Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb

151st BS ......... 152nd BS ......... 153rd BS ......... 154th BS

BG...................BB...................GB..................GG

Gentlemen at ease. This last mission went a slight bit better. Today we are going back to France … Sgt. Murphy Pull the curtain please…

We are still accepting new planes to join the group, as we start a second tour. For those of you just joining us, here is a summary of the "rules," as they are:
* I will be rolling up the mission parameters, fighter support, flak cover, weather and date for all missions.
* There is no required format for reporting your results, but the more info you present the more entertaining it is for everyone. If you track who gets injured, how many fighter kills, etc., then I can summarize that info at the end of the mission period for all bombers.
* All flights must be flown by the following Sunday (in this case, 11/9/18 ), and I will prepare an After Action Report the following Monday. If you happen to miss a week or two, no big deal, just join back in when you can.
* All planes are assigned to a squadron. If you are new, just post a response in the thread giving your plane name and you will be assigned a squadron. Squadrons are being given a position (High, Middle, Low or Low- Low.) by jasta6, as recorded here.
* Lead and Tail positions are still being assigned to volunteers. Please note that only bombers in MIDDLE position can be lead, and only bombers in LOW-LOW position can be tail. So if you are in one of those squadrons, and nobody has yet volunteered for a position, roll 1d6. If you get a 6, you are the lucky winner.
* Some optional rules can be found here.

…. “everyone was looking at an unknown target just 70 miles North-West of Paris” …as the curtain was pulled back revealing a line to.... Good luck and Gods speed boys!”

MISSION Sixty-nine:
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 1943
Primary Target: Beaumont Le Rogers. Airfields and Ammo dumps

Secondary Target: None

Bomb Load: 15 x 300 lb H.E. M31 bombs
Bombing Altitude: 22,500 ft (Low Group)

Gazetteer:
Outbound & Inbound: [i]Zone 2:
–2 W / Zone 3: 0 F / Zone 4: 0 F

Target Flak: Light
Target Weather: Clear 0/10 Cloud Cover (+1 on bomb drop on O-6 Table)
Base Weather: Good

(RAF Spitfires IX’s outbound / inbound)
Zone 2 outbound: fair
Zone 3 outbound: good
Zone 4 outbound: good
Zone 4 inbound: fair
Zone 3 inbound: poor
Zone 2 inbound: fair

Note: Gents, don’t forget to add your Squadron Positions modifiers to the above Gazetteer values.

Mission Special Rules:

B) The Alymo came back in repairable condition, this mission 1st Lt. Craig Krenzel’s Crew (infomanohio) will fly the Gun Ship, “Alymo” (YB-40-10-VE 42-5732). This ship will be in the No. 2 slot with the lead squadron, 152nd BS. We still need volunteers for upcoming missions, if anyone would like to take the beast of a Fortress on a future mission GM me and I will assign you on the first available mission. The Gun Ships is allotted on a first come first served basis. The 281st will only fly one ship per mission though.

Also, due to the YB-40’s presents in the squadron it flies in, everyone in the 152nd, except infomanohio, are afforded the benefit of removing one enemy fighter per attacking wave. This is in addition to any “Little Friends” cover removals. I suggest you remove fighters randomly, but use whatever you use to remove enemy fighters due to “Little Friends.”

As with before on the last mission, I would like infomanohio to get his flight in as-soon-as-possible so others know if you have to leave formation early.

Mission Map:

-Historical Mission: (from “The Mighty 8th War Diary by R.A.Freeman) Mission 69 most of the 1BW and all of the 4BW went to St. Nazaire to bomb the lock gates and port area. The rest of the 1BW (303rd, 379th & 348th) went to Beaumont France. The second target is the one we will attack as we are following the 303rds mission list.

The 303rd notes that their mission was near perfect. Here is an excerpt from the 303rd BG(B) Combat Mission No. 46 on their web page:
One of the planes, Stric Nine, piloted by 1Lt. Jacob C. James, had to turn back because of engine failure. He got into another plane, took off again, and rejoined the formation in time to bomb the target with the rest of the Group. The story, as he told it, was, "We had trouble with the No. 3 engine. I tried to feather it, but it wouldn't work. Right then oil started spurting, so I pulled out of formation and came back to the field. We all jumped out and ran over to another plane that was all loaded and ready to go. This was about an hour after take-off, but we knew that if we hurried we could catch up with the rest at the rendezvous. We got up all right and started climbing. We were about 700 feet higher than the rest of the planes, so that when we did see them, we could dive right down into position. We arrived five minutes ahead of everyone. When they came along we dove into our former position in the formation and went along. We really wanted to get this one in. It looked too good to miss. Our bombing was perfect, so it came out all right."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, please remember I would like players to, at a minimum, list the Crew (pilots name with rank and Planes name of their Fortress at the beginning of all AAR post to help me facilitate updating the Roster List? Please use the format below as this will help me create the list in a timely manor.

If this format is not followed I may have to pass over your record as it takes more time to compile than it should have to. Adding this information will make it much easier to assemble this extra fluff for our campaign. Please remember to also add your pilot’s rank.

Thank You!

EXAMPLE wrote:
Pilot: 1st Lt.. Andy Anybody
B-17: "Bombs Alot/Miss Alot"

Also please add your Bombardment Squadron somewhere at the top too. This will help me in data entry. i.e. 154th BS

Jim P cool
Thanks....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
281st BG (V) Aircraft Roster for Mission 69 [Beaumont Le Rogers, France. A/F]

- Player's Squadron Assignment can be found at this thread: Squadron Assignment

- Squadron Positions for this mission can be found at this thread: Squadron Positions

Mission : (Volunteers)
---- Lead: Flight Lieutenant Marlowe's Crew in "Love's Labours Lost"
---- Tail: 1st Lt. M. Newman's Crew in "GUNSLINGER"
---- YB-40: 1st Lt. Craig Krenzel's Crew in “Alymo” (YB-40-10-VE 42-5732)

Squadron Leader Blackadder's Crew in "Blackadder Goes Forth" [AAR]

Capt. Sir Timothy Midwinter's Crew in "The Lady Adelaide" [AAR]

Capt. James Nelson's Crew in "Indy Go" (B-17F-20-DL 43-110822) [AAR]

1st Lt. Seth Gecko's Crew in "Santanico Pandemonium" [AAR]

1st Lt Harrison's Crew in "Purgatory Owl" (B-17F-10 42-5733) [AAR]

1st Lt Jeffrey Kaminsky's Crew in "Kay-Tee Lynn" (B-17F-70-B0 42-29826) [AAR]

1st Lt. Craig Krenzel's Crew in “Alymo” (YB-40-10 VE 42-5732) [AAR] YB-40

1st Lt. Damoklis Maniakis Crew in "Lucky" (B-17F-BO 43-3563) [AAR]

Flt Lt. Marlow's Crew in "As You Like It" [AAR]

1st Lt. Steven Millard's Crew in "Slightly Daffy" [AAR]

1LT. M. Newman's Crew in "GUNSLINGER" [AAR]

2nd Lt. Peter Berg's Crew in “Lady Liberty” (B-17F-75-DO 42-3544) [AAR]

2nd Lt. Larry J Leffel's Crew in "Korb" [AAR]

2nd Lt. Johnson Rocky's Crew in "Here We Go Again" [AAR] ABORTED

Major Chase Pfalzstaff
Squadron Operation Officer
Elveden Hall, UK
3rd Bombardment Wing HQ

(edits; Crews added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my boys can get along without me for a mission. We've got a couple of new Lieutenants finally, so I won't be needed in the air with the 153rd.

-Ed Acton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K. Edwards
United States
El Centro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major,

My boys in GUNSLINGER volunteer to fly the tail position for this mission.

Respectfully,

M. Newman, 1LT. USAAF
Pilot- B-17 GUNSLINGER
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
WE NEED A VOLUNTEER FOR THIS MISSION TO FLY THE YB-40!

Well Major, if you don't mind a brand-new crew taking the Alymo out for a short run, the boys of Buckeye Nation will do it.

1st Lt. Craig Krenzel
B-17F-50-BO 43-1803
Pilot, Buckeye Nation
152nd BS, 281st BG, 8th AF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Major,

The survivors of Love's Labours Lost volunteer for lead bomber duties in their replacement bomber, As You Like It. We feel some payback is due.

Respectfully Yours,

Flight Lieutenant Marlowe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: Crew Assignment approvals

To: All 281st BG(H) Personal

Lead Aircraft in 152nd BS: Flight Lieutenant Marlowe's Crew in "Love's Labours Lost"

Tail Aircraft in 154th BS: 1st Lt. M. Newman's Crew in "GUNSLINGER"

YB-40 assigned to 152nd BS: 1st Lt. Craig Krenzel's Crew in “Alymo” (YB-40-10-VE 42-5732)

Major Chase Pfalzstaff
Squadron Operation Officer
Elveden Hall, UK
3rd Bombardment Wing HQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mastermunster wrote:
I think my boys can get along without me for a mission. We've got a couple of new Lieutenants finally, so I won't be needed in the air with the 153rd.

-Ed Acton

Thank you for filling in when we needed you Ed!

Mjr Pfalzstaff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was trying to volunteer for the Alymo, but good luck to Mr. Krenzel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Pfalzstaff was back in the control tower with the binoculars to his eyes.

"Anything yet?" he asked the tower controller.

"Not yet, sir. Should be any minute though," the controller replied.

To himself Major Pfalzstaff said, "Why did I give LeMay's prized plane to that rookie crew? I must've had too much at the Dog and Duck the night before..." Pfalzstaff started to bite his lip.

"Excuse me, sir, we've just made contact - the Alymo is number two for the main runway." Pfalzstaff looked through the binoculars and soon caught sight of the Alymo. She looked intact. That was good.

"What's the word from the crew?" Pfalzstaff asked.

"Port elevator inoperable, one superficial hit, and three crewmen lightly wounded." Pfalzstaff nodded. The rookie crew had done all right after all. Pfalzstaff watched as the Alymo touched down on the runway and rolled to its hardpoint. All of the crew crawled out of the plane and three of them hitched a ride on a jeep to the base hospital.

"Well, the Alymo made it through Lucky Mission #7," thought Pfalzstaff. "I wonder how many more she'll make it through..." Pfalzstaff went back to watching the rest of the returning bombers.

Game Notes: Another successful flight for the Alymo. In reading the General article on the YB-40, I'm not sure they ever carried bombs so I didn't have any on this mission, just the normal YB-40 ammo load. The General article also mentions that the YB-40s always flew in the Lead slot until the target zone, which to me is another indicator that they never carried bombs. Extra ammo or fuel in the bomb bay, but not bombs. I also ended up using the B-17G defensive fire chart for the 4:30 and 7:30 slots as the YB-40 defensive chart is curiously empty for those slots. I only faced six enemy fighters and managed to shoot down two of them with one probable.

So, my fellow pilots in the 152nd - the Alymo made it to the target and back - you're covered by the gunship on this mission. See you at the Dog and Duck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Beaumont le Roger AAR

Mission 69/Bomber 19
Pilot : Squadron Leader Blackadder
B-17 : Blackadder Goes Forth
Squadron : 153rd

Crew :-

Pilot Sqn Ldr Blackadder (20)
CoPilot Fg Off Byron (20)
Navigator Plt Off Dodd (6)
Bombardier Fg Off Allen * (5)
Engineer Flt Sgt Topper #######**** (34)
Radio Operator Sgt Hackett #* (14)
Ball Turret Sgt Katt ##### (16)
Waist Gunner Sgt Barker (1)
Waist Gunner Sgt Corbett (1)
Tail Turret Sgt Rum ##**** (20)

* Fighter claimed.
# 5 fighters claimed.
() Number of missions completed (excluding this one).

Fighters claimed : Nil.
Bombing results : 94% !
Injuries : Nil.

Debrief

"At long last, a proper milkrun ! The only fighters we saw were two waves in and out of the target area, all of which were deflected by our friendly Brylcreem Boys. Flak was non-existent, visibility was excellent, and we had all the time in the world to line up on the target. Young Allen dropped our load squarely on target, and there was a series of terrific explosions - we must have hit an ammunition dump. We flew home as as though on a training mission, and made a textbook landing. We haven't fired a shot during the entire flight."

Squadron Leader Edmund Blackadder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
...Fuel tank fire!...cock-a-doody!...see you at the Duck 'n Dog?!...

Santanico Pandemonium drops out of formation quickly on the return leg to England...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
…out side the Majors office and orderly and two sergeants over heard Pfalzstaff on the horn with the CO of the 390th BG (H).

"...I don't give a rats @## what you thought Major, THAT DAMN FORTRESS is one of my ships. If you lose my crew and their bird on some damned diversion to Meaulte of some other God forsaken h*!! hole in France, I'll have your whole stink’n bombardment group shipped to the Pacific defending Rabaul." Finally the Major stopped long enough to take a breath and then continued, "Now when Lieut. Ruff-Diamond gets his @## back on the ground you patch up his bomber and fuel it up then send him on his way to Elveden. DO I MAKE MY SELF PERFECTLY CLEAR??

With that there was an audible cracking noise as the phones hand set was slammed into its cradle. The orderly remarked, "guess I'll head over to the supply dump now..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR) #69

Pilot: 1st Lt. Seth Gecko
B17: Santanico Pandemonium

Sqdn.: 151st
Mission : 8
Target: Beaumont Le Rogers
Position: High

Crew Status:
Pilot: 1st Lt. Seth Gecko (8)
Copilot: 1st Lt. John Deere (5)
Bombardier: 2nd Lt. Plais Holda (1) KIA
Navigator: 2nd Lt. Ted Raimi (9)* LW
Engineer: Msgt. Razor Charlie(8)***
Radio Operator: Sgt. Ian Ambercrombie (9)
Ball Gunner: Sgt. Kay Sloughter (5)** Me-109
Port Waist: Sgt. Earl McGraw “Texas Ranger”(8)*
Starboard Waist: Sgt. Benno Player (5)
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Fred Williamson “Frost” (8)# Me-109

(Mission Number)
* = fighters shot down
# = 5 Fighters shot down (ACE)

Bomb Drop : 0% (missed)

Fighters Encountered: 15
Fighters Driven off: 2
Enemy Claimed Shot down: 2

B-17s disposition: Moderate. Fire Damage. ??? Peckham Points Total hits: 13.

Mission Description:

Straggling in behind the pack Santianico Pandeomium comes into view. A single flare is shot as she lines up the runway.

A few moments later she touches down and the emergency staff races toward her. They extract the still corpse of an airman from her belly as if stillborn. The remaining crew look bedraggled but elated to be back on the ground.

That evening Seth Gecko is sitting in Major Pfalzstaff’s office once again.

We were almost home sir, with hardly a scratch. We even fought off 5 butcher birds coming in high after bombing the target. But then a flock of 109s descended on us and one lucky bastard hit us from the starboard cheek.

Our nose was hit and Lt. Holda was killed instantly. That’s two bombardiers in as many missions. That German with unwed parents also hit a port fuel tank putting it on fire. That was unlucky shell number 13.

I yelled to Ian to radio it in and promptly fell into an abrupt dive. Considering I’m here before you now is testament of my flying prowess and that this new manoeuvre actually worked! We didn’t see any more enemies while crossing the Channel.

I deserve some sort of medal or something bringing her home, don’tcha think?

I’m no engineer. Do you think she’ll be repairable for next mission or will I need a new bird?

1st Lt. Seth Gecko
Santanico Pandemonium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report

B-17: Indy Go, B17F-20-DL-43-110822
Pilot: Capt. James Nelson
Squadron: 152nd BS
Mission: 69 (this bomber 3)
Date: June 28, 1943
Target: Beaumont Le Rogers, Airfields and Ammo Dumps
Position: Middle squadron, middle

Crew Status:
Pilot Capt. James Nelson (16)
Copilot 2nd Lt. Vince Dickinson (3)
Bombardier 2nd Lt. Arthur Fitpatrick (3)
Navigator 2nd Lt. Aaron Abramson (3)
Engineer MSgt. Andy Williamson ###* (16)
Radio Operator TSgt. Victor Arnold * (14)
Ball Gunner SSgt. Christopher Smith #* (16)
Port Waist Sgt. Michael Murphy * (3)
Starboard Waist Sgt. Stefan Waseleski (3)
Tail Gunner SSgt. Charlie Smith ##** (16)
* = 1 kill, # = 5 kills

Bomb Run: 30%
Fighters claimed:
Tail Gunner SSgt. Smith: 1 Me-110, 1 FW-190

B-17 Status:
Rabbit's foot
Bomb bay doors jammed after bomb drop

Replacements:
none

Debrief:
I really appreciate having the YB-40 with us. I have flown behind it
twice, and both times, it has killed or scared off enough fighters that
we have had a milk run and a barely damaged plane. And also both times,
we have done our job for the 281st, getting our bombs on target and
killing several fighters.

Today, we had not even been attacked by a fighter at IP, and with a
clear line of sight to the airfield, we dropped our bombs on target and
damaged the runways and hangars. On the way back, we met the only
fighters to challenge us, and SSgt. "Tail-End" Charlie Smith destroyed
two of the three.

I thought the plane was undamaged, but in the post-mission inspection, we
discovered that the bomb bay doors were jammed by a shell hit after the
bomb drop.

Capt. James Nelson
152nd BS, 281st BG(H)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:

Game Notes: Another successful flight for the Alymo. In reading the General article on the YB-40, I'm not sure they ever carried bombs so I didn't have any on this mission, just the normal YB-40 ammo load. The General article also mentions that the YB-40s always flew in the Lead slot until the target zone, which to me is another indicator that they never carried bombs. Extra ammo or fuel in the bomb bay, but not bombs. I also ended up using the B-17G defensive fire chart for the 4:30 and 7:30 slots as the YB-40 defensive chart is curiously empty for those slots. I only faced six enemy fighters and managed to shoot down two of them with one probable.

John,
You are correct in not carrying bombs. The YB-40s stored the extra ammo in the bomb bay. And yes, with the GAF Placement Variant you would use the B-17G (Stinger) defensive chart. As for the General article, I found that odd about the YB-40s being used in the lead slot. My understanding was these ships were more in the middle to cover all Fortress's in the BS. Also if they were only in one spot the Germans would learn to stay away from them pretty quickly. During this time the Germans were just changing up the tactics from rear attacks to frontal attacks. The frontal attack was now yet adopted by all staffles. So there was no reason for the YB-40 to be exclusively in the front. Maybe we will place it there on the next mission.

OK, as stated in the briefing, we are still looking for volunteers for up coming missions.... Major Acton? or others maybe!! It is a fun ship to fly... tend to get more kills.

Infomanohio wrote:
See you at the Dog and Duck!

See you there!! Major Pfalzstaff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
so, no bombs load for those who dare to fly the monster. This sounds good, one destruction factor less is always music to my ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report #C3M69
June 28th 1943

A/C name (number): "Purgatory Owl" (B-17F-10 42-5733)
Pilot: 1st Lieutenant Harrison
Unit: 153rd Bombardment Squadron, 218th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
Callsign: Pushover Easy
Mission #: 68/1/1
Target: Airfields and Ammo dumps, Beaumont Le Rogers, Occupied France
Position P/S: Low/Middle

Crew/Status/Actions:
Pilot: 1st Lieutenant Harrison Tyler/OK
-Missions Completed: 1
Co-Pilot: 2nd Lieutenant Laurie LaPorte/OK
-Missions Completed: 1
Bombardier: 2Lt. Melvin Sullivan/OK
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 1.5
-Missions Completed: 4
Navigator: 2Lt. Pat Murray/OK
-AC Total (mission inclusive): .5
-Missions Completed: 3
Flt Engineer: T-4 Andrew Childers/OK
-Purple Heart
-Air Medal w/ cluster
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 7
R/O: T-4 Norman Hall/OK
-Distinguished Flying Cross
-Purple Heart
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 3
Ball Gnr: SSgt. Erik Watson/OK
-Distinguished Flying Cross w/ cluster
-Air Medal w/ cluster
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 33.5
-Missions Completed: 16
Port Wst: Sgt. Joe Levis/OK
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 2
-Missions Completed: 6
Strb Wst: Sgt. David Turner/OK
-Missions Completed: 2
Tail Gnr: Sgt. Israel Green/OK
-Purple Heart
-Air Medal
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 5
-Missions Completed: 6

Medal Recommendations:
None

Enemy Aircraft Claimed:
Staff Sergeant Erik Watson: 1xMe-109
Technician 4th Grade Andrew Childers: 1xFw-190, 1xMe-109

Bomb Drop: ON
Bombing Accuracy: 30%
Bomb Load: 15 x 300 lb H.E. M-31 bombs
Bombing Altitude: 22,500 ft.

B-17 Status:
Nothing to report.

Mission Description:

A quiet mission overall, didn't see any fighters except over the target, no hits on the aircraft, no wounds, dropped on target with about 30% of the ordnance. Secondary explosions observed.

1st Lt. Harrison Tyler
Purgatory Owl
B-17F-10 42-5733
Flight C, 153rd BS, 281st BG (H)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Yeardley
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Excuse me Major, Lieut. Sidney Ruff-Diamond and crew of B-17F, Right Carry On, reporting for duty.

I am afraid we are a little later than expected due to unforseen circumstances. Namely the 390th and then the 381st BG.

I hope this is the base for the 281st BG (H)?"

Sid thought that if this was the wrong place, again!, they would really be in the s***. He did not want to get on the wrong side of this Major, no siree.

Sid remained standing firmly at attention staring at a point two foot above the Majors head and waited to see if any flak was coming his way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR): Mission 69/18
This Bomber: #6 (excluding the “Alymo”)
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 1943
Target:Beaumont Le Rogers. Airfields and Ammo dumps

Crew CO: 2nd Lt. Peter Berg (Pilot)

Plane: “Lady Liberty” (B-17F-75-DO-42-3544-BB-E)
Sqdn: 152nd Bombardment Squadron, 218th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
Position
Sqdn: Middle
Position Plane:Middle
Bomb Load:15 x 300 lb H.E. M31 bombs
Bombing Altitude:22,500 ft (Low Group)

Crew:
Pilot: 2nd Lt. Peter Berg (2)
Co-pilot: 2nd Lt. Michael Schaeffer (2)
Bombardier: 2nd Lt. Chris Klug (2)
Navigator: 2nd Lt. Martin Wollen (2)
Engineer: MSgt. Elliot Taylor (2) *
Radio-operator: TSgt. Neil Wimble (2)
Ball Gunner: Sgt. Ed Stilwell (2) * Me410A-1
Port Waist Gunner: Sgt.Tim Wallace (2)
Starboard Waist Gunner: Sgt. Bob Ackland (2)
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Luke Whitle (2)

(): missions completed
*: fighter claimed previous missions
*: fighter claimed this mission
#: 5 fighters clamed

Bomb Drop: On Target
Bombing Accuracy: 20%

Total Fighters Encountered: 9= 2 Me109F-4R1, 1 Me110C-1, 1 FW190F-8/R2, 1 Me410A-1, 2 Me109G-5, 2 Ju88C-6
Total Fighters Driven Off: 7

Outbound Zone: 4
First Wave 62
Initial: 1 Me109F-4R1, 1 Me110C-1
Driven Off: 1 Me109F-4R1, 1 Me110C-1

Outbound Zone: 4
Second Wave 61
Initial: 1 Me109F-4R1
Driven Off: 1 Me109F-4R1

Homebound Zone: 4
First Wave 34
Initial: 1 FW190F-8/R2, 1 Me410A-1 Destroyed
Driven Off: 1 FW190F-8/R2

Homebound Zone: 4
Second Wave 12
Initial: 2 Me109G-5
Driven Off: 2 Me109G-5

Homebound Zone: 3
First Wave 22
Initial: 2 Ju88C-6 (1 Green)
Driven Off: 1 Ju88C-6
Successive: 1 Ju88C-6

Destroyed E/A: 1 Me410A-1
Probable enemy shot down: 0
Damaged E/A: 0

B17 Ammunition Consumption:
Nose MG: 0/15
Port Cheek MG: 1/10
Starboard Cheek MG: 0/10
Top Turret: 0/16
Radio MG: 0/10
Ball Turret: 2/20
Port Waist: 0/20
Starboard Waist: 0/20
Tail MG: 2/20

Number of Hits sustained: E/A (8), Flak (0)

Damage Report
Groundcrew chief M/Sgt Dave Porter reports the following damage:
Pilot Compartment: 2 Superficial Damage
Radio Room: 1 Superficial Damage
Tail: 3 Superficial Damage
Tailplane: No Effect
Tail: Oxygen Supply, 1 hit

Peckham Damage Points: 21

Mission Debrief:
Thanks to the Alymo no buzzards dared to approch us till we where well over the target. Our little friends and the Alymo proofed their worth. Most of the fighters were scared off. One Me410 lingered on for to long and paid a deadly price for it. Sgt. Stilwell shot it skilfully clear out of the sky.
After the succesfull bomb-drop we went for home while 2 Jerries tried to intercept us but they again were succesfully driven off.
It just seemed to easy. Over the French coastline 2 Ju88 locked their eyes on us. One of them turned tail when he faced the Alymo. The other one was a comletely different story. He managed to hit us 5 times. Surprisingly none of them did really any harm. After leaving his playground we saw no further opposition.
The bird landed a little later safe and sound at the base. Another mission like this and I’m gonna love the auto-pilot!

Respectfully submitted,

2nd Lt. Peter Berg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeywhy wrote:
Sid remained standing firmly at attention staring at a point two foot above the Majors head and waited to see if any flak was coming his way.

...not in the mood for some green horn just out of the states, who thinks he is the cats @##, the Major left the young Lieutenant at attention while he dressed him down. Without looking up from the "next-of-kin" forms he was signing, he started in...

"...Lieutenant, first I want that damned Navigator of yours grounded till he can find his zipper in the dark with his hands tied behind his back. He is restricted to training duties only for a minimum of five days. As for your copilot and bombardier, they too are restricted to training once they return. As for the enlisted men... I'll find some latrines for them to clean for the next week..."

The Major stopped talking and signed a dozen or so forms. The Young lieutenant was noticeably anxious.

"...as for you sir... G2 has requested your presents at an inquiry about some hole called “The Whippet Inn” and a possible court-martial. YOURS!"

Lieutenant Ruff-Diamond stood surprised, he thought this affair had been rectified. Sid cleared his throat... Permission to speak Sir?

The Major glanced up with his eyes only... "...if you must"

With a deep breath the Lieutenant asked... "you mentioned my copilot and bombardier getting back, where are they going?"

The Major finally looked up and replied...

"Sir, the MP's are picking them up right now, they are to go with you to G2. The three of you are going up in front of the Military Review Board for actions unbecoming an officer. Son we have a war on here and I would rather you face death over occupied Europe than face disciplinary actions for a lack of judgment one night. But NO, because you and your officers had to make whoopee I am down a plane and a trained crew. When you get back, and I assume you will sweet talk your way out of getting sacked as well as you did to get into one, your crew will fly tail-end-Charlie so no one can follow you to another bomber group. UNDERSTOOD!!"

"YES SIR!" replied Ruff-Diamond.

The Major Pfalzstaff called in the two MP's waiting outside his door… "Dismissed!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kastrologos wrote:
so, no bombs load for those who dare to fly the monster. This sounds good, one destruction factor less is always music to my ears.

I thought there was the option of loading bombs OR taking the extra ammo. My mistake. I have revised the mission report accordingly for the run to Villacoublay.

Thanks for pointing this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aerogoose wrote:
kastrologos wrote:

I thought there was the option of loading bombs OR taking the extra ammo. My mistake. I have revised the mission report accordingly for the run to Villacoublay.

Thanks for pointing this out!

According to the article in the General, the YB-40 can only go out six zones unless the bomb bay is used for extra fuel. Otherwise, the bomb bay can be used for storing extra ammo. Those bomb bay hits that would usually detonate bombs might detonate the fuel or ammo if the YB-40 is carrying them in the bomb bay (with the same results as hitting the bombs - boom! No more YB-40...).

As for the YB-40s always flying lead until the target zone, I'm sure it was to put the chin guns up front to deter our Jerry friends right away - maybe the Germans would think all of the B-17s had the chin guns (and they would, eventually).

Ironically, on my 1st mission with the Alymo, I scored all my kills and damage to the Germans with the normal guns found on a B-17F. The other gunners must've been busy shooting at the Jerries approaching other B-17s in the squadron...which brings up a question...should we account for ammo used in defending the squadron somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Beaumont le Roger AAR

Mission 69/Bomber 1
Squadron : 152nd
Pilot : Flight Lieutenant Marlow
B-17 : As You Like It

Crew :-

Pilot Flight Lieutenant Marlow (4)
CoPilot Fg Off Oberon (7)
Navigator Plt Off Charles (1)
Bombardier Fg Off Gaunt (1)
Engineer Flt Sgt Lewis #** (8)
Radio Operator Sgt Horatio
Ball Turret Flt Sgt Parkhurst ####*** (27)
Waist Gunner Sgt Regan
Waist Gunner Sgt Costard
Tail Turret Sgt Falstaff

() : missions previously completed.
* : fighters previously claimed

Fighters claimed : 3 x Me 109.
Bombing results : 50% on target.

Debrief

"Good afternoon Major Pfalzstaff. Thankyou, the wound has quite healed. Yes, we had a good mission. Not quite as quiet as Mr. Blackadder's, but at least we all got back alive after a successful bomb run.

We flew a scratch crew today, due to an ongoing shortage of replacements. We were still short of a ball and tail gunner, so Mr. Blackadder called in a favour with the instructors and had Flight Sergeant Parkhurst reassigned to us on a temporary basis. He brought his most promising trainee with him, Sergeant Falstaff.

The briefing stressed that we would have Spitfires covering us out and back, with minimal resistance from Goering's boys, and light or non-existent flak from an unsuspecting target. Also, the YB-40 was flying with our squadron, and Lieutenant Krenzel's chaps would be right behind us. If there was ever a mission to break in the new chaps easily, this was it.

The theory was put to the test as soon as we reached France, as four 109s rose to meet us. Furious fire from the Alymo saw off one, a Spit pounced on another, and Flight Sergeant Lewis brewed up a third. The fourth one sneaked in low from the front and put a single shell through our bodywork, a success swiftly paid for as Sergeant Falstaff shot him out of the sky as he passed.

Five more 109s lifted off from the airfield as we approached. Again, our fighter cover and the Alymo saw off two of them, while Falstaff picked off the one on our tail. One fighter dove right through our formation without firing, but the chap off our starboard wing hit us and stitched both wings, knocking out the number two engine, and hitting the starboard wing root and the outboard fuel tank, which fortunately self-sealed. The bugger made a second pass and hit the port tailplane root, as well as slightly wounding Sergeant Costard. Sergeant Regan damaged him on his third pass and he flew away, doubtless looking for somewhere else to land as we plastered the runways at our leisure, suffering no flak to speak of. A stray 190 passed us as we started the return leg, but didn't trouble us. We didn't see any more enemy fighters, and had a pleasant flight back to Elveden. A few more milkruns like this would be very welcome !"

Flight Lieutenant Christopher Marlow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.