Danny
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some friends and I are traveling for vacation this week and have booked flights with long layovers so I was thinking about bringing a small game to play. Out of the small imprint games I have, I was considering The Resistance (using this variant: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/650966/simple-4-player-varia...), Biblios, or Innovation. I know that none of these games are "best" with 4, but I don't want to buy anything new/I'm not going to pack Alien Frontiers. Thanks!

Edit: added url

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Altman
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think Biblios is fantastic with 4, it's one of my favorite games. Resistance is awesome too but I only like it with a large group.

Not sure about the last one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don;t know Innovation, have played The Resistance (better with more) and think Biblios is seriously great. You can't go wrong with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Dickinson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation is just fine with 4 players. Expect a game to take an hour or so. I strongly recommend the Echoes of the Past expansion as it introduces more realistically attainable special achievements and seems to get more cards into circulation faster. It does add some length to setup as you have to shuffle in cards from different decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those you listed, I believe that Biblios is the best 4 player option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the Resisitance.

Innovation takes up a relatively huge amount of table space with 4P. Biblios, by contrast, has a tiny footprint. It is also a vastly superior game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance would be terrible with 4... I don't think it can be played with 4, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance requires 5. I enjoy it with 5 but more is probably better with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
The Resistance would be terrible with 4... I don't think it can be played with 4, anyway.

charlest wrote:
Resistance requires 5. I enjoy it with 5 but more is probably better with more.

The variant I linked makes it playable by four. I've never played it that way, but the designer comments in the thread which makes me think it may be good (or passable). I've also only played it with 5 or 6.

I enjoy Biblios as a 2 or 3 player game, but have stayed away from it as a 4 player game after reading session reports stating that it comes down to luck of the "gift" phase since everyone pretty much figures out what colors other people are going for.

I really enjoy innovation, but am not sure how well the team variant works (again, never tried), and playing normal 4 players would be way too chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios > Innovation > The Resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the other two, but I love biblios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
ecargo wrote:

Biblios by far. Grace only puts Innovation next because she owns it and won't admit it is meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You sir, are meh.

Innovation is way more interesting than The Resistance. That being said, The Resistance is not uninteresting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
For four players? Meh, all of those (excellent) games play poorly with four.

- Innovation becomes far too congested with four, even though the game rules obviously allow for four. 2-3p is the sweet spot for this game.

- The Restance technically is 5-10p. I don't see how a variant would make a 4p version of Resistance as good as the 5-10p version. To me, the more you have for this game, the better it gets.

- Biblios goes up to four, but it's also pretty chaotic. It comes down to grabbing at least one of each card, hoping your opponents didn't do the same, and then hoping you get enough dice pips to win. 2-3p is the sweet spot for this one, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
ecargo wrote:

Biblios by far. Grace only puts Innovation next because she owns it and won't admit it is meh.

Innovation is Fluxx for people who are too trendy for Fluxx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Brian. I probably wouldn't recommend any of those with four players:

The Resistance isn't even playable with four players--besides using an unofficial variant. But I personally think it dies off quite a bit at five players. I like it with 6-10, but not much with 5.

Innovation would get cumbersome. I would steer you to Carl's other game: Glory to Rome.

Biblios is a good game. So I suppose if I had to choose out of your options, I'd go with this. But Biblios is really more of a filler. If you want a good filler for four players, yes Biblios. But if you want something with depth, stay away.

If you want other suggestions, please let the BGG community know exactly what it is you're looking for and I'm sure the people will speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
ecargo wrote:
You sir, are meh.

Innovation is way more interesting than The Resistance.
100% disagree.

My suggestion is to unpack all 3 games from their boxes, shove them into a baggie, and take them all. Cards travel quite well and you can use iPhone or whatnot to keep track of score.

Also you can recruit random bored travelers to play Resistance with you.

Also, buy or make a Tichu deck. Perfect with four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
(as someone who's played all a bunch)

Biblios < Innovation < The Resistance

I also think the 4p variant might be interesting, but have never tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones listed, Biblios is best for four. The Resistance is for 5 to 10 players, so you won't play it. And Innovation gets too chaotic at 4 players (I like it better with 2).

One more suggestion, since you have 4 players, you may like Tichu. I know it's not part of your original question, but it never hurts to toss another idea into the mix...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.