26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
常常在三台,绵阳 (Santai, Mianyang) 有时候在成都(Chengdu)
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this game (and the others in the series) play solitaire?
How is the replayability of the solitaire game?

If I purchase any of them I will ONLY play solitaire as I live in China (in a very small city) that doesn't have anyone (that I know of) that will play with me. The solitaire playability is all that I am interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays pretty well solitaire, at least I think it does. Sets up quick, plays fast, can quickly play a second, etc. You can even play more than one hero pretty easily, though not completely necessary.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend of Drizzt will be the first in the series to have competitive adventures between heroes which may not play well solo. However the rest of the provided adventures should be easily playable solo, much like all the adventures in Castle Ravenloft and Ashardalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb

I basically agree with everything the others said about solo playability.

As for your not having anyone to play with; once you have your copy(ies) of some of the adventure system games, you could try playing games by forum. Castle Ravenloft has been played by forum three times.
Gravestorm ain't so tough! (Or so we think)
Death To Strahd! (Adventure #10 for 3 Heroes)
The Rift In The Nook (custom Adventure)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play with one hero. I've played each of the solo adventures at least 10 times and still don't get bored. For pure solo play, I highly recommend Adventure 7 of Castle Ravenloft in which you get a different mix of Heroes every time. I'd also strongly suggest to get both, Ravenloft and Ashardalon (and, of course, Drizzt) for the maximum amount of fun. Alternatively, you could just purchase the individual Heroes (http://auggiesgamesonline.3dcartstores.com/Board-Games_c_18....) to use with any of the three games.

To Thrift, thanks for posting this! I had no idea and would gladly join such a game. Maybe we'll get one or two to go when LoD is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Zwerg wrote:
To Thrift, thanks for posting this! I had no idea and would gladly join such a game. Maybe we'll get one or two to go when LoD is released.

You're welcome. shnar, who moderated those games is already part of this discussion, and is the best person to consult on this matter.

What's more, the Adventure System games are only a few of the games that can be played by forum on BoardGameGeek. Here are two geeklists that list some others:
Play By Forum Games on BGG
Print and Play Games that have VASSAL Modules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, yeah, and I will (one of these days) finish tallying up the Ashardalon cards so I can moderate an Ash game too

And of course, if anyone else wants to moderate a game, I'd be more than happy to email you the spreadsheet I'm using.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
shnar wrote:
Yeah, yeah, and I will (one of these days) finish tallying up the Ashardalon cards so I can moderate an Ash game too

And of course, if anyone else wants to moderate a game, I'd be more than happy to email you the spreadsheet I'm using.

-shnar

Thanks.

Maybe someday I'll be able to try it myself, but right now, I'm too busy to reliably be a constant participant in play by forum games.

I'm glad I could inform some of the others about the system, though. I've enjoyed reading through some play by forum games, and I think they might be one of the best resources BoardGameGeek has, for users, thinking about buying the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I would have the patience necessary to play by forum, BUT I will definitely check out the threads. Thanks to all that have commented so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longhaifeng wrote:
How does this game (and the others in the series) play solitaire?
How is the replayability of the solitaire game?

If I purchase any of them I will ONLY play solitaire as I live in China (in a very small city) that doesn't have anyone (that I know of) that will play with me. The solitaire playability is all that I am interested in.

I actually prefer playing CR and WoA solitaire, should be the case with LoD as well, not sure why, probably because I had my best session playing those solo... so yeah, with the AI system (that will be taken by lots of game designer I'm sure i.e. GoW anyone!), it plays extremly well alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
As I play most my games solo, I'd like to ask if anybody knows how many of the adventures included in Drizzt will be competitive?
I love the concept of the two previous games, as it allows to play solo without losing anything from the game. But this time I think I will lose something from the game since it seems that the newly introduced competitive scenarios can be a lot of fun and, actually the novelty for which it is worth buying this particular game if you have someone to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kacek wrote:
As I play most my games solo, I'd like to ask if anybody knows how many of the adventures included in Drizzt will be competitive?
I love the concept of the two previous games, as it allows to play solo without losing anything from the game. But this time I think I will lose something from the game since it seems that the newly introduced competitive scenarios can be a lot of fun and, actually the novelty for which it is worth buying this particular game if you have someone to play with.

I imagine there won't be more than one or two competitive adventures included as the main function of the game is as a cooperative dungeon crawl. I certainly wouldn't see it as a reason to miss out on this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furthermore, there will be a larger pool of heroes to mix n match for each adventure - 8 compared to the regular 5, including some verrrry cool ex-villains.

That should compensate for the reduced number of cooperative adventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that have played these games solitaire:

If you were only going to buy one of them, which would it be? Why?

What is your second choice? Why?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'd probably wait for Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game or go for Gears of War: The Board Game than eithwr of these two. They not terrible games but unless you intend of doing lots of customization they get stale fast.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check into Gears of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for all of your replies.

I also talked to a few friends of mine that have played the game (not solo) and they told me that if I am already playing D&D 4E (which I am doing via Fantasy Grounds II) that I would probably not find much more to enjoy in these games.

I don't know if that is true or not, but have decided based on all of the information I have gathered to not purchase these D&D games.

On the other hand I have looked into Gears of War, and may be purchasing that instead. I have more research to do, but it looks pretty cool!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
longhaifeng wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all of your replies.

I also talked to a few friends of mine that have played the game (not solo) and they told me that if I am already playing D&D 4E (which I am doing via Fantasy Grounds II) that I would probably not find much more to enjoy in these games.

I don't know if that is true or not, but have decided based on all of the information I have gathered to not purchase these D&D games.

On the other hand I have looked into Gears of War, and may be purchasing that instead. I have more research to do, but it looks pretty cool!

Thanks again!

That's entirely up to you. If you don't think you'll like the games, you shouldn't buy them. However, if you're going solely upon the opinions of your friends, I'd like to say that I enjoy 4th Edition, and the Adventure System board games.

These games are fun dungeon crawls, and while they don't have the full depth of RPGs, they nicely compact an entire adventure into an hour or two, and the encounter cards keep things thematic and interesting.

If you and your friends mostly have the same tastes, you probably should listen to them, but I thought you might like another opinion anyway.

That said, you will only be playing the game solo. The games aren't hard to teach to others, and might even be good stepping stones for getting people into Dungeons & Dragons, but because you aren't certain you would be able to convince others to play with you, I'll end my discussion here. I've told you what I could, and what you do with the information is up to you.

I hope this helped somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually used these games to introduce D&D to a girl friend of mine and a friend from work. They have never even heard of RPG's, D&D, and were not in to fantasy that much. That was a coup0le of months ago.
Now, every saturday, the day does not go by without them calling me to DM a session for them. XD
I play 3.5 BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Not to resurrect this thread but now that Drizzt is out...

How do you think the solo play compares to the rest of the series?

I'm planning on picking up one of the three titles this week and I'm going to be playing mostly (or possibly exclusively) solo and I'd like to know which one will give me the most bang for my buck. I'm concerned about the inclusion of competitive adventures in Drizzt and the relative low difficulty due to overpowered characters. Ravenloft sounds like it has a few too many kinks that weren't worked out yet at the time (but undead are cool!). Ashardalon seems like the game to go to but I'd like to hear some of your opinions. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really enjoyed wrath of asharadalon solo. If I remember correctly the treasure cards you get in ravenloft and drizzt are more one shot uses, while the treasure cards in wrath of ashardalon have more that stay with your character which I like better. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the item cards as I have not played Drizzt, just read about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Ahh, yes. I've read similar somewhere (that Drizzt has Ravenloft's one-shot items as well as those that stay with you permanently). Having only items that benefit you just a single time would probably suck but I could deal with a mix. Ashardalon is the only one with a campaign, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the campaign rules were only introduced in WoA.

They are all eminently playable solo but as we know, Drizzt has a few adventure slots for competitive games. Between CR and WoA, it's really a matter of taste. For CR, the midgame has less variety with more punishing encounters but the endgame is more interesting with very creative villains. For WoA, the midgame is more interesting due to monster tactics, doors, long corridors and chambers but the endgame can feel similar even with different villains (unless its Ashardalon himself).

If you don't mind some customs, it's quite easy to introduce monsters into CR that copy the sentry and legion devil tactics from WoA. The named tiles in CR also lend themselves easily to custom events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boogiepop wrote:
Ashardalon seems like the game to go to but I'd like to hear some of your opinions. What do you think?

For strictly solo play WOA is probably your best option because it has the intermediate difficulty of the three games. You'll need to use the Treasure Tokens campaign rules to give yourself a challenge, and you'll want to add in the other two games for variety sooner or later. But it's all good. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses, guys! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.