Nick Fleece
United States
New Baltimore
MI
flag msg tools
Jesus Christ is Lord of my life.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to figure out which worker placement game would be good for me.

Here are my needs in order of importance:

Good with 2 players
Not any more complicated than El Grande or Catan: Cities and Knights
Variety
Plays in less than 2 hours

Please help me!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would recommend Agricola(only drawback on your priorities is that the card play makes it a more complex that El Grande. However, there is a very simple family variant you could start with and add the easy card deck which doesn't take too long to get used to.)

Another option is Stone Age. This is not one of my favorites, but a lot of people like it. It is relatively quick and easy. Just played it last night actually. Only drawback here is that I don't this it is optimal with two, but it works okay.)

Alien Frontiers is a great worker playment game that I think fits all of your requirements. There is an expansion coming out next year that you could always add to spice it up in the future.

Carson City is a good worker placement game. Lots of variety and fun especially if you like players attacking each other. Only drawback a bit more complex than Stone Age and Alien Frontiers. I have never played this with only two.

Some others with potential that I have not played: Fresco, Egizia, Kingsburg, Asara

Have fun making a choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are my needs in order of importance:

Stone Age or Agricola. You decide.

Good with 2 players: This is a push. Both are equally good for 2. Agricola gets better with 3 or 4. While Stone Age is good with 2, 3 or 4.

Not any more complicated than El Grande or Catan: Cities and Knights:
Stone Age wins here. Agricola is more complex than either El Grande or SoC:C&K.

Variety: Agricola wins here, hands down.

Plays in less than 2 hours: Advantage Stone Age, although 2 player Agricola is definitely achievable once you know what you are doing. I am including setup time here as well. Stone Age sets up much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RogertheDumpling wrote:
I am trying to figure out which worker placement game would be good for me.

+1 Stone Age based on what you said. I don't know most of the other games mentioned so far. You might consider Caylus Magna Carta:

Good with 2 players? Yes, although better with more.

Not any more complicated than El Grande or Catan: Cities and Knights? Less complicated than El Grande. I don't know Catan C&K.

Variety? Yes, in that the road is entirely different each game.

Plays in less than 2 hours? None of my games have gone over 75 minutes, even with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City
Homesteaders
Alien Frontiers
Egizia has got some unique bits, quite enjoyable for the genre.
Stone Age for randomness
Kingsburg w/expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both Stone age and Agricola and there is nothing wrong with Stone age but Agricola is way better. So i would recommend Agricola!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benji
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Caylus Magna Carta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems that many are recommending Stone Age and Agricola. Yes, both great games. If you're really big on it not being complicated get Stone Age. Very fun game, plays well with 2. Agricola might be one you get after settling in with Stone Age for a bit. It is indeed a bit more "thinky".

Having said that the variety is awesome, and you may really enjoy seeing how each game goes with different improvements and occupations. I've played tons of both and would highly recommend them.

Also, you should have no problem playing Agricola in under 2 hours. From my MANY plays I've found it to be about 1/2 per player, pretty consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age. Also, Stone Age is getting an expansion, Stone Age: The Expansion, this October which will freshen it up once you have played a lot of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Stone Age would be my pick as well... great game and not overly complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would say Stone Age.
I just played it yesterday for the fourth time and everybody had a fun evening. Later on we tried a two player game and we also had a blast.

So....Stone Age!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Egizia >>> Stone Age (for our group at least)

Egizia was everything we hoped Stone Age was going to be. Relatively easy to teach, still tense, interesting decisions, and fun. Stone Age really fell flat for our group...

+1 Carson City
+1 Agricola (worth the depth)

Magnum Sal, but it's tricky to get a hold of....
Luna is also a good one, but not necessarily easy to learn. I'd take Agricola over this hands down if you go deeper...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have a look at A Castle for All Seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're considering Stone Age, have a look at Fresco, Magnum Sal and Pergamon.
In my opinion, these 4 games have on-par depth, so I believe they're worth the look at if you're considering one of them.

I taught Fresco to some completely non-gamer and they said the "what colour to purchase" and cross referencing that with the "unpainted part of fresco" and the "colour mixing" made them hurt a little.
Also, I taught Pergamon to some casual board gamer and they said the game is not that easy.

Although I received these comments, I still think these four games have the same depth. They'll probably change their mind after two or more plays. So I hope these comments won't affect you.

Regards
p/s note that Pergamon is not a pure/true worker placement game, although it has that mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
I still find Kingsburg to be good game, and as recently as Saturday started to add the expansions into the mix. Plays okay with two, as you have to roll a third set of dice to take up some of the placement options.

I also think Pillars of the Earth is good, but only plays up to four without the expansion, so bear that in mind. Can't recall what this is like with two though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Stone Age. I assure you you're wife will love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Stone Age once, don't really care to play it ever again. Kinda boring to me. I like Agricola better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Stone Age. I also like Fresco very much, which is probably on the same level of complexity of Stone Age, although the 2-player variant uses a dummy player, which not everybody likes.

Another favorite of mine is Kingsburg (rigorously with expansion), but it doesn't get played much in my group because one of my friends hates it.

I find myself strangely attracted to the worker placement category, too, although the genre is starting to look a bit stale in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't go wrong with the third highest rated game on BGG.

Agricola.

I don't get the talks about the "complexity" of that game. It's certainly less complicated than cities and knights you mentionned.

The complexity comes from cards. But then the rules for playing those cards are not really complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiberiu Doman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
+1 for Agricola.
I play it with my wife and it can go quite quick in 2 (~ 1hr). The game can be simplified (family game) or stretched to >3 hr by adding expansions and variants.
Also, it was my first serious game after playing Settlers+ for a couple of years. I don't think it's a big step.

-10 for Stone Age
Horrible experience for me and my wife. Simplistic and boring.

I also enjoy Puerto Rico in 2.

Depending on your preferences there are other style of games (tile laying for example) that work very well in 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric chang
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like The Pillars of the Earth and if you want direct conflict, I like Carson City. With PoTE, it feels like a traditional Euro game; convert resources in VP. With Carson, it is more Ameritrash-like with dice, theme, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
tdoman wrote:
+1 for Agricola.
I play it with my wife and it can go quite quick in 2 (~ 1hr). The game can be simplified (family game) or stretched to >3 hr by adding expansions and variants.
Also, it was my first serious game after playing Settlers+ for a couple of years. I don't think it's a big step.

-10 for Stone Age

While I agree that Agricola is the "better" game, it is also a more risky proposition.

I have found that the people who like it tend to love it. I have also had instances of people vowing to never touch it again for as long as they live. Stone Age on the other hand has always been well received.

Given Geoff's current collection I would think Stone Age is the better fit, with Agricola being a good option to keep in mind down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
tdoman wrote:
+1 for Agricola.

-10 for Stone Age

While I agree that Agricola is the "better" game, it is also a more risky proposition.

I have found that the people who like it tend to love it. I have also had instances of people vowing to never touch it again for as long as they live. Stone Age on the other hand has always been well received.

Given Geoff's current collection I would think Stone Age is the better fit, with Agricola being a good option to keep in mind down the road.

Our group has been the opposite. We've all loved Agricola, but found Stone Age to be boring. Between all of us, we've purchased A LOT of games in the last 9 months since I introduced Agricola to some friends (who had only played Settlers and it's many iterations previously). Agricola opened their eyes to other Euros. Stone Age is the only game since then that really fell flat with our group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.