The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – A Journey to Rhosgobel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Destroyed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that Landroval was included in AJTR to save Glorfindel after healing Wilyador and "To the Eyrie" was included to likewise save Radagast. It just makes sense since these specific cards were included in a set that specifically singles out one hero and one ally to be systematically removed from the game (that last "s" was jut to help with the alliteration).

But are they "destroyed"? The term, to me, connotes being defeated by an enemy or treachery card, when in fact they are simply removed from the game.

Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the exact same question come up while playing. We decided that if a character is dealt enough wounds to kill him he is "destroyed", but if a character is "removed from the game" he is not. So basically, I agree with you jrsinor. But you do bring up a good point that Landroval and To the Eyrie seem to be specifically included for that purpose, so now I'm confused.

Hopefully it will be in the next FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched the rule book for the word destroyed and I probably found the answer. This is what it says about Ally cards on page 9:

Quote:
Ally cards are played from a player’s hand,
and they remain in play until they are destroyed or
removed from play by a card effect.

The way I read it, "destroyed" is not the same thing as being removed from play by a card effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, destroyed means having enough wound tokens to remove the character from play. Therefore, the effects of To the Eyrie and Landroval would not apply.

However, perhaps destroyed simply refers to whenever a card is removed from play AND sent to the discard pile. Official ruling is needed, yet again, I'm afriad.

Note, however, that in stage 2 of this quest, said cards are removed from the game rather than put into the discard pile. This means, regardless of whether or not they're considered to have been destroyed, they're not elligible targets anyway, I would assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption has been that "destroyed" means the card left play due to having wounds that meet or exceed hit points. Regardless of whether Radagast is destroyed or not, To the Eyrie would not work. It reads (emphasis added):

Quote:
Response: After an ally is destroyed, exhaust 1 Eagle character to move that ally from the discard pile to its owner's hand.

Since cards removed from the game do not go to the discard pile, this card cannot retrieve them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Even if those things worked (which I believe we all agree they don't) they're probably impractical.

You likely have about 8 turns to find the healing you need.

Let's say you played Radagast on turn 2, built him up to the full 5, and healed 5 from Wilyador, and saved him, and replayed him. Barring other things going miraculously well, you're not going to have time to replay Radagast and build him back up to 5 again.

Glorfindel is even worse...if that combo worked, you'd be spending 5 for the eagle, 1 for 1 point of healing. For a total of 6 reasources for 1 point of healing, which only buys you half a turn. Plus you lose Glorfindel's attachments.

Lore and Athelas are the only practical healing for Rhosgobel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback all around. It does look like those cards do not apply to the specific conditions in this quest, unless we hear something official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.