi-type auction variant on faidutti.com.

The trouble is finding a copy of this game. I've been trying for a while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

The trouble is finding a copy of this game. I've been trying for a while...

Faidutti's trying to get it republished apparently:
"I’m still quite proud of it, and still think that Michael Schacht and I managed to recreate the same psychological intricacies as in Citadels using completely different game systems. Despite this, it was only a qualified success, it was not reprinted, and a new version is now looking for a new publisher."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was persuaded to get Kraków 1325 AD, and I have to say it's a lot of fun. It's strangely rated at 1493.

Havana is at 422 and totally underrated. Fantastic introduction to a range of Euro mechanics.

If you really want to screw over other players get Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas at 797

for great fillers: Little Italy at 4748 for a Knizia game and Fiji at 2660 for a Friedemann game

for epic games: Kingmaker sits at 1065
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abandon Ship #1808 is pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dirge: Carnage in Crimson
Great game. Pity negative feedback on the paper board (which you get in plenty of games) seems to have put a halt on any future expansions or development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ka-Ching! is a very good and elegant 2-player game (also made 3 or 4 players by Trader and its cumbersome box). It's similar to Richelieu, another very good game.

I also recommend The Boss, a recent game that wasn't very much hype. A simple bluffing mechanism. Also good is Offerings, an excellent auction game with two unfortunate flaws (one role is underpowered, and the game gets a bit samey).

My favourite, however, of the 1000+ games is Bobby Lee. It's a block wargame, and isn't too scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bombay is a quick, fun, action point based pickup and delivery game with variable markets. It has neat bits and is pretty, and is easy to teach to entry-level gamers. Great way to introduce this style of game. I think it's quite good.

BITS hasn't gotten any love yet, since I don't think it's out in the USA, but it's a very nice puzzle game with no disproportionate luck. That is, everyone gets the same set of pieces and objective cards, and the only difference is skill. With more than one set it could play any number of players in the same game.

Creationary is a silly fun lego game. I recommend the included variant where everyone but the judge builds at once. It's great for creativity and was enjoyed by my group of adults. I recommend it even more highly for kids. Sure, there's no strategy here, but it's great fun

Faces, tom vasel version was hilarious. Maybe it doesn't deserve to be in the top 1000, but for what it is, it's great party fun.

Qwirkle Cubes is another puzzle game, which clearly doesn't get much love here. It's deeper than qwirkle. This game is a perfect fit for some of my brainy-but not gamer-friends

Sneaks & Snitches probably isn't highly ranked because it's light and quick, but it plays a bunch of people and is a brilliant game where you're playing the other players. This reminded me of the Ludology discussion of player "levels" where when you get better, you are playing what you think the other players will think you think they think you will play. Cheap, plays quick, neat bits, liked by EVERYONE I've played it with, again including non gamers

You've Been Sentenced! is a word game, so doesn't rank highly, but I'd much rather play this than a lot of other party games. Plays quickly with lots of players. teachable in 2 minutes. Lots of requests for this one. Silly fun defending off the wall sentences!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting thread. It made me wonder about my own collection. It seems that a majority of the games I own (that are actually rated) are rated below 1000. I'd say almost every single one of them deserve a second look. These are not bad games by any stretch of the imagination, and I am not just saying that to defend my collection!

Some notables...

Tomb
Warlords of Europe
Scrumbrawl
Pocket Battles (both of them)
Mertwig's Maze
Melee
Divine Right
Cry Havoc
Clan War
Chaostle (wtf is up with that rating)
Barbarian Prince

Ugh, I cannot list any more. Board Game Rank is ridiculous. If you are interested in a game, don't look at the ranking, look at the game. If I went by rank, I would not have found half of the gems I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
I nearly forgot I'm the Boss!: hysterical game.

To pick up on one point; I look at the game rating AND how many fans it's got AND the spread of the ratings and a few reviews. As an earlier post pointed out the ratings are hiding many great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two suggestions would be:

La Strada - #1278 Great, short connection game that fits the under-populated "Meaty filler" category.

Amazonas - # 1206 Beautiful board and simple collection mechanic masks a tactical brain burner. Important decisions every turn around when to go early in a round, when to expand, and where to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicalgamer wrote:

I'd say this would be more popular if it was readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
I think Mecanisburgo ranked at 1821 is an underrated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Of my "9" and "10" rated games, only one is ranked below 1000:

Fist of Dragonstones is ranked 1310? Well, that's 1309 games that have a lot to answer for… o.O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my 9s:

Bolide, ranked 1118, still my favourite racing game by far. With rules for simultaneous placement, the game is quick and a real race. Add to that some rules for shooting and ramming and we've got it.

Dragon Strike, ranked 2867. A great Dungeon Crawler. Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game, ranked 1221, same there.

Greedy Kingdoms, ranked 4002 (!). The only reason this is so low is because it's hasn't been available for Essen. This is a simultaneous action selection "I think he'll choose this, so I'll choose this" absolutely fantastically designed fast two-player game, it's quite better than Grimoire from the same designer, published by Z-man. It has a totally crazy expansion too. Z-man (or someone) really should pick this up.

Longships, ranked 4487, trading and plundering in the North Sea. Can't blame the low rating, it's a home-made game in 200 copies. Some would claim it's much too random. I absolutely love it.

Svea Rike, ranked 1718. A game based on Swedish history, where players represent nobles and try to get honour points during the game, based on land owned, trading done and culture, with war and random events constantly getting in the way. A lot of people claim the dice and card drawing destroys this game, but I love it. It's fun and varies each time. And the game swings a lot between cooperation and hostility.

World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game, ranked 1370. But I'm a bit biased on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my 8s (filtering away those that I regard as most personal bias):

Bump in the Night, ranked 4551. This is an abstract strategy game, where you chase girls around a house of horror, setting up routes so wherever they go, they will HAVE to bump into more monsters. The drawback here is that the rules are pretty hard to understand, but once you get going, it's a great game and one I'm really glad I have in my collection.

Chronicle, ranked 1608. I'm giving this an 8, and thinking of a 9, and I've a friend who gives this 11 out of 10, claiming it's one of the best games ever designed. And he's a real picky guy, too. This is a trick-taking game with 3 suits numbered 1–10 and six wild cards, and special powers on each card. The more you get to know this game, the better it gets. All discards are open information, and once everyone remembers that 4 steals cards, that the 6 allows you to pick up a card, that 10 destroys a card, and so on, this turns into a real winner. I am absolutely sure I'm playing this in 20 or 30 years from now. It's timeless and doesn't rely on a specific theme.

Chrononauts, ranked 1189. It's basically an advanced Fluxx, but it's a lot of laughs and really fun.

Whack a Catgirl, ranked 4751. This is a game that relies on its theme, but it does it very very well. It's fast and it's fun. My deck is breaking down, as I've played this certainly over 100 times. For people who have ever been to any anime convention, this game is awesome.

Barbarossa, ranked 3352. Yeah, yeah, the art the art. Fact is, this is designed by a military fan, and this is an immensely well done non-collectible card game with a deck-building aspect. Half of the game is deck-building, half of the game is playing with your deck. The only drawback is the lack of interaction (it's a race for the points), but it's made up by the fun of combining card effects and building up your army. Really. And El Alamein is even better. Some publisher should REALLY pick up the photograph versions of both these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RattleSnake, ranked 1960, is about as simple as a game can be. It's part of FF's "toys" line. And it's clearly intended for children. But what a fun game! The magnets are terrific and the tense moments trying to squeeze your magnet onto the board while all the ones already on there are quivering ready to snap together in an instant make this game great.

Prolix, ranked 1945, is an awesome word game. It plays quickly. All players are always engaged (because you can "interrupt" other players' turns). It's an innovative idea. And it's cheap! I got it on Tanga for 7 bucks (plus shipping).

I also have and enjoy Devil Bunny Needs a Ham, ranked 6831, and Rapidough, ranked 4121, but they're not really anything spectacular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
RattleSnake, ranked 1960, is about as simple as a game can be. It's part of FF's "toys" line. And it's clearly intended for children. But what a fun game! The magnets are terrific and the tense moments trying to squeeze your magnet onto the board while all the ones already on there are quivering ready to snap together in an instant make this game great.

Indeed, this is a very, very fun game. Its rule set is "bad" (player order is crucial, and rolling the dice makes luck way too important), but it is indeed very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread !

BGDigger wrote:
Abandon Ship #1808 is pretty fun.

This game is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.