Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Colonel Coo's guide to the Universities of Jolnar. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colonel Coo

Austell
Georgia
msg tools
I love playing the Jol-nar, except when my two neighbors are the Sardakk N'orr and L1Z1X. OUCH!

First off; don't chose technology II with these guys on turn 1. Heck if you can avoid it, don't get tech with them unless you plan on spending all your production on something else.

What do I like with them on turn 1? TRADE! Yes TRADE so that you can get those 3 free trade-goods on turn 1 and be ready for two technology advances very quickly. Also, I like anything that pumps their ability to spend the equivilant of 6 production prior to TECH II being implemented.

Why is this so important? Because the two-tech advances on turn 1 provides two pathways to game dominance.
The first is hyper-production via micro-nano technologies. While the ability to shield your Dreadnoughts and War Suns is nice, the ability to capture planets on turn 1 with them coming to you in a non-exhausted state means you're hyper producing units. Two high value adjacent planets will enable you to totally exploit your starting position.

Alternately, you can go Stasis Capsules into Neural Motivator. I have mentioned before that the ability to gain 9 extra action cards over the game cannot be understated. So you need to chose which is the better pathway for your team. Obviously a bunch of weak adjacent planets will make you lean to action cards, whereas a series of solid production planets likely is better served by the action card bonus route. Remember that on turn 2 you can easily pick up this option as well.

The Statis Capsule help you by motivating your production of Cruisers and groud forces. Remember you start with Hylar V Assualt Laser but no cruisers nor destroyers.

On a wide open map? Turn 1 can lead you right to the production of WAR SUN technology. On turn 1 folks. Personally, it isn't the MOST PRODUCTIVE choice. You are militarily weak and buying tech so that you can build a war sun when you get 11 production points together in one place just doesn't seem the best choice for turn 1.

For me, if you really need to chose a technology tree plan that matches your starting mindset.

WAR: MICRO-NANO tech Round 1
PEACE: Statis Capsules, Neural Motivators

Round 2
WAR: Deep SPace cannons into War Sun (you are gobbling up production, so build some offense with it and go kill some players)
PEACEeep Space Cannons and Gravitation laser systems (yes you can go offensive pretty darn quick)

Round 3
WAR: Magen Defense Grid and XRD transporters
PEACE: Magen Defense Grid and XRD transporters. Hey what can I say, Peace can only last so long. For the Jol-nar, That time is 3 turns.

Round 4:
WAR: supplement your offensive power via something like AD Turrets and go kill someone with Light Wave Deflectors
PEACE: Peace is but a dream. War Suns and Lightwave deflectors. Hopefully you chose Production on turn 4 so that you can build that War Sun at some forward space dock and make a sprint on your opponent's homeworld.

For me, if you've got hte Jol-Nar you must plan on how to kill your neighbors without leaving yourself wide open. You fight very weakly so the War Sun at 4's is your best choice. Hyper Production or extra action cards is your choice. But in the end, War Suns with Light Wave Delectors means you better have a screen set up. Along the way to turn 4, you're going to need to build a lot of slow-them-down ships to keep your space from being completely dominated by your neighbors. -1 on combat doesn't seem like much but it can represent a 30% to 50% disadvantage to your opponent. A war like race on your sides means a defensive war. I would skip going for nano tech on turn 1 and instead start gobbling up action cards. Nano tech is still viable but DSCannons, Gravitation Laser systems will be your friends to hold them off while you bring your economy online. War Suns can come online quick after a devestating PDF volley.

For me, the Jol-nar are easy pluckings when ran by a new player and neighbored by an experienced one. It's easy to get entralled with the idea of 3 tech's a round, but you this approach will bring you to your doom. New players will overspend on the tech leading to no pieces on the board to exploit these techs.

Personnally, the Jol-Nar are one of my favorite races to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
When playing with Leaders, Jol-Nar can easily afford to buy 3 techs per round. Round 1 Micro-Nano. Round 2, both Neurals. 3 techs cost 4+6 resources without discounts. With both Scientists on the same color planets and Neural Motivators, 3 techs is 0+2 resources.

From there, if you have green planets, Cybernetics, Gen Synth, and Hyper Metabolism. Your fighters and GFs are back to normal, you get an extra CC each round, and you can cycle through more ACs each time you draw them, not just during the status phase. You can count on 3-5 more CCs and 3-10 AC re-draws.

If you have red planets, get XRD for free, acquire DSC and ADT. On this route, you should have most of your DNs out. Next round, get Cybernetics for free, Assault Cannons, and Duranium Armor.

With blue planets, DSC for free, XRD and Type IV Drives. Next round, Magen Defense Grid for free, Lightwave Deflector, and Gravity Drives, Maneuvering Jets, or Advanced Fighters. After the next round, you won't even have blues left to purchase, so move those Scientists elsewhere.

Personally, I like to go the green route and aim for getting Cybernetics the same round as both Neurals, so I can get DSC the same round as Hyper-metabolism. Then for the reds, Stasis Capsules, ADT, and Assault Cannons. From there, I abandon the greens and go for blues, get Graviton Laser System, XRD and Type IV Drives. About that time, the game is almost over and all my units are on the board, so I get Magen Defense Grid, Lightwave Deflectors and X-89 Bacterial Weapon. With 3 movement cruisers and 1 admiral'd DN, the Jol-Nar should be able to take the winner's HS or secure their own win.

The main things to know about Jol-Nar is they can easily get a huge economy running early, and their -1 to all combat rolls is mitigated by having maximum pre-combat hits, lots of fodder that will eventually roll 10s, and hoping their big ships slowly wear down the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clemens Auburger
Germany
flag msg tools
I agree with most what has been said here. However, the Jol-Nar should focus on expensive units with a high attack rating, because those suffer least from the malus to all combat rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Doe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Belpfrafzibor wrote:
I agree with most what has been said here. However, the Jol-Nar should focus on expensive units with a high attack rating, because those suffer least from the malus to all combat rolls.

I could not agree more. I always get suns, flagship, and take good care of the admiral on that starting dn. Those 4 ships usually account for a very high % of my landed hits.

I also like to keep 2 pds with each scientist to maximize their abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jol-Nar turn one Trade is probably the 'standard' move. Ideally, Jol-Nar wants to Trade first, then Tech gets played on the same turn, Jol-Nar gets Micro/Nano and then invades planets, gets them refreshed and uses the resources to build.

What happens if the player with Technology delays playing it - as I think he should? Jol-Nar does not have any stalling abilities - assuming that the player with Tech plays it on turn 4 of the round, what can Jol-Nar do in the meantime?

If the tech player delays, then Jol-Nar still gets the technologies but not the advantages from getting planets refreshed, which means that he is at a substantial disadvantage, having built no units on turn one.

In other words, the Jol-Nar turn one Micro-Nano thing won't work nearly as well if the tech player is alert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Basse Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not sure if the Micro+nano is the best move, but if you have the Trade SC and as long as the guy with the tech card isn't Hacaan, you hold a good deal of leverage, as you decide who get to trade, so it should be fairly trivial to reach an agreement with the tech player when to play tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
RAW, the Universities could use Assembly to draw ACs and get enough PCs to buy Nano on the first round. If those ACs are "As an Action" such as "Advanced Reinforcements," then the Jol-Nar suddenly have a way to stall, though they can't outlast people who truly want to keep them from getting it.

The Jol-Nar would still build 2 GFs from Sarween Tools to take over 2 systems on the first round. On the second round, they can get up to 4 untapped systems without building any units. By picking Production themselves and getting Stasis Capsules, they could have every system 2 spaces away from home, though CCs would limit that expansion rate. In other words, it takes away their first round advantage, but not their game-long advantage.

Other options to get Nano on the first round when the Tech player is with-holding: Pick Leadership to go before Assembly. If they can either a) put their Scientist on a planet with a yellow tech spec, or b) get a planet worth at least 2 resources (in case they are chosen for Assembly) they can still get it. Furthermore, they can get more CCs to stall and with a high enough resource planet, use Nar to pay for a 4th CC. Diplomacy II also allows you to go before Assembly, but does not give you the ability to stall, since DipIIb) is best used after getting Nano but before the second build. That whole plan is ruined by the Assembly player using it after Tech.

Trade III also takes away the Jol-Nar's ability to bargain with their 3 TA since it can be broken by other players(read Hacan, Mentak and Initiative) and the trade income is dependent on other players agreeing to trade with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.