Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at Toys-R-Us today, and bought Ticket To Ride. If you don't have it, get it. It's a wonderful game. Anyway. When I walked in, a lot of people looked at me like "Is he really going in to Toys-R-Us without a little kid?" That was easily dismissed. As far as they know, I was buying a gift. I spent a few minutes in the game section browsing around. Everyone that passed by me gave me that look of "Is that man really looking at the games?" After a while of looking over, and reading some different games, I settled on Ticket To Ride. I was in line at the check out counter smiling, as I often do, and there were so many people looking at me. Not that it really bothers me, I'm used to strange looks, as I've done far more attention grabbing things in the past. Just kind of amused me is all. All these people looking at me like I'm a freak. What's even worse is when a buddy of mine and I go shopping for games and talk about them, and debate them. That really gets the stares.

Board Games aren't for kids anymore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, do YOU happen to 'stare back' at 'em? If so, then they may 'wonder' about any 'pederast' inclinations, and YES, I'm thinking of the WORST possibility, just as THEY 'would'! Maybe just tell 'em ''Sorry, but I 'prefer' MY young'uns of the SHEEP persuasion!'' to really get their 'goats'!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe ur just ugly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sounds like garden variety paranoia to me. I'll bet no-one looked at you any more, or differently than they do in a supermarket or anywhere else. Kids don't have jobs, therefore its really unlikely they make up most of Toys'r'us's clientelle.

Or maybe you had a booger popping in and out of you nose when you breathed and since you didn't seem concerned about that or your fly being open the whole time, or the toilet paper stuck to your shoe, they figured it wasn't worth mentioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
I don't notice any stares when I go into toy stores and make a bee-line for the games. Furthermore, I don't really care. I gave up caring what people think of me for my odd hobbies many, many years ago.

That being said, are you sure you weren't expecting those stares, and thus projected those feelings onto other people? =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lassonde
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you just 19 anyway? You're still a kid and you're paranoid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be Rancid breath from his onion sundae ...

gotta watch Spongbob otherwise please continue to the next reply...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was your Michael Jackson T-Shirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paranoid? I'm not paranoid. Who told you that? Who ever told you that is wrong. Dead wrong. Heh.

Meh. I am a little paranoid. A while back, I was told by an old lady that I shouldn't be buying toys at my age. Right out of the blue. She comes up to me and tells me I should save the toys for the little kids. After that I've always looked over my shoulder when in the Toy/Game isles of stores.

But I did get some looks, I'm telling you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if it were me... People just think that TRUs is for kids only... Especially when it comes to games, people shouldn't assume anything... You DO know what they say about assuming???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janiera wrote:
You DO know what they say about assuming???

What does Ming have to do with this? I know he's merciless and all, but calling him an ass out of the blue like that is just out of line.

See you at Origins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpancoast wrote:
janiera wrote:
You DO know what they say about assuming???

What does Ming have to do with this? I know he's merciless and all, but calling him an ass out of the blue like that is just out of line.

See you at Origins!

Brat! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I love browsing Toys R Us and any other toy stores. I never have a problem with it. I hit the games first, looking for anything unusual. Then I move onto the Lego section. ( I have a certain weakness for Legos.) Then I hit the rest of the store, checking out the cool toys I wish I had when I was a kid. Most of the time it's just browsing. But every once and awhile, I find a gem. I quickly grab it up so some little kid can't have it and race to the checkout lane. And if anybody asks if it's for me, I hold my head high and proudly and say, "It's for my nephew." Then I go home and play with my new toy(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
GrandpaDave wrote:
Paranoid? I'm not paranoid. Who told you that? Who ever told you that is wrong. Dead wrong. Heh.

Meh. I am a little paranoid. A while back, I was told by an old lady that I shouldn't be buying toys at my age. Right out of the blue. She comes up to me and tells me I should save the toys for the little kids. After that I've always looked over my shoulder when in the Toy/Game isles of stores.

I had an old lady say the same thing to me once, when I was in Toys R US.
So I punched her in the mouth, and said "look gram gram, yous best check yo attitude at da door befores I has to get me gak..."

Thats fixed her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandpaDave wrote:

Maybe your trouser zip was open and your fella was hanging out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times do I have to tell yyou grandpa!!!

Underpants then pants not the other way around!!!

Perhaps they thought you were superman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is available at Toys R Us? /boggle

Perhaps the world is not so far gone as I thought...

I must retire to my secret underground base and ponder this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Ng
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly play boardgames as well as card games at a popular McDonalds outlet.The management there was kind enough to allow us to game on a regular basis. Very often when we are playing we will get different types of people staring at us and once in awhile you overhear some people making not so nice comments.

They probably think we are freaks or geeks. And it doesn't help that most gamers are freaks and geeks. We spend all our money on games and gaming accesories so we don't have much money for anything else.WE wear outdated clothes in garish colours and the last time we bought any clothes was when Clinton was still president.

It also doesn't help that as a lot we have alot of smelly individuals who don't know what soap is and consider showering as an activity you do on special holidays.

On top of all this since we are busy playing games online and offline the only exercise we get is the forearm workout when we roll dice or the finger action when we click the mouse buttons. A gamer has never been on a diet before ans the only diet we know is the orange glow diet. If aNY FOOD LEAVES AN ORANGE GLOW ON YOUR FINGERS its solid gold.WE drink soda instead of water and every meal has to have fries.

If all that isn't enough most of us are bachelors with only a select who are married and have kids.The only members of the opposite sex we have any form of relationship with are our mothers and sisters.No female in the right frame of mind would go out with us since we are cheap bastards that spend more on games then we will ever spend on our female companions.

THE FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN IS WE ALL STILL LIVE AT HOME IN OUR PARENTS BASEMENT.

It is no wonder everywhere we go people stare at us and point.WE ARE MUTANTS. But unfortunately we have no special powers.

The only solution is if we all start spending more time on personal grooming and start working out and watching what we eat. It would also help if we improve our social skills especially with the opposite sex. Imagine an army of boardgamegeeks that look like they came from the cover of GQ wearing tight tshirts with rippling biceps and chiselled faces.People would look at us in awe and actually think if all these good looking people are playing board games it must be cool. If there were hot chicks playing with us all the time we would have guys coming from all over the place trying to get a place in our gaming groups.WE would be the 'it" boys. Just Imagine.

DO NOT TAKEANYTHING IN THIS POST SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainrubber wrote:

If all that isn't enough most of us are bachelors with only a select who are married and have kids.The only members of the opposite sex we have any form of relationship with are our mothers and sisters.No female in the right frame of mind would go out with us since we are cheap bastards that spend more on games then we will ever spend on our female companions.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go out with any female... I'd rather find a good-looking man... but I guess I'll settle for my husband... laugh

That was a great post! Enjoyed it thoroughly! And you are right, most people think all gamers are male... even though there are a few of us females out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainrubber wrote:
Imagine an army of boardgamegeeks that look like they came from the cover of GQ

This won't work without having games which make you look sexy while playing. Most games tend to encourage a lot of sitting on one's ass & thinking, which won't do at all. Maybe if the dice were like 2' blocks of solid wood, so that you had to really work to pick them up and roll them. After a couple of turns, you'd probably have to take off your shirt & wipe the sweat from your taut, well-muscled body.

Oh yeah, another requirement would be that the names of many games would have to change. You know when you & your ruggedly handsome man-friends have been drawing the admiring stares of a group of attractive women with your boisterous/daring/physically demanding gameplay, and one of them finally works up the courage to approach and ask what you're doing, and you have to say, "It's... uhh, well, it's called... `Wiz War?'"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
and one of them finally works up the courage to approach and ask what you're doing, and you have to say, "It's... uhh, well, it's called... `Wiz War?'"

LOL. Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Ng
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on Rusty.We need manly games with manly names.Maybe to make our games more manly and get a great workout in the process I suggest the following. For any of the empire games out there whenver you lose a battle you have to drop and do twenty pushups. For the german games out there at the end of every turn the person with the lowest victory points will drop and do twenty pushups.HOHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainrubber wrote:
For any of the empire games out there whenver you lose a battle you have to drop and do twenty pushups. For the german games out there at the end of every turn the person with the lowest victory points will drop and do twenty pushups.

Frighteningly, when considered against the typical rules for drinking games, this might actually work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
and one of them finally works up the courage to approach and ask what you're doing, and you have to say, "It's... uhh, well, it's called... `Wiz War?'"

I thought for sure you were going to say, "We were talking about Cape Horn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan,

Funniest post ever!! Thanks for makiing me laugh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.